Close [Copy link]
Post time 30-7-2009 04:46 PM | Show all posts
x saba nk pegi tgk GI Joe kat cinema...go Hunnie oppa~~:pompom::pompom:

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Author| Post time 3-8-2009 01:39 PM | Show all posts

'G.I. Joe' premiere in Tokyo
Last Updated: 27th July 2009, 12:20pm

Left to right; U.S. actors Marlon Wayans, Rachel Nichols, Channing Tatum, British actress Sienna Miller and South Korean actor Lee Byung-hun pose for photographers during the Japan premiere of their latest film "G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra" in Tokyo Monday, July 27, 2009. (AP Photo/Shizuo Kambayashi)

South Korean actor Lee Byung-hun waves to fans during the Japan premiere of his latest film "G.I. Joe:
The Rise of Cobra" in Tokyo, Monday, July 27, 2009. (AP Photo/Shizuo Kambayashi)

Left to right; Producer Lorenzo di Bonaventura, U.S. actors Marlon Wayans, Rachel Nichols, Channing Tatum, British actress Sienna Miller, South Korean actor Lee Byung-hun and director Stephen Sommers pose for photographers during the Japan premiere of their latest film "G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra" in Tokyo Monday, July 27, 2009. (AP Photo/Shizuo Kambayashi)

Japanese fans, mostly South Korean actor Lee Byung-hun's supporters, wave to cast members at the red carpet
ceremony of "G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra" in Tokyo July 27, 2009. REUTERS/Kim Kyung-Hoon

Lee Byung-hun ® and Rachel Nichols attend a red carpet ceremony in Tokyo July 27, 2009.
REUTERS/Kim Kyung-Hoon

Source: torontosun.com

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 3-8-2009 01:40 PM | Show all posts

July 28, 2009

Cast members, British actress Sienna Miller (L) and South Korean actor Lee Byung-hun ® attend the premiere of the movie 'G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra', in Tokyo, Japan, 27 July 2009. Directed by Stephen Sommers, 'G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra' will open in Japan on 07 August. EPA/FRANCK ROBICHON

Source: media.daum.net

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 3-8-2009 01:40 PM | Show all posts
July 28, 2009

Korean star is in GI Joe: The Rise Of Cobra, but ...
You can't see his face on the posters  
(actually.. we can.. via the Korean posters ^^)

KOREAN star Lee Byung Hun's upcoming movie and first Hollywood film is GI Joe: The Rise Of Cobra.

We speak to the bona fide hottie.

HUNK: Lee Byung Hun on the cover of U-Weekly (above)
and Storm Shadow (below), the character he plays in GI Joe: The Rise Of Cobra.

Your first Hollywood movie will premiere worldwide soon. Are you nervous or ecstatic?

This film is like all the Korean movies I've done. I'm never sure what the viewers' expectations are, so this will always make me nervous.

What do you mean by 'expectations'?

First, this is a movie that is both a big production and based on a popular comic. The character I play, Storm Shadow, is a far cry from my previous roles.

Simply because it's a comic-book character, I think the audience would already have set notions of what my character should be like. This translates into certain expectations.

There is one scene in the movie where you take off your top and show off your beautiful, chiselled body. There is also a scar on your torso which looks extremely sexy. Can you tell us more about the scene?

I had a detailed discussion with director Stephen Sommers before we shot the scene. My idea was to increase the intensity of the battle between Storm Shadow and Snake Eyes. I suggested losing the shirt to achieve this and the director thought it was a great idea. So we ended up shooting it that way.

How did you manage to achieve such a perfect physique? Did you restrict your diet and train vigorously daily?

I actually felt more like an athlete than an actor during this period when I was perfecting my body. I had no previous sword-wielding experience, so I had intensive lessons in swordplay.

There was also a fitness coach who would make sure that I exercised and did weight training daily. I was also extremely strict with my diet.

Did you mind the fact that your face could hardly be seen on the promotional posters for this movie?

When I accepted this role, I was fully aware of the film's content and where each character in the movie stood.

Out of the eight roles, I knew which were the leads and the supporting roles - and then there was my role. I just gave it my best shot. As for the lack of visibility in the movie posters, I'm not disappointed, nor do I have any thoughts about it.

Source: www.tnp.sg

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 3-8-2009 01:41 PM | Show all posts
July 29, 2009

Lee Byung-hun says Koreans should be 'nonchalant' about his role in G.I. Joe film

By Shin Hae-in

SEOUL, July 29 (Yonhap) -- While Hollywood colleagues called it an "honor" and "great opportunity" to have worked with him in Paramount Picture's upcoming "G.I. Joe," South Korean actor Lee Byung-hun fears too much attention by fans at home toward his character may take away from the film.

"This movie will bring before your eyes all actions and adventures you have ever imagined," Lee said at a Seoul press conference with cast and creators of the movie Wednesday. "I hope you will not pay too much attention to my appearance. It's a great film as it is."

