Taewon Entertainment

Producer:
Chung Taewon

Broadcast Company:
SBS

Cast:
Cha Seung-won, Jung Woo-Sung, Soo-Ae, Lee Ji Ah, Kim Min-jong, Choi SiWon

Synopsis :
A terrorist group known as "Athena" and led by evil mastermind Son Hyuk threatens South Korea and the world. It is now up to special agent Lee Jung Woo of the National Security Agency to foil their terrifying conspiracy.

Filming Scheduled for:
June 2010

Broadcast:
13 December 2010

Shooting Locations:
Seoul-Korea, Japan, China, Italy, Singapore, New Zealand

Domestic Location:
Seoul-Korea

taken and credit to soompi and  wikidrama

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Author| Post time 25-6-2010 12:09 PM | Show all posts
Post Last Edit by isabel at 25-6-2010 12:19

CAST :

Jung Woo Sung as Lee Jung Woo

Cha Seung Won as Son Hyuk

Soo Ae as Yoon Hye In

Lee Ji Ah as Han Jae Hee

Kim Min Jong as Kim Ki Soo

Choi Si Won as Kim Joon Ho

Lee Bo Young as Jo Soo Young, the President's daughter

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 25-6-2010 12:10 PM | Show all posts
Post Last Edit by isabel at 25-6-2010 12:33

NEWS :

IRIS 2 unveils its leads
March 10, 2010

Well well, now. Producers have announced the two lead stars of its anticipated IRIS 2: Hallyu star Jung Woo-sung and rising actor Cha Seung-won. The drama which will be produced under the title Athena, which is an international terrorist organization that provides the conflict in the sequel.

Jung plays the good guy, while Cha is the bad. Jung&#65533;s character is an agent with the national intelligence agency, named &#65533;Lee Jung-yuk&#65533;; like Lee Byung-heon&#65533;s character, he&#65533;s the top spy at the agency. Cha, on the other hand, is &#65533;Sohn Hyuk,&#65533; the &#65533;absolute leader&#65533; of Athena who trains his agents as human weapons.

Producers at Taewon Entertainment promise that they&#65533;ll be casting sufficiently noteworthy female stars and supporting actors, whom they will unveil in due time. Athena will begin filming in June in either Italy or Switzerland, two of a total of six overseas shoots that include Singapore and New Zealand. It plans for a premiere later this year.

When the rumors floated about Kwon Sang-woo&#65533;s interest in this drama, discussion pointed out that in order to live up to its predecessor, the drama would really have to go big in the casting, and it has done that with Jung Woo-sung. This is Jung&#65533;s first drama role in fifteen years; his last was 1995&#65533;s 1.5 with Shim Eun-ha. (Sidebar: omg, remember 1.5? Unintentional hilarity GALORE! The series was all about the &#65533;1.5 generation&#65533; of Korean-Americans, who feel caught between their mother country but have grown accustomed to living in the States. Good idea, bad execution.)

Cha Seung-won is another great pick; he&#65533;s had a number of film roles but didn&#65533;t really break out until City Hall, where he showed both intense charisma and an ability to portray some bad-guy behavior in a compelling way. If the female leads are as strong (at least stronger than Kim Tae-hee, although it&#65533;ll be hard to top Kim So-yeon), perhaps Athena will hold its own as a worthy sequel.
[Source: Dramabeans + DongA + My Daily]

Su Ae cast as leading lady in IRIS spinoff Athena
April 8th, 2010

Actress Su Ae (Sunny, Bottom of the 9th Inning with 2 Outs) has just been confirmed as the female lead, joining actors Jung Woo-sung and Cha Seung-won in the action-packed blockbuster drama series.

According to Taewon Entertainment, who is producing Athena, the two female leads are part of the National Anti-Terror Service. Similar to the roles played by Kim Tae-hee and Kim So-yeon in IRIS, one is a special agent while the other is a profiler, although both are on the same team this time. Su Ae plays a profiler with the South Korean national intelligence agency with a calm disposition who is set up in a secret organization as a double agent (I&#65533;m thinking Alias, the SD-6 years?). Producers cast Su Ae after looking at actresses who combined beautiful looks with strong acting skills and an ability to convey subtle emotions.

Athena is aiming for a premiere in the latter half of the year, and will begin filming in June.

