ADVERTISEMENT

Author: whitedove

Japanese Entertainment News & Info HERE! [part IV]

Close [Copy link]
 Author| Post time 2-7-2010 03:04 PM | Show all posts
Arashi takes top two again in first-half sales rankings
Thu, June 24, 2010 (9:38am EDT)

http://www.88news.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/Arashi’s-2010-promises.jpg

Oricon has published its music sales rankings for the first half of 2010, and for the second year in a row, Arashi held the #1 and #2 singles with "Troublemaker" (688,000 copies) and "Monster" (654,000 copies). Only Pink Lady and Hikaru Genji have achieved #1 and #2 simultaneously before, but Arashi is the only one to do it in consecutive years.

AKB48 held the #3 and #5 spots with "Ponytail to Chouchou" (577,000) and "Sakura no Shiori" (381,000), while KAT-TUN's "Love yourself ~Kimi ga Kirai na Kimi ga Suki~" landed in between them (440,000 copies).

On the albums chart, Namie Amuro led the way with her "PAST < FUTURE" (566,000). FUNKY MONKEY BABYS, TVXQ, and Ikimono Gakari were not far behind.

In DVDs, Michael Jackson's "THIS IS IT" topped the rankings with 789,000 in sales. Arashi was #2 with their "ARASHI Anniversary Tour 5x10" (688,000).

The Top 50 rankings in each category can be viewed at the Oricon website.

Source: www.tokyograph.com

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Author| Post time 2-7-2010 03:07 PM | Show all posts
EXILE does "Umizaru" theme song
Thu, June 24, 2010 (8:32am EDT)

One of Japan's biggest music artists will be doing the theme song for one of Japan's biggest movie franchises. It was revealed on Wednesday that EXILE has been tapped to provide a song for the upcoming film "THE LAST MESSAGE: Umizaru," which opens in theaters on September 18.

EXILE has been one of the most popular artists of the past few years. In 2008, they were the #1 artist in the country in terms of total sales, and last year they ranked #2 behind Arashi.

"Umizaru," on the other hand, started out as a popular manga. It was turned into a movie in 2004, followed by a drama series in 2005, then a movie sequel in 2006. That second film, titled "Umizaru: Limit of Love," grossed 7.1 billion yen, making it the second-highest earner in history among Japan's domestic live-action films.

Still starring Hideaki Ito (34) as a rescue diver for the Japan Coast Guard, "THE LAST MESSAGE: Umizaru" is said to be the exciting conclusion of the movie franchise, and it will be shown in 3-D. EXILE's song, "Motto Tsuyoku," is expected to build even more hype for the film. The song itself will be released as a single this fall.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 5-7-2010 05:47 PM | Show all posts
Keeping an eye on Kou Shibasaki

By Chris Betros

TOKYO —

Last year, Kou Shibasaki placed 2nd in an Internet poll asking 500 men and women which celebrities had the most attractive eyes (Meisa Kuroki was 1st). Respondents said Shibasaki, who turns 29 on Aug 5, had an alluring smile. That smile has served the multitalented Shibasaki well as she carves out a name for herself as an actress, singer and image character for companies such as Fujitsu, Lipton and Kanebo.

This year has been particularly busy for Shibasaki. The first few months she was on a nationwide singing tour, but she frequently had to intersperse her tour dates with appearances back in Tokyo to promote two films and make product endorsements. “I’ve been having some pretty full days recently. Every day seems to bring a new challenge,” she said at a recent event to promote Fujitsu’s new 3D laptops. Her ad for the laptop can be seen in stores in 3D. “It’s the first time I have ever seen footage of myself in 3D. Wow is all I can say,” Shibasaki said, wearing a sexy red dress and sporting a new hairstyle. “It’s quite amazing what 3D is doing to movies. Just simple things like a paper plane flying at you or flower petals fluttering about are wonderful.”

Born in Tokyo, Shibasaki got her start in show business at the age of 14, doing TV commercials. Western audiences will know her mainly from her role as a cold-blooded sexy killer in the 2000 cult film “Battle Royale,” and her award-winning portrayal of a Japanese girl in love with a Korean boy in the 2001 drama “Go.” Quentin Tarantino had also written a part for her in “Kill Bill,“ as Yuki Yubari, the twin sister of Gogo Yubari, but she had to drop out due to scheduling conflicts.