"G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra" is the first episode in the live-action adaptation of the popular TV series and classic comic book from the 1980s. Lee plays Storm Shadow, a key villain in the Cobra society, a role praised by critics as his successful Hollywood debut.

"Lee Byung-hun is the only one we went for," said director Stephen Sommers, explaining how his team decided to cast the South Korean star in the role almost immediately. "I watched some of his movies and fell in love with them. It was his eyes. They showed he's a fantastic actor." "The energy here is amazing," Sommers added. "With this guy (Lee) here, it's like traveling with Elvis."

Actress Sienna Miller, who plays the villainous Baroness, thanked Korea for "lending Lee" to Hollywood. "I saw him in 'Bittersweet Life' and thought he was incredibly talented and handsome," she said. "What you might not know is that he is also incredibly funny, silly and kind. It must have been intimidating for him to work in a different environment, but he didn't let it show. It was a huge opportunity to work with someone like him."

Lee is considered a leading actor in the South Korean film industry, the winner of dozens of local awards for his roles in "Joint Security Area (2000)," "Bittersweet Life (2005)," "The Good, the Bad and the Weird (2008)" and more.

Although he is not the first local actor to break into Hollywood -- coming after Jeon Ji-hyun in "Blood: The Last Vampire" and Daniel Henney in "X-men Origins: Wolverine" -- Lee is considered to be the most successful so far, starring in a leading role and one of the most eye-catching characters in the film. Lee has already signed with Paramount to appear in the two sequels for the "G.I. Joe" series.

"I have to admit I had a difficult time at first trying to adapt to a different language, culture and environment," the South Korean actor said. "But with these guys being so down-to-earth and kind, I could make myself at home, enjoy myself and learn something all the while."

Lorenzo di Bonaventura, producer of the movie, said it was "interesting to watch Lee getting used to" the U.S.-style shooting. "Storm Shadow is an iconic character. We needed someone with grace and style and the sureness to make the character striking," he said. "We're lucky Lee joined us. We learned something from him and I hope he was able to learn something from us."

Bonaventura picked the showdown between Storm Shadow and Snake Eyes, his main rival, as one of the most compelling scenes in the movie.

Set in the fictional Brussels-based G.I. Joe, an acronym for the Global Integrated Joint Operating Entity, the movie revolves around an international co-ed force of operatives who use high-tech equipment to battle Cobra, an criminal organization headed by a notorious Scottish arms dealer.

G.I. Joe is originally a line of military-themed articulated "action figures" produced by the toy company Hasbro in 1964. "I thought the story was about an incredible visual world, where I could have a huge cast from a lot of different countries," said director Sommers. "It's okay if you know nothing about G.I. Joe. You are still guaranteed a great time."

"G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra" will open simultaneously in South Korea, Germany, Hong Kong, Australia and Russia on Aug. 6.

Credits: [email protected] via yonhapnews.co.kr

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 3-8-2009 01:42 PM | Show all posts
Wednesday, July 29, 2009

G.I. Joe Rise of Cobra press conference in Seoul

Sweet! Gorgeous fashionista & Korean hunk
at the G.I. Joe Rise of Cobra press con

It's time to celebrate! Yet another Korean star is in a Hollywood movie production, and the cast heads over to Seoul to promote the movie.

This time, Lee Byung Hun brings the G.I. Joe Rise of Cobra cast to Seoul for a press conference, and other promo activities. Director Stephen Sommers (The Mummy), producer Lorenzo di Bonaventura and actors Channing Tatum and Sienna Miller were there to meet the Korean press at Shilla Hotel.

Sienna Miller, ever the fashion icon, looked gorgeous at the press conference. She wore a yellow and black patterned short dress and teamed it with black leggings and high heeled boots. Her hair was a shimmering gold which cascaded over her shoulders and her skin was glowing and flawless!

Where-ever Sienna goes, she steps out in style

Sienna Miller & Lee Byung Hun.
Now, don't you think they would make a cute couple!

I'm so happy to see Byung-hun Lee listed as the fourth name in the actors credit list on IMDB. He's right up there on top. Korean hunk Lee Byung Hun plays Storm Shadow in the movie. I hear he wears a white leather suit complete with mask mostly throughout the movie. But who cares...i can't wait to see Byung Hun in action in the movie that a reporter who attended the Tokyo premiere said..."is like Transformers, explosive, noisy, but without the giant robots."

G.I. Joe Rise of Cobra will be in cinemas on 7 August 2009 in Malaysia.

G.I. Joe Rise of Cobra director Stephen Sommers,
producer Lorenzo di Bonaventura and actors Channing Tatum,
Sienna Miller & Byung-hun Lee at the Seoul press conference.