With the high profile of the first series and the high expectations of a follow-up, a lot of attention has been directed at the casting of this spinoff series. First there was the news that Kwon Sang-woo was under consideration, then speculation about Ha Ji-won. I have to say that while Ha would have been awesome, I&#65533;m very happy about this casting. I hope the other female actress is just as strong.
[Source: Dramabeans + OSEN]

Lee Jia added to Athena
April 14th, 2010

Lee Jia has been cast as the other female lead in the IRIS spinoff Athena, alongside the previously cast Jung Woo-sung, Cha Seung-won, and Su Ae.

She&#65533;ll play a character named Han Jae-hee, who is a special agent in the European office of the National Anti-Terror Service. She is physically tough and level-headed, who will contrast (somewhat) with Su Ae&#65533;s cool and calm double agent character.

Honestly, I can&#65533;t quite put a finger on why I can&#65533;t get fired up about Lee Jia. I&#65533;ve tried to like her in all her previous projects &#65533; she was pretty good in her debut, Legend, though a little less compelling in Beethoven Virus and downright shrill in Style. I just can&#65533;t connect with her and don&#65533;t really feel any sincerity from her acting, which prevents me from sympathizing with her characters. And to think, until now I was all excited about Athena. Though I like the men better in Athena than IRIS (as a whole), I think the women are about equivalent. I might even give the edge to IRIS for Kim So-yeon.

Athena will begin shooting in June.
[Source: Dramabeans + Star News]

Kim Min-jong joins Athena

Kim Min-jong has been added to Athena: Goddess of War, and not only do I love him as an actor, the character sounds great: He plays “Kim Ki-soo,” a North Korean intelligence agent who is arrested by South Korean agents while stationed in China, and then defects to the South. Thus begins a close partnership with the series’ lead star Jung Woo-sung, who plays a South Korean spy. How awesome does that sound, right?

Kim is making a complete 180 from his previous image — serious, gentle — by playing an impudent and snobby character in Athena. In fact, he has been so good at playing the sensitive guy (refer to his heartbreaking Officer Gu in The Return of Iljimae) that if he hadn’t recently gone for an action role in A Man Called God (see above photo), I wouldn’t be sure whether the casting was right. I do recall that he was pretty good at playing a cad in the cable drama Hyena, though, so I have faith he can be convincing as a brash spy.

Athena has just piqued my flagging interest! Aside from Kim and Jung, it also stars Cha Seung-won, Su Ae, and Lee Jia.

http://www.dramabean...g-joins-athena/ via Asia Economy

Choi Siwon joins Athena

Choi Siwon — he of Super Junior and recent romantic-comedy series Oh My Lady — is joining the cast of IRIS’s spinoff drama Athena: Goddess of War. Woot woot!

He joins leads Jung Woo-sung and Cha Seung-won, who play elite spies. His character is named Kim Jun-ho, a newbie to the spy agency NTS who starts out as a data analyst and dreams of becoming a spy himself. Therefore, he looks up to his confident and stylish sunbae Jung-woo (played by Jung Woo-sung) as a mentor to emulate. (Oh, I love it already! Please let there be lots of bromance! I love little-bro dynamics and brotherly affection.) In later episodes, he’ll get to go out into the field.

I’m generally not that enthused about idol stars in dramas, but every once in a while you’ll get one who surpasses your expectations. (See: Eric, Min Hyo-rin.) And out of the current crop of idol stars, I think Choi Siwon has got the most promise; he’s not working at his full potential level yet and he could still improve his range of emotional expression, but he’s got tons of screen charisma. Plus, he’s already got one leading role in a drama under his belt, and while Oh My Lady wasn’t terribly challenging for him or for the viewer, it allowed him to show his leading-man charm. On top of that, let’s just say that compared to who was previously rumored to be taking this role, Choi Siwon is a huge step up.

The drama will begin filming any day now and aims for a broadcast later this year. In addition to Jung Woo-sung and Cha Seung-won, its other cast members are Su Ae, Kim Min-jong, and Lee Jia.

dramabeans Via Asia Economy

Lee Bo Young to appear as president’s daughter in Athena
June 24th, 2010

Athena: Goddess of War is a drama you guys won’t want to miss. It has been under the hot radar of netizens who have been anticipating this drama because it is known as the spin-off of the hit drama, IRIS.

To add onto all of the suspense of the upcoming drama Athena, actress Lee Bo Young will officially star as the role of the president’s daughter.

Having previously appeared in dramas such as The Birth of the Rich and Harvest Villa, this charming and haughty actress will play out the role of Jo Soo Young, the daughter of the president and an overseas student currently studying at Italy.

