CARI Infonet

Forgot password?
 Register

ADVERTISEMENT

View: 2500|Reply: 4

◘◘ 4,000 yr old temple unearthed in Peru ◘◘

[Copy link]
Post time 12-11-2007 09:43 PM | Show all posts |Read mode
Temple built 4,000 years ago unearthed in Peru By Marco Aquino Sat Nov 10, 8:38 PM ET

Temple built 4,000 years ago unearthed in Peru
By Marco Aquino Sat Nov 10, 8:38 PM ET

LIMA (Reuters) - A 4,000-year-old temple filled with murals has been unearthed on the northern coast of Peru, making it one of the oldest finds in the Americas, a leading archaeologist said on Saturday.
[size=-2]ADVERTISEMENT

The temple, inside a larger ruin, includes a staircase that leads up to an altar used for fire worship at a site scientists have called Ventarron, said Peruvian archaeologist Walter Alva, who led the dig.

It sits in the Lambayeque valley, near the ancient Sipan complex that Alva unearthed in the 1980s. Ventarron was built long before Sipan, about 2,000 years before Christ, he said.

"It's a temple that is about 4,000 years old," Alva, director of the Museum Tumbas Reales (Royal Tombs) of Sipan, told Reuters by telephone after announcing the results of carbon dating at a ceremony north of Lima sponsored by Peru's government.

"What's surprising are the construction methods, the architectural design and most of all the existence of murals that could be the oldest in the Americas," he said.
Lambayeque is 472 miles from Lima, Peru's capital.
Discoveries at Sipan, an administrative and religious center of the Moche culture, have included a gold-filled tomb built 1,700 years ago for a pre-Incan king.

Peru is rich in archaeological treasures, including the Inca citadel of Machu Picchu in the Andes.
Until the arrival of the Spanish in the 1500s, the Incas ruled an empire for several centuries that stretched from Colombia and Ecuador in the north to what are now Peru and Chile in the south.

"The discovery of this temple reveals evidence suggesting the region of Lambayeque was one of great cultural exchange between the Pacific coast and the rest of Peru," said Alva.
(Writing by Terry Wade; Editing by Peter Cooney)

wowww ~ a treasure for the archealogical department...  

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Author| Post time 12-11-2007 09:44 PM | Show all posts
LIMA, Peru - Carbon dating tests and excavation of a colorful pre-Incan temple indicate that it was built thousands of years ago by an advanced civilization, a prominent archaeologist said in comments published Sunday by a Peruvian newspaper.

Unearthed in Peru's archeologically rich northern coastal desert, the temple has a staircase leading to an altar that was used for worshipping fire and making offerings to deities, Walter Alva, who headed the three-month excavation, told El Comercio.

Some of the walls of the 27,000-square-foot site

Use magic Report

Post time 12-11-2007 10:05 PM | Show all posts
mmm how i wish i followed my dream to become an archealogist.. why oh why cockroach you force me to abandon my dream??

Use magic Report

Post time 12-11-2007 10:06 PM | Show all posts
mmm how i wish i followed my dream to become an archealogist.. why oh why cockroach you force me to abandon my dream??

Use magic Report

Post time 12-11-2007 11:07 PM | Show all posts
peru has been widely known for its archaeological sites. as for this, we may discover yet another proof of advanced civilization, as what抳e been found in other archaeological sites like inca, machu pichu

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT
Follow Us

ADVERTISEMENT

Mobile|Archiver|Mobile*default|About Us|CariDotMy

17-5-2024 07:42 AM GMT+8 , Processed in 0.056826 second(s), 30 queries .