Source: Newsen, k-popped.com

Use magic Report

Follow Us
 Author| Post time 3-8-2009 01:42 PM | Show all posts
July 29, 2009

Lee Byung-hun Returns With Film 'G.I. Joe'

By Lee Hyo-won
Staff Reporter

Lee Byung-hun, left, and Sienna Miller in a scene from "G. I. Joe:
The Rise of Cobra" / CJ Entertainment

Hollywood and hallyu star power reigned in Seoul Wednesday with the arrival of the main cast and crew of "G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra."

A group of middle-aged Japanese women waited outside the hotel ballroom for the South Korean premiere of the action-packed film ? to catch a glimpse of "All In" star Lee Byung-hun, who makes his Tinsletown debut opposite Sienna Miller, Channing Tatum and Dennis Quaid.

Based on the G.I. Joe Real American Hero toy franchise, the film is about an elite American military squad that must stop the evil terrorist group Cobra from destroying the planet.

"Naneun baboda (I am dumb)," director Stephen Sommers proudly told reporters, and the venue broke into a rumble of laughter ? Lee had mischievously taught Sommers the wrong phrase to greet Koreans. Tatum, the heartthrob of "Step Up," said he "sniffed it out" and didn't fall for the trick.

"We had a fantastic reception at the airport yesterday… It's like traveling with Elvis," said Sommers, referring to Lee and the huge crowd of fans that welcomed the stars at Gimpo Airport, Tuesday. Producer Lorenzo di Bonaventura said it was "great to have such a great Korean star" accompany his fourth trip to the country.

Tatum, 29, said his manager is Korean so he had seen Lee's performance in "Bitter Sweet Life." Miller, who was seen laughing and whispering with Lee throughout the event, said she had also admired the actor in the Kim Ji-woon film. "It was one of the most astounding performances and one of the most incredible films," said the 27-year-old screen beauty, adding that her co-star is not only "incredibly talented and handsome" but also "incredibly funny, silly and kind."

Director Sommers ("The Mummy") seemed to retaliate on Lee's prank earlier. "He's a mildly attractive guy, got an OK body but his eyes, it's all in the eyes,'' he said about watching the actor in a Korean film whose title he couldn't recall. "No, just kidding. He's a really great looking guy with a great body,'' he said, saying that "his eyes are always doing something.'' He said that the makers had a very short pre-production period and met one other person for Lee's role of Storm Shadow "but we asked (Lee) right away."

"Storm Shadow is an iconic character and we needed somebody with the grace and the style and the physical prowess and the assuredness to make that character work," said di Bonaventura, the producer behind such blockbusters as "Transformers."

L-R: Producer Lorenzo di Bonaventura, Channing Tatum, Sienna Miller, Lee
Byunghun and Director Stephen Sommers

The 39-year-old returned the compliments by saying that his co-stars were "the most kind, down-to-earth people" and they became friends in no time, making his first project in the United States much easier. "He must have been intimidated but he didn't show it," said Miller.

In the film, Storm Shadow is portrayed as a Japan-trained Korean ninja who is part of terrorist group Cobra. A young Storm Shadow speaks Korean while training in Tokyo, and the director explained he meant the martial arts center to be international so Storm Shadow could well be Korean.

Miller trained six weeks for her tough evil femme fetale, the Baroness, who also happens to be an old flame of the film's hero, Duke (Tatum). Tatum, who grew up as a fan of the G.I. Joe franchise, said his "childhood didn't get let down at all, (Lee as Storm Shadow) knocked it out."

"It's a big, fun, crazy ride, gamsahapnida (thank you)," said Tatum.

In theaters Aug. 6. Distributed by CJ Entertainment.

Credits: hyowlee@koreatimes.co.kr, image from daum.net

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 3-8-2009 01:43 PM | Show all posts
July 30, 2009

Stars from upcoming ‘G.I. Joe’ movie storm Seoul

A press conference to promote “G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra” was held yesterday morning at The Shilla hotel, central Seoul. Channing Tatum and Sienna Miller were at the event, as well as Korean actor Lee Byung-hun. producer Lorenzo di Bonaventura and director Stephen Sommers. The group arrived in Korea the day before via Gimpo International Airport.

Tatum and Miller star as Duke and the Baroness, respectively, while Lee plays the role of Storm Shadow, a member of the terrorist organization Cobra. The film is Lee’s Hollywood debut.

“I had watched [Lee’s performance] before in ‘A Bittersweet Life’ and I was very impressed,” Tatum said.

G.I. Joe is a Hollywood blockbuster about a fight between an elite military unit and the notorious Cobra. The film opens in theaters Aug. 6.

Source: INSIDE JoongAng Daily

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

July 30, 2009

Actor Lee Byung-hun (right) whispers to actress Sienna Miller during a press conference for their latest film "G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra" in Seoul on Wednesday. /Yonhap

Credits: englishnews@chosun.com

Use magic Report

July 30, 2009

'G.I. Joe' stars plug new film in Korea  

Smoke and flames put a bit of sizzle into the "G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra" press conference yesterday at the Shilla Hotel in Seoul. Background music blared. Flames shot up on screen. Clouds of smoke wafted up. "G.I. Joe" stars Lee Byung-hun, Channing Tatum and Sienna Miller - flanked by "G.I. Joe" director Stephen Sommers and producer Lorenzo di Bonaventura - emerged from the haze.