In the drama, those around Jo Soo Young, including her friends and colleagues, just see her as an ordinary student and are unaware of the fact that she is the president’s daughter. While living a free lifestyle in Italy, the story heads towards thrill and excitement when an international terrorist group kidnaps her and drags her to one of Italy’s mountain grounds. This sparks a group of agents to plan a pursuit in saving her: Jung Woo (played by Jung Woo Sung), Sohn Hyuk (Cha Seung Won), Hye In (Soo Ae), and Jae Hui (Lee Ji Ah).

taken from allkpop

Use magic Report

Post Last Edit by isabel at 25-6-2010 12:57

Note : ini adalah penjelasan yg terperinci oleh PD Chung Taewon  ttg perbezaan antara Athena : Godness of War yang akan bakal ditayangkan di SBS dan IRIS 2 yang akan juga bakal disambung dan akan ditayangkan di KBS2.

Dgn tu drama ini adalah tidak kena mengena gan IRIS sequel...

[INTERVIEW] Producer Chung Taewon - Part 1-3
May 31, 2010

Producer Chung Tae-won

Some say he is a ruthless producer. Some evaluate him as an intelligent businessman. Some consider him as a brother who knows what being loyal is about. After fearlessly stepping into Chungmuro [where the history of Korean film started] in his early twenties as a film importer, he later placed his name on the power list of commercial film producers. He also was the chief of an entertainment company which sees large profits from importing major films such as "The Lord of the Ring" series by utilizing his innate business mindset and close relationship with Hollywood's major film studios.

Then he successfully wrapped up production of blockbuster drama "IRIS" last year and in June is set to start filming "Athena," a 20-billion won spin-off of the series starring top Korean actors Cha Seung-won and Jung Woo-sung. He is a hard core workaholic who said that even on the day of his interview with 10Asia, he watched the final edit version of film "Into Fire" which is awaiting release in June after taking care of several lawsuits and contracts regarding "IRIS." People may have mixed feelings about this fast-moving mass of energy, especially in the Korean entertainment business where sensitive artists are held in high esteem and numbers and size are dismissed. But put aside the fact that he is a successful producer, nobody will be able to deny his passion for films based on how he has walked a single career path. He is Chung Tae-won, the CEO of Taewon Entertainment.

Beck Una: This office is smaller than your previous one but there's a much more stable feeling to it

Chung Tae-won: Because it's where you need to concentrate and make decisions. I actually prefer to work from home or be on set -- I don't really come into the office other than when I do interviews. Should I say that my life is somewhat like the life of an actor? (laugh) Since it revolves around the dramas or films that I decide to take on.

Beck: I actually think the level of interest and expectation for "Athena," set to air around the end of this year, shot up instantly because of news that Jung Woo-sung and Cha Seung-won were cast for the show.

Chung: I need to take the international market into consideration so of course Hallyu stars were at the top of my list. But the thing is, they all seemed weak compared to Lee Byung-hun. And I didn't want the show to give off the impression that it has a weak cast when I wasn't sure if having someone stronger [than Lee] would do enough. So after a lot of hard thinking, I decided to give up on casting a Hallyu star and just focus on the Korean viewers. [Thinking] Who wouldn't seem weak compared to Lee Byung-hun in Korea? Ah! Then I should have two [actors]. Ones that are tall. (laugh) Cha Seung-won had been cast first and then Jung Woo-sung but I think the response was good because it was announced at the same time. And I differentiated Jung Woo-sung's character from Lee Byung-hun's so that they would be incomparable. Jung isn't an elite agent but a character who in the beginning, is lax and makes a lot of mistakes.

Beck: And then when the female cast was announced, everyone was quite taken aback.

Chung: I think I wanted to avoid casting someone who people would be sure of doing a good job. I thought it would be better if Soo-ae, with her obedient and quiet image, could take viewers by surprise by pulling off the role of a spy. You have no idea how people were against casting Kim Tae-hee in the beginning. (laugh) [But] TV doesn't end in a single episode. All you need to do is win after fighting against viewers for two and a half months, no matter how unsatisfied they might be in the beginning. You know how many anti-fans E Ji-ah has, right? (laugh) I'm going to use this as a chance to reveal the truth behind the numerous suspicions about her. I actually like people who are incomplete. I think I feel rewarded when someone becomes popular because of working with me. Plus Soo-ae has a classic look while E Ji-ah has a modern look so I liked that combination too. Anyway, I want this drama to become regarded as a production which overturns the response over the casting.

Beck: There was a time when 'seasonal dramas' were talked about but many people were skeptical they would work in the Korean market. However, in the case of "Athena," it's connected to "IRIS" for sure but have different actors. How were you sure you would be able to continue the series with a different cast? Were you just that confident about the plan?

