123Next
Return to list New
View: 4511|Reply: 44

Sudah Jatuh Ditimpa Twitter - kena tweet maaf 100x akibat fitnah

[Copy link]
Post time 2-6-2011 11:32 PM | Show all posts |Read mode
Ordered to tweet 100 times he's sorry for defaming
Thursday, June 02 @ 01:45:13 CDT

Social activist Fahmi Fadzil settles suit for defaming publishing house  Blu Inc and Female magazine by tweeting his apology, 100 times over  three days.

Social activist Fahmi Fadzil's 4,253 followers need not be taken aback by a series of strange tweets from him: he has been ordered to do so - to send out public apologies for defaming a publishing company.

In a possibly unprecedented settlement, Fahmi was ordered to tweet "I've DEFAMED Blu Inc Media & Female Magazine. My tweets on their HR Policies are untrue. I retract those words & hereby apologize."

As part of the settlement not to take the case to court, he has been told to tweet that phrase 100 times a day, over three days.

It all started when Fahmi - who is also political secretary to Lembah Pantai MP and PKR vice-president Nurul Izzah Anwar - wrote on his Twitter account @fahmi_fadzil a series of tweets lambasting Petaling Jaya-based Blu Inc Media.

Back in January, he wrote that a friend had been treated poorly by her employers at Female magazine because she was pregnant, resulting in her tendering her resignation.

"My friend's wife, who works at FEMALE magazine, has tendered her resignation because they're giving her so much shit because she's pregnant," he wrote on Jan 25.

However, realising his mistake, Fahmi he wrote an apology several hours later on the same day.

"I would like to formally & unequivocally apologise to Blu Inc and FEMALE mag for my tweets earlier today. All inconveniences are regretted," he wrote, also on Jan 25.

Despite the apology, Blu Inc's lawyers sent him a letter of demand in March, saying the tweets had "defamed" the company, which owns a stable of popular magazines including Her World, Glam and Eh!, as well as the licensee for Men's Health and Seventeen, among others.

The letter demanded that Fahmi writes a letter of apology, pays damages and also takes out advertisements in daily newspapers.

Not being able to afford newspaper advertisements, which can cost up to tens of thousands of ringgit, Fahmi agreed to settle the matter with a series of apologies on Twitter instead.

Contacted by Malaysiakini today, he said that this was a "good learning experience" for him. "I've learned that you have to take responsibility for what you tweet."

Unprecedented form of settlement

Fahmi's lawyer Syahredzan Johan believes that this form of settlement for defamation, with a series of apologies on Twitter, is a first in Malaysia.

"When it comes to defamation on Twitter, we are in unchartered waters... and in terms of settlement, this is definitely unprecedented," Syahredzan said.

However, he does not think that this will open up the floodgates of legal action against tweeps - a nickname for people who tweet - who may have wronged another party.

"Not all companies will take action (against what was tweeted) in the first place. But should they do, the response from the people they're taking action against would surely vary.

"The only reason why this (Fahmi's case) came about was because both parties agreed to it, so it really depends. At least this allows for a form of settlement, at least this is a way out," he said.

But with the series of apologies that Fahmi has to tweet for the next three days, Syahredzan - who is a member of the Bar Council's MyConstitution team - said he hoped it will not deter people from voicing their opinions on Twitter.

"I just hope this won't be the start of people being afraid to speak up. Just be careful and be aware of potential repercussions. But that in itself shouldn't be a bar for you to stop (tweeting). I certainly do not hope that people will back off from voicing their opinions," he said.

As Fahmi tweeted his fourth apology since 9am today, the settlement may also be backfiring on Blu Inc, for several people have criticised the publishing house, calling it "petty" and "retarded".

The legal representatives from Blu Inc could not be reached for comment at press time.   

Source: Free Malaysiakini

Bertabahlah Fahmi

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Author| Post time 2-6-2011 11:38 PM | Show all posts
Also featured on Time & Forbes

Malaysian Man Tweets 100 Apologies to Avoid Lawsuit

I guess you could call this the 2011 equivalent of writing standards.

Back in January, Fahmi Fadzil – a social activist and “performer & writer,” according to his Twitter account – tweeted that his pregnant friend was treated unkindly by her then-employer, Female Magazine. Mr. Fadzil realized his error, and issued an apology a mere few hours later.

Still, Female Magazine and its parent company Blu Inc. Media were not amused, and took legal action against Mr. Fadzil in the form of a defamation lawsuit.

But in an odd – if fitting – twist, the settlement reached this week in Malaysian courts ordered Mr. Fadzi take on an unorthodox punishment: Rather than paying an undetermined fine, the defendant agreed that he would tweet the apology (posted above) 100 times over the course of three days.