Bordering on cheesy, the theatrics and the colorful "G.I. Joe" banners draping the walls served as a flamboyant precursor to the big-budget film, which Tatum dubbed "a big, fun crazy ride." "All the action that you could possibly dream up will come to life before your eyes," Hallyu star Lee said of his Hollywood debut film.

Di Bonaventura pinpointed the fast pace of his third Hasbro-related actioner: "Just enjoy it, and hopefully you'll be able to breathe, cause Steve (Sommers) made this thing so fast."

Based on the Hasbro toy line and its comic book spin-off, the upcoming flick charts G.I. Joe's battle against the terrorist organization Cobra and the arms dealer Destro.

Rising star Tatum plays Duke - a special operation forces commander charged with the task of transporting powerful state-of-the art weapons. After losing his team members to an ambush orchestrated by Cobra, Duke and sole surviving member Ripcord join G.I. Joe in their fight against the organization.

Miller and Lee star as members of the terrorist organization Cobra; with Miller carrying out her evil plans as the leather-clad Baroness, and with Lee wielding his sword as the Korean martial arts fighter Storm Shadow.  "Storm Shadow is an iconic character and we needed to have somebody who had the grace and style and the physical prowess and the assuredness of performance," said Mr. di Bonaventura regarding the decision to cast Lee.

"The next two movies I direct he'll be in," Sommers said of Lee at a round table interview following the press conference.  "He seemed very quiet and reserved," Sommers described his initial impressions of Lee. "And then we found out he's got a great sense of humor."

"I respected him way before I met him," said co-star Tatum, who saw Lee in "A Bittersweet Life" prior to working with him.

Tatum also revealed that his interest in Korean film extended beyond Lee's work, briefly discussing a film project he is involved in that may use Korea as a backdrop. "I have a Korean manager," Tatum elaborated. "He's always trying to get me to watch movies."

"The style that Korean film is in is so much more gritty and kind of tough and slick," Tatum stated with admiration. "I was like, 'Okay, let's go and maybe try and do, you know, an American movie in Korean.'"

Still in its early stages, Tatum said that they were initially inspired by the Michael Douglas flick "Black Rain," where Douglas plays a New York police officer who gets entangled in the Japanese underworld. But now they are going to aim for a different angle. "I wanna come here on a trip by myself and really get to see Korea for myself," said Tatum. "If we're gonna do it at all, we're gonna do it right."

When asked about plans to star in a sequel to "G.I. Joe," Tatum answered: "We haven't really talked about number two. If people go see the movie and they like it, obviously we would like to."

The movie has already garnered attention from the Korean press for the reportedly substantial amount of screen time Lee receives and his relatively fluent English.

While Lee's appearance in the Hollywood flick is sure to attract domestic moviegoers, Miller also set forth a convincing summary as to why audiences should check out "G.I. Joe."

"We blew up more cars than have ever been blown up before. ... We have Byung-hun Lee without a shirt on, which will draw a crowd ... and Channing without his shirt on."

"G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra" hits theaters nationwide on Aug. 6.

By Jean Oh ([email protected]) via koreaherald.co.kr

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 3-8-2009 01:44 PM | Show all posts

MBC News VOD

GI Joe: The Rise of Cobra vs Sophie's Revenge
(plus bits of Speed Racer, Blood the Last Vampire) - more dialogues of the storm

Storm Shadow to Snake Eyes

'Now you will die without a word'

Must-have Clip

Or watch the STREAMING HERE

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 3-8-2009 01:44 PM | Show all posts

July 30, 2009

Latest photos and special detailed interview with Byunghun-ssi here l here l here

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 3-8-2009 01:45 PM | Show all posts

the STORM

Korean articles 1 l 2 l 3 l 4 l 5 l 6 l 7 l 8

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 3-8-2009 01:46 PM | Show all posts

July 28, 2009

The welcoming party that BH personally arranged held at the cafe right after arriving from Tokyo on the 28th, Tuesday evening.

Lee Byung Hun - Sienna Miller, friendly hug

Source

Source

Source

Source

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 3-8-2009 01:46 PM | Show all posts
July 30, 3009

VIP Screening for GI Joe: The Rise of Cobra (8pm, CGV Yongsan)

Celebrity Guests
Actors: Shin Ha Kyun, Kim Rae Won, Choi Ji Woo, Jung Jin Ho
Lee Eun Hee

Source: MyDaily / daum, naver

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 3-8-2009 01:47 PM | Show all posts
Our thanks to the sweet highlight by neelia at lovelbh.com, Singapore's New Paper updates on GI Joe Japan with  Byunghun photos from MyDaily

July 31, 2009

not Just your Average Joe  

GI Joe: The Rise of Cobra stars step out to a raucous welcome in Tokyo, but fans save their loudest cheers for Korean actor Lee Byung Hun

By Crystal Chan

PICTURE: AP

He plays only a secondary role in the upcoming action blockbuster GI Joe: The Rise Of Cobra.