Chung: There are a lot of people who think "Athena" is "IRIS 2" but "Athena" is a spin-off and "IRIS 2" will air on KBS next year. With Lee Byung-hun and Kim Tae-hee. I can't say that their casting has been set for sure but no fool would pass on the chance with the advantages my cards can provide. So in the end, it's up to me. I need to prepare a set of cards that will make the show attractive enough for them to take on again. I've already written down how Hyun-joon (played by Lee Byung-hun) resurrects. (laugh) I told the actors and they liked it. There are three versions. The first, that Hyun-joon resurrects and leads a whole new 20 episodes and the second that Hyun-joon will appear in the beginning and a new character will take over midway with a new team. According to the third plan, Hyun-joon dies and a new intelligence team takes over the story. I can't guarantee as of yet that the casting will stay the same but I can definitely make "IRIS 2."

Beck: So we can regard "Athena" as a start to a new series?

Chung: Like there's a New York and Las Vegas, there can be an NSS and NTS so "Athena" will be about the NTS. So there will be some crossover characters from "IRIS." For example, Jung Woo-sung in "Athens" could run into Kim Seung-woo from "IRIS" in front of the North Korean embassy in Switzerland and ask how President Cho Myung-ho is doing. And when "IRIS 2" is made next year, Jung Woo-sung could make an appearance in that too. But the thing is, one will be aired on KBS and the other on SBS. (laugh) In American TV series, crossovers usually occur when they are aired by the same broadcaster or made by the same production companies but in our case, the production company remains the same while the broadcaster will be different. I think it'll provide an interesting type of tension -- we're experimenting with different ways.

Beck: "IRIS" took over the Gwanghwamun Square in downtown Seoul for one of its shoots so I think viewers will expect to see even bigger and better in "Athena." You must be pressured by this.

Chung: Yes. But rather than that being a burden, I feel an even greater desire to try new things for "Athena." The total budget for "IRIS" and "Athena" both stand at 20 billion won but the success of "IRIS" has paved a way for us to invest less money in "Athena" but do more because we have many people saying they will support the production of the show this time. Our crew have been trained on the set of films so they have great fighting capabilities. When something needs to be done, nothing is impossible. They may think about what they need to do to make something happen but they will never ask for something else because the original plan can't be carried out. And of course, it's probably also because I go nuts and put on a fit when I don't like something. (laugh) Everyone is always improving because when I go on set, I give each and every team a hard time -- the props team, camera crew, lighting crew, CG team, arts direction team. Even just this morning, I had been watching season eight of "24" but everyone is watching American dramas these days, including myself, so I can't help my level of expectation heightening. Hence, the crew know I will keep demanding for better so they are always very nervous. We need to rework props to create something that has never been seen before but it makes all the difference the next time we do it. I'm the type that doesn't take no for an answer. I'll say, we don't have it? Make it. We have two art teams for "Athena" and have reinforced our props team. And I'm in the process of receiving the floor plan for the NTS set which looks amazing.

Beck Una: The scale of your overseas location shoots have become bigger too.

Chung Tae-won: Italy, Singapore, Japan, China... and we may go to New Zealand too. And we won't just shoot scenes for the beginning of the drama but we'll be going overseas midway too. We'll be filming more efficiently too because we've divided up the crew into three units. When team A is shooting in Italy, team B will be prepping in Singapore, while the last team will be in charge of doing the special effects and CG. There were several parts I realized I could shoot more effectively while making "IRIS" so I'm going to apply them as much as I can. And everything happened so quickly with "IRIS," there was no breathing space other than the scenes at the college in the first and second episodes, but there will be more humor in "Athena." I'll also have a lot of supporting actors positioned throughout the show.

Beck: When does "Athena" go into production?

Chung: We'll start shooting in Korea in June, then in Singapore and northern Italian cities such as Rome and Venice in July, then we'll come back and go to Beijing around September and shoot in Japan after the tenth episode. Like so, I think we'll be filming for about five months and the show will go on air around November. Viewers will keep guessing [about the show] and we should be able to go around such predictions so we can't have everything produced in advance. The moment our plan gets exposed, we will have to shoot that part again. I take the opinions of netizens into much consideration. Blogs too -- I sometimes get my ideas from them. (laugh)

Beck: Taewon Entertainment was established in 1995 so it's already into its fifteenth year. The Korean film industry went through much hardship during that time until its bubble from its own Renaissance period that it experienced popped. What do you think the past 15 years have been like?