His latest tweet reads: "22/100 I've DEFAMED Blu Inc Media & Female Magazine. My tweets on their HR Policies are untrue. I retract those words & hereby apologize."

Currently, he has 4,505 followers, and has completed 22 out of 100 apologies.

The tweets appear to be coming through HootSuite, a service allows you to plan and schedule tweets out in advance. Mr. Fadzil looks to be taking the whole thing in stride, interspersing his apologies with more normal tweets, like what he's eating for dinner.

However, the settlement raises some interesting questions about user accountability on Twitter, especially considering the ongoing censorship battle in the U.K.

As for Mr. Fadzil, support across the Twitter-sphere seems positive – albeit more amused, than anything. And you know what they say: As a “performer” in any capacity, any publicity is good publicity.

Read more: http://techland.time.com/2011/06 ... suit/#ixzz1O8KQCpTl

Use magic Report

Post time 2-6-2011 11:47 PM | Show all posts
tu la..next time jgn ckp ikut sedap mulut dan hanya dgr cerita sebelah pihak aje...

Use magic Report

Post time 3-6-2011 12:04 AM | Show all posts
nak gelakpun ada bila baca...kena buat tweet 100x coz cant afford buat advert in newspaper..hehehhe

tu laaa..ini maybe leh jadi pengajaran kt semua...bila menaip tu kena laa hati2 kan...

kalo dulu..terlajak kata...buruk padahnyer...
zaman sekarang....terlajak jari pun buruk padahnyer hehehhee

Use magic Report

Post time 3-6-2011 12:16 AM | Show all posts
bak kata sue sylvester...
once it comes out... it cannot be contained..
motto untuk school newspaper yang dia buat untuk spread rumors....

Use magic Report

Post time 3-6-2011 12:22 AM | Show all posts
cpt pule court jatuh hukum..

Use magic Report

Follow Us
Post time 3-6-2011 12:25 AM | Show all posts
Post Last Edit by assafdiyah at 3-6-2011 00:29

sorry anak main... alahai..

Use magic Report

Post time 3-6-2011 12:26 AM | Show all posts
Post Last Edit by assafdiyah at 3-6-2011 00:29

- edited -

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 3-6-2011 12:27 AM | Show all posts
Post Last Edit by assafdiyah at 3-6-2011 00:28

- edited -

Use magic Report

Post time 3-6-2011 12:30 AM | Show all posts
tak dpt bayangkan kalau forumer CI dihukum buka 100 thread apology di CI

Use magic Report

Post time 3-6-2011 12:31 AM | Show all posts
Wanker!

Hopefully the wankers would not be deterred to carry on masturbating

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 3-6-2011 12:33 AM | Show all posts
Reply 4# SiMontel

Aiseymen, patut tajuk kena tukar to "Terlajak Perahu Boleh Diundur, Terlajak Twitter Buruk Padahnya"
Tapi kes ni jadi blessing in disguise to him coz he is now famous, jadi twitter trending, bakal diinterview oleh Washington Post, Al-Jazeera & byk lagi media utama dunia dah &  akan memaparkan kisah dia ni

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 3-6-2011 12:43 AM | Show all posts
cpt pule court jatuh hukum..
batmana Post at 3-6-2011 00:22

This is out-of-court settlement

As part of the settlement not to take the case to court, he has been told to tweet that phrase 100 times a day, over three days.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 3-6-2011 12:47 AM | Show all posts
Reply 7# assafdiyah
modddddddd ada orang spam thread saya

Use magic Report

Post time 3-6-2011 12:47 AM | Show all posts
Twitter timeline kan boleh delete, bodoh.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 3-6-2011 01:03 AM | Show all posts
tak dpt bayangkan kalau forumer CI dihukum buka 100 thread apology di CI
ultra78 Post at 3-6-2011 00:30

that's wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy better dr kena angkut laptop / pc pi bukit aman

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Author| Post time 3-6-2011 01:15 AM | Show all posts

Use magic Report

Post time 3-6-2011 01:31 AM | Show all posts
bagus jugak hukuman macam ni...diri sendiri akan malu dengan 4000+ followers dia

Use magic Report

Post time 3-6-2011 01:36 AM | Show all posts

mamat ni ke?  taip nama tu keluar pic jambu ni pulak

Use magic Report

Post time 3-6-2011 01:40 AM | Show all posts
pakai je script.......... blh set tweet 1/100 - 100/100 utk dipaparkan setiap 10 mins.....

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT
Follow Us

ADVERTISEMENT

Mobile|Archiver|Mobile*default|About Us|CARI Infonet

28-3-2024 08:49 PM GMT+8 , Processed in 0.084070 second(s), 45 queries .