But Korean actor Lee Byung Hun certainly stole the show at the movie's world premiere in Tokyo on Monday night.

As soon as the convoy of cars transporting the show's hot stars arrived at LaLaport shopping mall in Toyosu district, fans began screaming. The screams grew louder when Byung Hun stepped onto the red carpet. Fans continued screaming out his name when he went up on the stage.

Even though it was pouring, the eager fans remained undaunted, whipping out their cameras to take pictures of him. Ironically, they were noticeably less boisterous when the show's leads, Hollywood actors Channing Tatum and Sienna Miller, appeared.

Singaporeans will probably best remember Byung Hun, 39, for his roles in Korean movies like Joint Security Area and A Bittersweet Life.

In his first Hollywood foray - about an elite military unit of operatives who go on a mission to dismantle a nefarious organisation headed by a Scottish arms dealer - Byung Hun plays villain ninja Storm Shadow.

Onscreen villain he might have been, but he certainly charmed the crowd offscreen with his fluent English and Mandarin and sense of humour.

Waving to the fans, he said: 'I appreciate that all of you are here despite the rain.'

Of his Hollywood debut, Byung Hun said during the press conference in Tokyo's Ritz-Carlton Hotel: 'This is different, because the genre and the character are different. As you know, (GI Joe) is based on a cartoon and I've never done that (starring in such a movie) before. 'And everything is so different, especially the language, culture and people. So I had a hard time, a little bit, at first.'

As for his popularity in Japan, it's probably easy to understand why. Korean dramas have been huge in Japan since Winter Sonata became a big hit there in 2004.

Earlier this year, when Byung Hun filmed the Korean drama IRIS in Akita Prefecture, as many as 2,500 fans visited the filming locations every day.

Most of the promotional material in Japan for the GI Joe movie focused on him instead of his more famous co-stars.

INTENSE

When asked why he cast a Korean actor instead of the stereotypical gongfu-fighting Chinese actor for the role of Storm Shadow, director Stephen Sommers (Van Helsing, The Mummy) said he was simply drawn to Byung Hun's intensity.

Sommers said: 'As soon as I saw him, I thought, 'Oh, God. He projects so much in his eyes'.

'There's something about this guy that I fell in love with and I didn't consider anybody else.'

Even Byung Hun's co-stars were quick to latch on to his popularity in Asia. Just before the movie was screened, comedian Marlon Wayans - who plays Tatum's soldier sidekick Ripcord - told the audience jokingly: 'I'm best friends with Byung Hun.'

Byung Hun said that despite the language and cultural differences with his US and British co-stars, he instantly bonded with them.

He said: 'As time went by, I grew close to them. I was so comfortable and the character is so nice.'

The biggest challenge for him turned out to be getting in shape for the role.

In one battle scene towards the end of the movie, the buff heartthrob suddenly whips off his white costume to display his gleaming, tanned and ridiculously ripped torso - keep your eyes peeled for his rock-hard six-pack, girls - while crossing swords with Ray Park, who plays good ninja Snake Eyes.

Byung Hun said: 'I had to work out so hard and I never drank - not even one bottle of beer. I had to be on a diet. When I was in Los Angeles, I wasn't an actor. I was like a bodybuilder.'

For all that hard work, he admitted wishing he could have had more screen time shirtless. He said jokingly: 'I hope there'll be more of the last fight in Asian DVDs.'

Byung Hun was not the only one who had to shape up to fit into his role.

Actresses Miller, 28, who plays femme fatale Baroness, and Rachel Nichols, 29, who plays sexy sharpshooter Scarlett, also underwent rigorous physical training for their roles.

Nichols did six weeks of fight training to play a counter-intelligence specialist and martial artist in GI Joe's team.

Likewise, Miller put on five pounds of muscle on her slender frame after a four-month-long fitness and training programme. She said, smiling: 'To play a character like this, you have to be pretty good at fighting. I can do mixed martial arts so don't mess with me.'

What was harder, she revealed, was putting on the Baroness' uniform - a skin-tight black leather catsuit - saying she needed 'a lot of talcum powder and manpower'.

As for going from blonde to brunette, Miller said she wore a wig.

Filming a summer blockbuster is a change in direction for the British actress who is known more for her indie fare like Factory Girl and Layer Cake. Of the difference, she said: 'To be honest, from having done more arthouse movies and not thinking that this (mainstream movies) was my genre, I've now completely changed my mind.

SEQUEL ANYONE?

'I love the movie so much and I've made some great, great friends.'

Miller went on to say she hoped there will be a GI Joe 2 and 3.