Chung: Ha... I had a hard time. (laugh) Of the people who were ranked in the power lists of film magazines during that time, there are very few who are still active. That's how tough and difficult it is to stay in this business is. There are many people who emerged with the determination that they would create a new wave but disappeared just like that from the scene. So I guess I'm just one of the people who have managed to survive. I set up a corporation under my own name in 1995 after having first worked in the U.S. starting 1986. After promoting concerts, I got started in the video industry in 1988 and imported films from overseas, starting with "The Mask" in 1992. Then I set up a company in Korea in 1995, released "French Kiss," hosted Michael Jackson's concert in 1996, then produced "Hallelujah" and released a Korean film for the first time in 1997.

Beck: You were in Korea up till high school but went to the U.S. for college.

Chung: A lot of my close friends immigrated to the U.S. and I too just wanted to try living there too. When I was young and see exchange students at my school, I would think they are cool because I used to have a buzz cut but they had long hair. (laugh) So I told myself that I would go to the U.S. when I grow up. I also didn't have much of an interest in studying. I first went to San Francisco and then to study in L.A. which is where I started my first business.

Beck: What sort of business was it?

Chung: I held a concert for Korean residents overseas at the L.A. auditorium with Korean folk guitarist singers such as Yoon Hyung-joo, Kim Se-hwan, Cho Young-nam, Yang Hee-eun and it did very well. It was a lot of fun and I felt that this was what I should be doing. Then I joined an American entertainment firm where I learned about American concerts and I started promoting concerts thereafter, inviting Korean singers. Then for the 1988 Seoul Olympics, I planned an Olympic fashion show where I took models to Korea and held the event with KBS.

Beck: You were in your early 20s in 1988. You must've been quite the bold young man. (laugh)

Chung: Yes, I was extremely bold. (laugh) There was a video boom in the late 1980s in Korea -- with several hundred video companies and quite a number of video magazines too. Back then, 10,000 to 20,000 copies of videos from overseas would be sold if there was a main character holding a gun in the story. It was a crazy period. So anyway, I entered that market and became a dealer myself, importing American movies and selling them in Korea. I sold the most. (laugh) May over 500 films? Because I made at least 10,000 dollars. I really made a lot of money and also spent it so easily. Because I was young. Man, I wonder where all that money went. (laugh) But I've done nothing but work. I was never interested in other businesses such as real estate. People outside see me as much of a businessman but I think I've used everything I've made in movies. Not that I'm bad at doing business. (laugh) An executive president with CNN that I've known for a long time calls me 'street smart' when introducing me to other people. That everything I know comes from my experience off the streets. I also always put forth senseless and rubbish philosophy when I do business with foreigners.

Beck: What kind?

Chung: Things such as loyalty or sacrifice? (laugh) That you cannot move someone without making sacrifices. When I first started in this business, my competitors were the owners of theaters. Then as conglomerates jumped into the business, those people fell down and conglomerates were competing for better prices. But then they deserted the industry too, a new form of capital entered, firing up the competition for multiplex theaters... So anyway, most people from Chungmuro got wiped out during that process. And I squirmed to survive. (laugh)

Beck: What's the secret to your amazing survival?

Chung: Not overdoing it? Even when something does well, I wouldn't let myself become influenced with it too much. I'd accept it as it giving me the capability to pay my employees for the next two years, pay the rent for my office and do the work that I want to do. On the other hand, my stomach would turn when something that I've done flops but after thinking about it once, I wouldn't look back on it. I try and forget about bad experiences as quickly as I can because they won't help in any way. Another reason [I could survive] was because I had an eye for the business. I was able to foretell what would happen with the industry and position myself in the right place. When I need to go with the flow, I would make sure I was doing a proper job of that and when I need to stand on my own feet, I'd do that too. But if things didn't work out even then, I'd have backup plans just in case and that's how I've come to where I am today. But I'm a stubborn person so I think I've always ended up accomplishing my convictions. I made a lot of enemies in the process of doing so. The number of contacts I have on my mobile phone decline every year. I have about 200 names saved but I think 100 of them are numbers I got over the past six months. I think they'd all be deleted in the next six months since I'll be meeting the person I'm working with then. But I won't live my life like that anymore. I realized I have been very closed-minded.

Beck Una: You're well-known as being a producer who works closely with the actors. There are many actors who like you or you get along with and you run a management agency too.