Currently, Shibasaki is filming “Ooku,” an alternative history of medieval Japan in which an unknown disease kills most of the male population, leading to a matriarchal society in which women outnumber men 4 to 1. Women hold all the important positions and men are their consorts. The female shogun Yoshimune (Shibasaki) keeps a harem of handsome men, known as “Ooku.” The film, which co-stars boy band ARASHI’s Kazunari Ninomiya, opens in Japan on Oct 1.

“It is a fresh look at Japan’s history,” said Shibasaki. “With the number of men so small, finding the right partner becomes a serious matter, much more so than in our modern society. Actually, the story is a bleak look at what society might be like if the birthrate continues to decline.”

After filming is completed, Shibasaki said she will take a short break to recharge her musical batteries. Since launching her singing career in 2002, she has scored many pop hits since, among them “Tsuki no shizuku,” “Hito Koi Meguri” and “Lover Soul,” and has embarked on domestic concert tours once a year since 2007.

When she is not working, Shibasaki likes to chill out at home. She said she enjoys cooking, after honing her culinary skills last year while making the movie “Shokudo Katatsumuri,” in which she played a woman who returns to her hometown after an incident with her Indian boyfriend and opens a small restaurant. “My specialty is ‘ehomaki,’” she said, referring to a type of sushi made with seven “lucky” ingredients. It is traditionally eaten on Setsubun (Feb 3) and is said to bring good fortune.

Music is never far from Shibasaki’s mind. “I am always getting ideas for song lyrics and keep a notebook handy. Nowadays, I take a laptop with me everywhere, because I have a stock of handwritten lyrics in it,” she said.

Looking ahead, Shibasaki has an unusual goal: she would like to be able to understand animals better. “Wouldn’t it fun to be able to communicate with a horse while you were riding it?” she mused.

Source: www.japantoday.com

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 5-7-2010 06:03 PM | Show all posts
Uno Kanda, Yu Yamada among Best Swimmer Award recipients

Friday 25th June, 12:49 PM JST

TOKYO —

Uno Kanda, 35, made an appearance at the 11th Annual Best Swimmer awards ceremony in Tokyo this week, picking up the prize for best swimmer because she used to go scuba diving with her estranged husband, Takuro Nishimura, 40, owner of leisure and entertainment company Nittaku Group.

The pair hit headlines last month when Uno announced that they had separated. “But I have to say that he swims really beautifully and that’s what got me interested in scuba diving,” Kanda said.

Actress Yu Yamada, 25, who seems to be everywhere this month, took home the same award with the judges reasoning that, because she’s from Okinawa, swimming and the ocean suit her. “You should see me in my leopard print bikini,” Yamada joked.

Other recipients were actor Taiyo Sugiura, 29, and rakugo teller Matsunosuke Shofukutei, 84, who says he tries to swim each day.

The Best Swimmer Awards, held by the Japan Swimming Club Association, are presented to celebrities who have contributed to the development of swimming in Japan, and who look good in swimsuits.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 5-7-2010 06:08 PM | Show all posts
Court bans protests outside Yokohama theater showing 'The Cove'

Saturday 26th June, 06:50 AM JST

YOKOHAMA —

The Yokohama District Court has banned a Tokyo civic group from staging protests around a movie theater in Yokohama that plans to screen the Oscar-winning U.S. documentary ‘‘The Cove’’ about a controversial dolphin hunt in Japan, its Japanese distributor said Friday.

The court decision on the injunction Thursday prohibits making loud speeches within a 100-meter radius of the movie theater and entering the movie theater without permission, the distributor Unplugged Inc. said.

As the movie theater is planning to screen the film from July 3, scores of people from the Tokyo group staged street protests around the theater on June 12. The theater applied to the court for an injunction to ban such protests.

The theater said it will show the movie as scheduled. The film, which was mostly shot in Taiji, Wakayama Prefecture, partly with hidden cameras, won the 2010 Academy Award for best documentary.