Feeling a bit more of a personal link to his character was Tatum, who plays heroic protagonist Duke.

The 29-year-old gushed about how it was fascinating to star in the movie after being a loyal follower of the cartoon during his childhood.

He said: 'The best thing to me is the fantasy of living out a childhood dream. 'To look over and see Snake Eyes next to me was one of the highlights of my life.'

Tatum, who recently got hitched to his Step Up co-star Jenna Dewan, was also inundated with questions about his recent nuptials.

To which he demurred: 'You know, I don't really want to share that stuff. It's really personal to me and it's really special and I'd kind of like to keep it in my family. 'But it was just the best day of my life and I appreciate that you care. Thank you.'

Tatum's resume includes working opposite big names like Samuel L Jackson and Johnny Depp, but this is the first time he is headlining a summer blockbuster.

He will next be seen in Dear John, a romantic drama opposite Mamma Mia! actress Amanda Seyfried.

When one journalist told Tatum that a New York Times reviewer compared him to a young Marlon Brando, he was surprised.

Tatum said: 'A lot of people think that actors are just doing a job. We really want you guys to enjoy what we're doing. Whether it has commercial appeal or critical acclaim, we put our hearts into every single thing.'

As for his own heroes, he added: 'Paul Newman and Robert Redford have always been my favourites.'

REPORTING FROM TOKYO via Singapore New Paper

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Author| Post time 3-8-2009 01:47 PM | Show all posts
July 31, 2009

Korean stars take their shot at Hollywood
Supporting roles seen as opening door to larger parts

By Park Soo-mee

Lee Byung-hun looks for his big break in "G.I. Joe." (Getty)

SEOUL -- At the Wednesday press conference of “G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra," it wasn’t Channing Tatum or Sienna Miller that caught the eyes of many Japanese fans who anxiously waited outside the hotel lobby to get a glimpse of their star. Instead, they all flew in to see the Korean actor Lee Byung-hun ("The Good, the Bad, the Weird"), who plays a supporting role in his first Hollywood live action.

For Paramount Pictures, the film’s distributor, this was a promising sign -- one that suggests the potential benefit of casting an Asian superstar to attract regional ticket buyers when marketing a quintessentially American film.

The strategy seems to be on the rise with major Hollywood productions that once had limited roles for Asian actors. Aside from Lee, who plays the film's charismatic Storm Shadow, other Korean actors are also participating in the trend.

After tasting bitterness with the boxoffice flop of his Hollywood debut “Speed Racer,” Korean singer-actor Rain is aiming to revamp his reputation through “Ninja Assassin,” another action flick produced by the Wachowski Brothers. Daniel Henney, a Korean-American actor with a strong Asian fan-base, starred as Agent Zero in “X-Men Origins: Wolverine.” Gianna Jun (or Jun Ji-hyun), an Asian darling from a hit romantic comedy “My Sassy Girl,” also known for its Hollywood remake, recently starred in a pan-Asian English-language film “Blood: The Last Vampire,” which many see it as Jun’s prelude to Hollywood debut.

The trend largely owes to a phenomenon dubbed among the locals as hallyu, or a Korean wave, in which Korean TV dramas and movies became such a hit throughout Asia that the country’s entertainment scene suddenly became a new tourist attraction.

In the film circle, the idea was quickly picked up through organized meetings like Asia Pacific Actors Network during the annual Pusan International Film Festival, which was originally started in 2007 by prominent Korean actors like Ahn Sung-ki and Kang Soo-yeon, and quickly turned into a venue that encourages Asian actors to make inroads into Hollywood.

“For Hollywood, it [hallyu] is a sign that Korean actors hold major ticket power in Asia,” said Choi Min-soo, the head of marketing at CJ Entertainment, the importer of “G.I. Joe.” “It’s also a sign that the Asian market is no longer just ‘one of them.'”

In marketing a Hollywood film featuring Korean celebrities, many distributors and importers are now developing a regional strategy focusing on local stars.

In “X-Men Origins: Wolverine,” the 20th Century Fox Korea prepared a separate poster image featuring Daniel Henney next to Hugh Jackman and a few other leads in the film; Henney’s character is not included in the North American version.

Fox Korea has also produced a separate trailer which has added clips of the Korean-American actor on top of the international version. “It was simply more helpful to market a film [featuring a Korean celebrity],” says Mark Kim at 20th Century Fox Korea. “We do arrange a promotion tour of the cast or a junket before a film releases, but it’s different having the actor and their agent around in the country in terms of access.”

For Korean actors, though, common dilemma exists when they try to “make it abroad.”

Language is an obvious barrier. But for many, compromising their regional star power to play a relatively minor role in a Hollywood film often takes courage and commitment. The pressure on the local actors is real and often immediate, given that Korean audiences are particularly sensitive about how the international market sees their idols.

Local Internet users, for example, questioned the significance of Lee’s role in his first Hollywood debut by making a fuss about the original poster for “G.I. Joe” which showed the face of Lee over a white mask. CJ explained that the company deliberately hid the actor’s face “to tease,” and later changed it with a different version fully showing Lee’s face.