Chung Tae-won: I always think of myself as their older brother. And that I should make the sacrifices for them first since I'm their older brother. But when I make new attempts, I expect them to engage in them for their faith in me rather than for the money. On the outside, Taewon [Entertainment] is perceived as a company which is overflowing with money but our organs are the only things that aren't held [as security]. (laugh) Every project is difficult in the beginning but the actors have always helped since they know their older brother is going to make a movie, not buy land, by making money. (laugh) Both "IRIS" and "Into Fire" are also productions which would have been difficult to make without that trust. When a movie doesn't do well, the actors are the first people I feel sorry for. I wheedled them into doing it but I would leave a scratch in their life due to that film. It remains a debt in my heart. And I want to do whatever I can to repay that debt. The nickname for our company is actually "Taewon Rehabilitation Facility." (laugh) I can't work with actors like Song Kang-ho because he's always on top of his game and has no flaws. I rather like it when actors are in a crisis and I can help them 'rehabilitate' after working with me. The actor I'm most looking forward to 'rehabilitating' is Kim Min-jong because I worked on "Butterfly" with him in the past but it hadn't done well. He plays a very important role in "Athena." He'll play a very funny North Korean agent who defects to South Korea.

Beck: "IRIS" is currently showing in Japan on TBS, right?

Chung: I love the fact that "IRIS" is being enjoyed not only by original Hallyu fans but the young generation since most Hallyu fans are getting older. (laugh) The Hallyu which started due to "Winter Sonata" was great but I think it's also the main cause behind the anti-Hallyu. The fans were mostly middle to old aged women so people started to dislike seeing their moms or wives immersed in Korean dramas. And most of these so-called "Hallyu dramas" were romantic so young people and middle-aged men disapproved of them. So I think the new point to the Hallyu trend these days is that people like Korean groups such as TVXQ, Big Bang and even girl groups. And "IRIS" is not a typical melodrama in that it moves on a much faster pace than the original fans of Hallyu are used to. TBS and our strategy too was not to target at Lee Byung-hun's original fans. Unlike past dramas which were targeted at the Hallyu, we left out the world 'Hallyu' on purpose and promoted it as if it were the average Japanese drama. We did not send out pictures which showed Hallyu fans crowded at airports. For us, it was most important that we attracted a younger fan base as well as male viewers. Was it 4.6 percent last week? TBS' satellite channel scored its highest rating to date. The fifth episode will air this Wednesday but I heard it's the first time [a foreign drama] has gotten into the nine o'clock prime time slot after an American drama got into the eight o'clock.

Beck: How did you do the planning for "Into Fire"?

Chung: I had always wanted to try making a war film and felt it would never happen if I didn't do it now. 2010 marks the 60th anniversary of the [Korean] war and it seemed that the younger generation would start recognizing it as an ancient incident, closer to the Japanese invasion of Korea in the 16th century, a war that not even their grandfathers experienced. So I realized how important it would be to make the film this year and tell the younger generation about how awful and horrible a war is. I hope "Into Fire" sells but more than that, I'm hoping that many people get to see what times the generation before us lived through.

Beck: Lee Jae-han directs "Into Fire" but he grew up overseas. Did you purposely let him helm the film despite him probably having less of a sense of what happened during the times of war?

Chung: I was actually hoping that he'd produce a different type of war movie. But once he actually got started on it, I realized that there was too much of a gap. The imagery was better than I expected it to be because he's strong with visuals but being someone who has no knowledge of the war and from a different generation, I joked to him in the beginning that I have no idea which war he was shooting. From midway on, I actively took part in the dramatization of the film and we worked on it together. I am confident now in that everything is at a satisfying level.

Beck: You said you dream of becoming a producer like Harvey Weinstein but he has a director like Martin Scorcese. So far you have worked mostly on films where the producer plays a big part but don't you dream of working with a strong director like Scorcese?
Chung: Of course I do. Like director Kim Ji-woon. But I think I'm not worthy of working with him. Why would he work with me? You've probably heard why through rumor. (laugh) My nickname is 'Kim Il-sung.' Because I get everything done my own way.

Beck: Could such active interference and participation possibly mean that you may become a director one day?

Chung: No, not really. Not that I can guarantee it but for now, I like being a producer. I always say this to directors. that I'm not an enemy but to just consider me as a strong-willed and experienced assistant director. That the director is there to do art and that I'm someone who needs to find the point where people will find satisfaction. I persuade them by showing them the results of how I have done so far. And when I still can't persuade them, I become Kim Il-sung. (laugh)

Beck: What is at the core of what you produce, or do you have a philosophy?