‘‘The Cove’’ has drawn criticisms from some Japanese groups who claim that it is anti-Japanese. They have been intimidating theaters planning to show the film, leading three of the theaters in Tokyo and Osaka as well as universities in Tokyo to cancel the screenings.

The film will be screened at six movie theaters in Tokyo and five other Japanese cities from July 3, despite protests that caused earlier screenings to be canceled, the distributor said earlier.

The five other cities where the film will be screened are Osaka, Sendai, Yokohama, Kyoto and Hachinohe in Aomori Prefecture. They will be followed by cinemas in 16 other locations across Japan, including Hiroshima, Nagoya, Fukuoka and Okinawa.

Source: www.japan-zone.com

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 5-7-2010 06:21 PM | Show all posts
'Confessions' scores big at box office

Monday 28th June, 03:00 PM JST

TOKYO —

Actress Takako Matsu, who can currently be seen in the successful Japanese film “Confessions,” appeared at a screening on Sunday night with director Tetsuya Nakashima and other cast members to express their gratitude to fans for the film’s success.

The film has so far earned about 20 billion yen—a rarity for a mature-rated film—since it opened on June 5. “I want to thank everyone who worked on this film,” Matsu, 33, said.

In the film, Matsu plays a middle school teacher whose daughter is murdered by two of her students, and plots revenge. The film is based on the award-winning novel of the same name.

Use magic Report

Follow Us
 Author| Post time 5-7-2010 06:29 PM | Show all posts
Mao Daichi to end 'My Fair Lady' run

Monday 28th June, 06:45 AM JST

TOKYO —

Actress Mao Daichi, 54, says she will retire from her long-held role as Eliza Doolittle in the Japanese production of the popular musical “My Fair Lady.”

Daichi, who has performed the role 582 times since 1990, said the upcoming 20th season will be her last. “My Fair Lady” will open Oct 10 at Fukuoka’s Hakataza Theater, then move to Nagoya and finally Tokyo’s JCB Hall from Nov 17-20.

When the curtain comes down for the final time, Daichi will have played Eliza Doolittle on stage 611 times. “I’m certain I’ll be crying all night,” she said.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 5-7-2010 06:32 PM | Show all posts
Waka Inoue wins best profile in 'E-Line' competition

Tuesday 29th June, 03:00 AM JST

TOKYO —

Actress Waka Inoue, 30, walked away with an award for the most beautiful facial profile at the “E-Line Beautiful Awards” in Tokyo this week. The actress appeared in a champagne gold dress that emphasized her generous bust, thanking her parents when she received the award on stage.

Inoue modestly commented that, “I’m always worried by the fact that my lips stick out more than most people’s, but I guess here that actually worked to my advantage!” An ideal “e-line” features prominent lips connecting the nose and chin.

For a change, reporters didn’t ask about her love life. Instead, they asked Inoue what she thought Japan’s chances were against Paraguay in their World Cup clash.

Inoue predicted the Samurai Blue would prevail over Paraguay 1-0. “I’d really like to see Shunsuke Nakamura play too,” she commented.

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Author| Post time 5-7-2010 06:41 PM | Show all posts
Iranian film director cancels Japan visit over passport problem

Wednesday 30th June, 02:32 AM JST

TEHRAN —

The Iranian director of an award-winning film to be screened from August has canceled a visit to Japan as he is unable to secure a passport without agreeing to return to Iran, the film’s Japanese distributor said Tuesday.

http://www.djaso.com/Foto/Bahman%20Qubadi%20(2).jpg

Bahman Ghobadi, who directed ‘‘No One Knows About Persian Cats,’’ which depicts young people who secretly form a band, shot the movie without the permission of the Iranian authorities and has since left the country.

Ghobadi has given up on visiting Japan from Tuesday as the Iranian embassy to which he applied for a new passport said it would only issue one if he agreed to return to Iran, the distributor said.

A return to Iran would result in his being sent to prison or banned from leaving the country, Ghobadi was quoted as saying.

The film won a prize at last year’s Cannes Film Festival and is due to be screened in Japan from early August.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 5-7-2010 06:50 PM | Show all posts
Possible name change in store for Hatoyama impersonator Kuruo

Wednesday 30th June, 03:00 AM JST

TOKYO —

Ex-Prime Minister Yukio Hatoyama impersonator Kuruo Hatoyama, 36, made a special appearance this week at a pre-screening event for the upcoming film “Kyofu” (to be released July 10), playing off the movie’s title and showing up as the leader of the “Kyofu Party.”