In a country where national pride is often high, many Korean actors also worry about losing their local fans by choosing roles that misrepresent their country or present wrong ethnic stereotypes.

Kim Yun-jin, a Korean-American actress from the ABC series “Lost,” had made it clear in an interview with a Korean press that she did not want to start her Hollywood career through a geisha’s role, recalling her casting offer from “Memoirs of a Geisha.”

“It depends on how you approach it,” said Charles Kim, a producer for October Pictures, a production company based in Hong Kong, Beijing and Seoul. “Forget the amount of time the character appears on screen. The question is whether their role will have any impact in creating a strong impression of the actor.”

Despite some risks in dampening their reputation, many in the industry agree that actors like Henney and Lee have made the right move for a smooth landing in Hollywood through supporting roles.

On the flip side, companies share mixed views about whether the casting of Asian celebrities will have any direct impact on local boxoffice. There’s no real way of proving it.

Although various factors determine a film’s success or failure, the local boxoffice of “X-Men Origins: Wolverine” didn’t do as good as its previous film. “Blood: The Last Vampire,” failed miserably in the local boxoffice as well. It's now is up to the score of “G.I. Joe,” which opens here Thursday.

Source: hollywoodreporter.com

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 3-8-2009 01:48 PM | Show all posts
July 31, 2009

Actor Lee Byung-hun Debuts in Hollywood

Actor Lee Byung-hun, who is almost 40, is a seasoned actor in the Korean film industry. He debuted in 1992 in the TV drama "Tomorrow Love." In the 1999 movie "The Harmonium In My Memory" Lee played a teacher who captivated the heart of a young woman from a rural area. And in the 2000 hit "Joint Security Area," he perfectly portrayed a South Korean soldier who pleads for help when he steps on a mine.

The turning point in Lee's life came in 2005 with director Kim Ji-woon's movie "A Bittersweet Life." Lee easily portrayed difficult action scenes and impressed viewers with his acting talent.

In the 2006 movie "Once In A Summer" Lee appeared opposite Su Ae, and last year he stunned everyone by playing a gangster in "The Good, The Bad, The Weird."

Lee has tried diverse roles so far, joiningg the ranks of A-list actors. And he is not picky when it comes to genre, whether it is a thriller, an action movie or a melodrama. This time, Lee is poised to make his name in Hollywood through Stephen Sommers' movie "G.I.Joe: The Rise of Cobra."

At a recent news conference in Seoul, Lee shared his thoughts about his Hollywood debut. He said, "My manager showed me the script of 'G.I.Joe' and said that I had to take this role. To be honest, I didn't find the script interesting. So my manager's words didn't sound that persuasive to me. It's a huge project, but I doubted I could do it. I didn't feel the need to try it, while feeling scared."

Lee sought advice from directors Kim Ji-woon and Park Chan-wook, who encouraged him to take the role. But Lee was still hesitant. "The most difficult part was overcoming my own doubts. That's what we call 'mind control.' I was afraid that people who like my acting would never approve of my cartoon-like character," said Lee.

While deliberating, Lee remembered how he came to love movies in the first place. He said he still remembered how happy he was when he first went to the theater at age 4 and saw a sci-fi movie. "My favorite movie was a sci-fi movie. So I asked myself what kept me from filming such a movie in Hollywood. That's how I was able to film it with pleasure," said Lee.

Lee says he found Hollywood to be a completely new world to him, a place where capitalism and rationalism rule. Shoots were never delayed because costumes and expensive accessories were always at hand, and the cast was provided with snacks on time. If any of the actors wanted to have hamburgers, hamburger cars were brought to the filming set. Everything was perfect. He said, "The director's authority didn't seem to be that powerful against the amount of money invested in the production. Even the production crew's instructions are reflected."

Lee's English pronunciation in the movie is quite impressive, though he says he only learned English for two years as a teenager. Some even raised suspicions about the authenticity of his voice in the movie, because it sounds unusual. Lee said, "It was good to hear that. My voice sounds unfamiliar even to me. I heard that our vocal chords work differently with different languages. Few people have heard me speak English so far."

The actor added that he was lucky because he didn't have to say many lines. Lee usually reads the script twice before he practices his lines on the set. But this time he memorized his part by heart with the utmost effort. "Making bloopers by saying the wrong lines is not professional. That's why I memorized everything by heart. It was difficult. Sometimes the director asked me to accentuate certain words. That was very confusing. I realized time and again what a difficult task it was," recalled Lee.

The portrayal of feelings was another challenge. Playing Storm Shadow, which is a very popular cartoon character, presented numerous challenges. Lee said the director liked it a lot when he made his eyes look exaggerated or when he portrayed action scenes. "I thought the director would never want me to act the way I had acted in all of my previous productions. That's why I did things accordingly. To American viewers, my acting might look natural, but to my Asian fans it might look too 'cartoonish'," said Lee.