Chung: There are various types of producers right? Some work around the director and some work around the producers but I don't think it's correct to say which is right or wrong. Apparently, I'm the latter. But I think commercial films and dramas is what I'm good at. I have some know-hows that I have gained in both Korea and overseas so rather than teaching or interfering, I believe I'm an assistant who can give tips. And some directors will be good at accepting that while others won't. I don't think I'm treating the directors badly. I'm also not overstepping my bounds because I'm greedy to be the director. I just think that I am a producer who is extremely devoted to balancing the artistic and commercial aspects to a movie. And I have no intention of changing my style. Of course, I do think I could soften up a bit because I'm quite rigid. (laugh) But I think I'll continue to live as this kind of producer and believe that producers like me need to exist.

Beck: It won't be easy actualizing the cards you have already pulled out but are there any other cards that you are may be planning on pulling out?

Chung: I have a lot in mind right now but I think I'll focus on "Athena" and "IRIS" for now. I also want to gather my comedic family (laugh) which includes actors such as Shin Hyun-joon, Tak Jae-hoon and Kong Hyung-jin to create a drama like the "Sopranos." I would distribute the soft version on a public network while the hard version on cable and make a real action-comedy which has been upgraded in every aspect possible. They'd fight against the Yakuza's in Japan and Mafia from Italy. And we usually have a lot of fun on set so everyone has been begging we get started soon. But I have a couple productions I have to focus on for now so I'm going to sign on a scenarist first to get started on the script.

Beck: I'm guessing you won't be making a film for a while then with such plans for the near future.

Chung: I've done a total of 28 films so far including "Into Fire." I need a break. I'm not sure about anything else but I have great drive. When I start, I'll just push forward fiercely. Many things wouldn't have happened if I hadn't. And I think that's how I ended up producing films for the past 15 years. That's how long I've been releasing films so whether it be a success or not, I think there hasn't been a time that I haven't had a hard time. And now, I think I'm leaning more toward TV [shows] which are like movies. High ratings have a ripple effect which does not compare to a film which has drawn in over 10 million moviegoers. The thrilling feeling I get is different too and the market is also much bigger. A movie will only be watched once but a country will live on a well-made drama for months. I've just started so I want to try a few more dramas. And then when I feel like making movies again, I'll probably start rummaging through a couple scripts. Every moment, I just want to do what is most fun and what I want to do the most. I love being on set. It makes me feel like I'm becoming healthy.

Editor in Chief : Beck Una one@ Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@, Jang Kyung-Jin three@, Lee Ji-Hye seven@ <&#9426;10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

Use magic Report

RESERVED

Use magic Report

Post time 26-6-2010 12:37 AM | Show all posts
Kim Hyun Joong x jadi yerr berlakun dlm cite nie..dgrnyer psl ada kena mengena gak psl kontrak ss501 ngan DSP tu..

Use magic Report

Follow Us
Post time 26-6-2010 01:01 AM | Show all posts
yang rumors SNSD girls berlakon tu dlm Athena ni la kan?

Use magic Report

Post time 26-6-2010 11:45 AM | Show all posts
drama neh sambungan iris versi baru ker??

tp sker popuan heroin tuh!!~chantik...

si won polis ek dlm dram neh???

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 27-6-2010 08:23 PM | Show all posts
smart tul tgk siwon kat gambo promo drama neh...

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 28-6-2010 10:08 AM | Show all posts
Kim Hyun Joong x jadi yerr berlakun dlm cite nie..dgrnyer psl ada kena mengena gak psl kontrak ss501 ...
langit_biru18 Post at 26-6-2010 00:37

yup ada kena mengena gan kontrak SS501 yg baru luput tu since producer ni berurusan gan company lama KHJ so...gan tu Siwon ler yg jadik penganti KHJ dlm ni...utk pengetahuan semua Siwon bawak watak new rookie NIS dlm citer ni under ketua dia Cha Seung Won..

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 28-6-2010 10:10 AM | Show all posts
yang rumors SNSD girls berlakon tu dlm Athena ni la kan?
wordlife Post at 26-6-2010 01:01

sepatutnya Yoona berlakon sbgai lead dan member yg lain sebagai bunga2 dlm tu...
tapi too bad sbb clash gan activity diorg utk Asia Tour Concert yg akan bakal dilancarkan so terpaksa ler tolak tawaran ni...