He wore a special helmet that he said lets the wearer experience fear, explaining, “When you put it on, you can see me getting yelled at by my wife, which has happened a lot since the work has dried up. Ever since she discovered that I don’t head to work every day but instead go to the park and feed pigeons, she’s been really angry.”

Things just haven’t been the same for the Kuruo since Hatoyama was replaced as prime minister by Naoto Kan. Kuruo explained, “My job is now playing Dragon Quest.”

The previous day, Beat Takeshi had suggested on a TV show that Kuruo lose the “pigeon mountain” moniker and change his name to “Kuruo Hiyodori” (a type of sparrow), but Kuruo joked: “Actually, I’d personally prefer to become “Beat Kuruo.” To which another guest on the guest on the program replied: “No one can match up to Beat Takeshi.”

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 5-7-2010 07:24 PM | Show all posts
S Korean actor Park Yong Ha found dead in apparent suicide

Wednesday 30th June, 06:44 AM JST

SEOUL —

South Korean actor and singer Park Yong Ha, who appeared in the South Korean television soap opera ‘‘Winter Sonata,’’ was found dead early Wednesday at his home in Seoul, in what appeared to be a suicide, Yonhap News Agency reported.

The report quoted police as saying that Park’s body was found at his home in Nonhyun-dong, southern Seoul, around 5:30 a.m. by his mother, noting that he appeared to have hanged himself with an appliance cord. No suicide note has been found, the report added.

Park had been taking care of his father, who has been diagnosed with terminal stomach cancer, at his home, and had been severely distressed by his father’s disease, the report said, quoting his family and acquaintances. He had been taking sleeping pills due to insomnia, it added.

He was supposed to attend a meeting on Tuesday about a shooting of a South Korean TV drama that he was expected to appear in, but did not show up, the report said.

The 32-year-old actor, who debuted in 1997, became very popular and widely known across Asia, including Japan, after the 2002 drama series became a big hit in the region. In the TV series, Park played the rival of a main character played by another South Korean actor Bae Yong Joon.

Park, who was also a renowned singer, released several albums and held concerts in Japan.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 5-7-2010 07:26 PM | Show all posts
Ex-Morning Musume member reveals she actually doesn't like groups

Thursday 01st July, 03:00 AM JST

Former Morning Musume singer Hitomi Yoshizawa, 25, made an appearance at an event this week for the Nippon TV web television show “Buto-sentai Balancers V,” a show which has Yoshizawa and four other celebs overcoming their weaknesses to triumph as a dance troupe.

In Yoshizawa’s case, that meant working in groups. “I have always found it hard to work well in a group,” she said. “There were tens of people in the Hello Project, and I thought it was just crazy.”

The 12-part series will be released online every Tuesday starting July 13.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 5-7-2010 07:27 PM | Show all posts
Suzuki Honami Back to Work       
June 29, 2010

Suzuki Honami (43, photo left rear) is to make an overdue return to acting in next year's NHK taiga drama. Making her first public appearance in 11 years yesterday as she was named as one of the stars of "Gou, Himetachi no Sengoku," she said she was "very nervous." The historical drama series, which will air every Sunday evening throughout 2011, focuses on the younger sister of medieval warlord Oda Nobunaga (1534-82). The main female cast members were announced yesterday, and the lead role will be played by Ueno Juri (24), while Suzuki will play her mother. Other stars include Ohtake Shinobu (52), Miyazawa Rie (37) and Mizukawa Asami (26). Filming will begin in August.

One of the most popular actresses of the late 1980s and early 90s, Suzuki married comedian Ishibashi Takaaki (48) of the duo Tunnels in 1998 and retired when she became a mother the following year. Like the character she will play in the taiga drama, she is now the mother of three girls. Her last public appearance was in September 1999, at a PR event for her last movie, "Ichigen-san."