Lee said, "It takes more than one time to succeeed. But I'm satisfied with my first Hollywood role. It was a chance to diversify my profile." Lee says it is encouraging to see several Korean actors and actresses making forays in Hollywood. But he added that it is not easy to overcome racial and language barriers and achieve a top status. "Korean actors tend to lead isolated lives. But our lifestyle is reflected in our attitude. As a result, we become narrow-minded instead of opening up to the outside world. We must get rid of that kind of attitude. We must open up and practice speaking foreign languages," said Lee.

"I always wanted to try my skills at filmmaking. But at the same time I want to continue doing what I am good at. I would try to direct a movie when I don't feel ashamed of my skills," said Lee in conclusion.

Source: KBS Global

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 3-8-2009 03:48 PM | Show all posts

Source: innolife.net

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 3-8-2009 05:05 PM | Show all posts
A real cool mention by the Korea Times, Storm Shadow AJA!

August 3, 2009

Supporting Roles Stealing Spotlight

By Han Sang-hee
Staff Reporter

Supporting actors appearing in local dramas have begun unleashing their charms, and more viewers are starting to recognize their presence.

MBC's hit drama "The Great Queen Seondeok" boasts a lineup of interesting characters surrounding the main character, Deok-man, played by Lee Yo-won, who later becomes the first queen in Korea's history.

Lee is not the only actress enjoying the spotlight, as many viewers have taken notice of the villain, Mi-shil, played by Ko Hyun-joung. Mi-shil dreams of becoming queen, but fails when Seondoek makes a splash in political circles. Ko, who is well known for her sweet and tender roles, has successfully transformed herself into the ambitious Mi-shil, who tries to scheme and threaten her way to the throne.

MBC explained before the drama's airing that Ko was originally offered the role of Seondeok, but she actually chose to take the part of the femme fatale after reading the script. "I thought acting a very clear character would be better for me. I'm breaking out of my original roles, which were balanced and had a certain rhythm. I will do my best not to lose the viewers' attention,'' Ko said at a press conference before the drama's airing.

When the news of Ko's decision broke, many questioned whether both Ko and Lee would be able to portray their respective characters. But worries soon dissipated with the drama's airing.

Numerous viewers posted their thoughts on the drama's Web site, supporting Ko and her fellow actors. Mi-shil is Ko's first attempt as a villainous role and also represents the first appearance in a historical drama in her 20-year acting career.

Meanwhile, SBS' drama "Style'' also has viewers fixed on its various supporting characters, most notably Kim Hye-soo, who appears as Park Gi-ja, a perfectionist deputy editor at a fashion magazine. "I read on the drama's Web site that Lee Ji-ah is the main character, but I can't help but follow every move of Park. Probably because she's portrayed by Kim, who is one of the most fashionable actresses in Korea," Kim Min-jung, a 28-year-old viewer of "Style," told The Korea Times.

Lee plays the assistant whose singular goal is to please her boss, Park, and move up the ladder to become a magazine editor, but she gets tangled up in messy relationships with Park and her fellow male characters.

Working at a fashion magazine firm aided Kim in her full transformation into a fashionista.

At the press conference last month to publicize the show, the actress donned two different outfits, first a sparkly green mini dress, and then a purple dress with a huge bow attached on her shoulder. "Park is very edgy, both in life and style," Kim said at the press conference.

Although "Style" began airing just last week, it hit 18 percent in television ratings, according to research firm AGB Neilson Media Research, and topped other dramas in the same time block.

Other dramas and movies have their fair share of attractive supporting roles, including Lee Honey from the KBS drama "The Partner," Moon Chae-won from the drama "Brilliant Legacy," and movie star Lee Byung-hun in the upcoming Hollywood action film, "G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra.''

Lee, a former Miss Korea, returned to the spotlight as an actor in the drama about lawyers, and despite the low ratings, she has positioned herself as an aspiring actor alongside the main characters played by Kim Hyun-joo and Lee Dong-wook.

Moon first garnered the role of a pretty gisaeng in the drama "The Painter of Wind,'' which starred Moon Geun-young, but failed to attract much attention. The 22-year-old resurfaced in the hit drama "Brilliant Legacy,'' and finally made a lasting impression among viewers, which has led her to appear in another drama, airing this month, called "My Fair Lady" on KBS.

Movie star Lee Byung-hun is also gearing up to attract moviegoers with his role as the ruthless Storm Shadow. Lee may play a supporting role in the Hollywood flick, but his star power still translates well in Asia, proving to be a big plus in promoting the film in Korea and Japan.

Credits: sanghee@koreatimes.co.kr

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT
Follow Us

ADVERTISEMENT

Mobile|Archiver|Mobile*default|About Us|CariDotMy

19-10-2024 04:26 AM GMT+8 , Processed in 0.046636 second(s), 27 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.