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 28-6-2010 10:14 AM | Show all posts
drama neh sambungan iris versi baru ker??

tp sker popuan heroin tuh!!~chantik... ...
skymania Post at 26-6-2010 11:45

sebagaimana yg PD citer ni ckp...
ni x ada kena mengena gan IRIS tapi tu ler semua org masih dok ckp ni kesinambungan IRIS walaupun dah clear statement PD tu bagi...
ni kelihatan nyer Lee Ji Ah tu bawak watak penganas sbb dia ada kata dia x ada masalah bawak dan angkat senjata berat...

Use magic Report

Post time 28-6-2010 10:18 AM | Show all posts
sebagaimana yg PD citer ni ckp...
ni x ada kena mengena gan IRIS tapi tu ler semua org masih  ...
isabel Post at 28-6-2010 10:14

oooo...so totally tak kene mengena la neh...bagus,,,

kang terbayang LBH plak maklumla ending IRIS tuh cam sengal skit..

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 28-6-2010 10:31 AM | Show all posts
oooo...so totally tak kene mengena la neh...bagus,,,

kang terbayang LBH plak  ...
skymania Post at 28-6-2010 10:18

ala citer ni pun x leh letak  expectation tinggi sangat sbb ending x akan berakhir gan baik mcm IRIS tu...

Use magic Report

Post time 29-6-2010 09:20 AM | Show all posts
sepatutnya Yoona berlakon sbgai lead dan member yg lain sebagai bunga2 dlm tu...
tapi too ba ...
isabel Post at 28-6-2010 10:10 AM

erk, motipp producer nak amik puan sri yoona jd lead actress?? mcm x sesuai jer!!
nasib baik la x jd kan... huhuhu ~~ jahat betul sy ni kan...

btw, lps ni pun makin kurus la siwon sbb dia pun akan bz dgn pomot lagu baru & SS3!!

Use magic Report

Post time 29-6-2010 12:20 PM | Show all posts
ala citer ni pun x leh letak  expectation tinggi sangat sbb ending x akan berakhir gan baik m ...
isabel Post at 28-6-2010 10:31

kenapa la producer korean ni suka buat ending yg sengal2...
cuba la ending tu straight foward sket, senang hati viewer nih..

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Author| Post time 29-6-2010 03:25 PM | Show all posts
erk, motipp producer nak amik puan sri yoona jd lead actress?? mcm x sesuai jer!!
nasib baik la x jd kan... huhuhu ~~ jahat betul sy ni kan...

btw, lps ni pun makin kurus la siwon sbb dia pun akan bz dgn pomot lagu baru & SS3!!
rukiaichigo Post at 29-6-2010 09:20

haha...sebenar2nya terus terang dia masih x layak gi pegang watak2 yg mcm ni...terlampau fragile...kang patah2 dikerjakan oleh penganas...tgk aje mcm mana Kim Tae Hee berlakon sampai lebam sana sini...

siwon lak...i like him klu dia pegang watak mcm TOP...hensem and dangerous gitu...hahahaha

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 29-6-2010 03:28 PM | Show all posts
kenapa la producer korean ni suka buat ending yg sengal2...
cuba la ending tu straight foward sket, senang hati viewer nih..mangi Post at 29-6-2010 12:20

aya...lagi ler x best klu jln citer mcm tu...mesti ler juga kena ada twist sana sini...

apa pun kita tunggu aje ler mcm mana nanti...

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 29-6-2010 03:30 PM | Show all posts
@kia...

jom kita buat stalking tgk diorg shooting masa kat singapore nanti...?
mesti siwon happy klu nampak kita dtg...

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 29-6-2010 03:49 PM | Show all posts
the promo pics...

Jung Woo Sung as Lee Jung Woo who plays a top agent with the National Anti-Terror Service. (IRIS was set amongst the National Security Service, or NSS, while Athena moves to the NTS.)

Soo Ae as Yoon Hye In a sexy as an NTS agent.

Cha Seung Won as Son Hyuk  is as a North Korea spy

Kim Min Jong as Kim Ki Soo play a North Korean defector who becomes Jung Woo-sung’s partner

Choi Si Won as Kim Joon Ho  starts out as a newbie data analyst and looks up to his sunbae Jung Woo-sung, but he’ll get his turn in the spy limelight later in the series.

Lee Ji Ah as Han Jae Hee rounds out the group of agents

not in promo photo :

Lee Jung-gil as the president Jo Myung-ho

Lee Bo Young as Jo Soo Young, the President's daughter

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT
Follow Us

ADVERTISEMENT

Mobile|Archiver|Mobile*default|About Us|CariDotMy

18-10-2024 07:22 PM GMT+8 , Processed in 0.101952 second(s), 31 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.