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 5-7-2010 07:28 PM | Show all posts
Mattchan Laid Up for 2 Months

Comedian Matsumoto Hitoshi (46) is taking the next couple of months off as he undergoes hip surgery, according to Yoshimoto Creative Agency. The major comedy management agency announced by fax yesterday that "Mattchan," one half of the veteran duo Downtown, is to undergo surgery to deal with a problem that has been causing him pain for the last six months. The announcement explain why he suddenly pulled out of a scheduled TV appearance last Thursday.

Matsumoto is currently resting at home and won't be able to receive treatment for about a month. He will then spend about a week in hospital and a further few weeks recuperating. During his expected two-month absence, comic partner Hamada Masatoshi (47) will fill in for him.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 5-7-2010 07:29 PM | Show all posts
It's a Wrap for Odoru3

Oda Yuji (42) was one of 23 cast members to appear at preview yesterday of "Odoru Daisosasen The Movie 3." Some 4,000 fans came to the Tokyo International Forum to get an early look at the third installment in Japan's most successful ever movie franchise. The movie is scheduled to open in theaters this weekend.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 5-7-2010 07:30 PM | Show all posts
Melon Kinenbi's Murata prepares for return
Fri, June 25, 2010 (7:48am EDT)

The former members of idol group Melon Kinenbi are making their way back into the spotlight. The latest one is Megumi Murata (29), who has re-signed with Up-Front Agency.

Murata is changing the way her name is written, from ????? to the all-katakana ??????. She does not have any specific work scheduled yet, but to start things off, she will launch an official blog on Ameblo on July 7.

Melon Kinenbi broke up with a final concert on May 3. Since then, Ayumi Shibata (26) has been active on Twitter, while Masae Otani has launched her own blog and will be starring in a stage play later this year.

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Author| Post time 5-7-2010 07:30 PM | Show all posts
Another child for Nagura, Watanabe
Fri, June 25, 2010 (8:58am EDT)

Comedian Jun Nagura (41) and talento Marina Watanabe (39) celebrated the birth of their second child, a daughter, on Thursday.

Nagura, who belongs to the trio Neptune, and Watanabe have been married since 2005. Watanabe gave birth to the couple's first child, a son, in December 2007.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 5-7-2010 07:31 PM | Show all posts
First child for Naoyuki Fujii
Fri, June 25, 2010 (11:17pm EDT)

Musician Naoyuki Fujii (45), a former member of The Checkers and brother of singer Fumiya Fujii (47), announced on Friday that he recently became a father. Although he mentioned that the child is a girl, he did not reveal further details such as her name or her birthday.

Fujii has been active as a solo artist since The Checkers broke up in 1992. In 2005, he married a former OL, and they held their wedding in Hawaii.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 5-7-2010 07:32 PM | Show all posts
kannivalism drummer to leave
Fri, June 25, 2010 (11:54pm EDT)

Rock band kannivalism has announced that its drummer, Mitsuya, will be leaving the group. His departure is said to be due to personal circumstances, but no further explanation was given.

kannivalism made its major label debut in 2006. In January 2008, they went on hiatus due to vocalist Ryo being treated for an adjustment disorder, but they resumed activities in August 2009. Mitsuya joined the band at that time.

kannivalism's upcoming schedule includes a DVD release next month and a new single in August.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 5-7-2010 07:33 PM | Show all posts
Ai Otsuka, SU tie the knot
Sat, June 26, 2010 (12:48pm EDT)

Singer Ai Otsuka (27) announced on Saturday that she is now married to rapper SU (36) of the hip-hop group RIP SLYME. On her official website, she wrote a message revealing that they registered their marriage on June 25.

SU also made an announcement on RIP SLYME's official website around the same time.

This past February, Josei Seven published an article claiming that the two were dating, but the story was neither confirmed nor denied by their agencies at that time. Their relationship reportedly started last year, when they worked together on the song "aisu x time" from Otsuka's "LOVE is Best" album (released in November).

SU is the second RIP SLYME member to get married recently. ILMARI (35) tied the knot with model Yuri Ebihara (30), and they held their wedding in Paris earlier this month.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT
Follow Us

ADVERTISEMENT

Mobile|Archiver|Mobile*default|About Us|CariDotMy

19-10-2024 08:46 AM GMT+8 , Processed in 0.063713 second(s), 29 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.