CariDotMy

Forgot password?
 Register

ADVERTISEMENT

View: 52889|Reply: 253

wat is actually USB external HDD(harddisk) drive?

[Copy link]
Post time 10-6-2004 10:04 PM | Show all posts |Read mode
i was looking sumthing for data storage and came across of buying a CD writer. but currently i aware there is sumthing call external HDD drive. Is it an extra hardisk drive that for data storage for USB(laptop)? will it cause any problems even i use this for the 2nd HDD? even i got an internal already? and....how much normally in the market, let's say for 40GB, and 160GB? thanks yea for ur reply.

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 11-6-2004 02:06 AM | Show all posts

external harddisk.

it is an accessory for your computer, it works just like an extra storage via USB, works for both pC or laptop.

problems may occur due to technical error but minimal. (just like USB thumbdrive).

the risk of using external harddisk is that the storage is too large that u may loose all of them "IF" they broken/spoilt.
(such as bad sector or "kaput"... )
benefit, is that u can store large capacity of data and it is transferable, mobile and easy to handle.

EXTERNAL HDD 120GB-USB 2.0 (7,000RPM/2MB cache) priced at around  RM600++ depends on brand.

as alternative, you can buy any harddisk, and use the external harddisk casing (connect via USB).
the branded 2.5" USB 2.0 IDE HDD Case (Aluminium) priced at RM100++  and harddisk for 40GB is about RM200++

with CD-RW (CD writer/burner),  u can write on the CD's, copy a CD, or even re-write a CD.
there are 2 type of cd.
1- CD-R - recordable, only once (one time only).
2- CD-RW - re-writeable, which u can write, erase and write again more than one time.

u may also consider USB thumbdrive that can store up to 1GB. it is small, handy and very easy to use. also works on USB family.

Use magic Report

Post time 11-6-2004 08:19 AM | Show all posts
handy USB driver is using flashrom, unlike external harddisk still using magnetic disc to store & access data. Flashrom is faster but expensive, while external HDD is cheaper interms comparing the data size support.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 11-6-2004 10:35 PM | Show all posts
thanks for da advice...but actually y sumtime got ppl mention about HDD casing and HDD USB? actually the 'casing' doesn't means the empty casing rite? y the one such exp until 600 while others ranging around 100-300?

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 11-6-2004 10:39 PM | Show all posts
izzit bcuz the transfer rate at 7000 so at its price it's exp? em...i still don't know which one to buy, either CD writer/combo drive or the external harddisk. the CD writter can write many cd including wav, mp3....but hav to bring the laptop to add in the aksesori, leceh tul! but the HDD can run application str8 away then n can store many data....but it's sometime when full already there is no other space for storage. confusing....

Use magic Report

Post time 12-6-2004 03:51 AM | Show all posts
thanks for da advice...but actually y sumtime got ppl mention about HDD casing and HDD USB?
HDD casing becoz it is cheap and ppl can select any HDD type they want, size, brand, speed etc. it's also easy and cheaper, also meant for medium user like students for example.
WHILE USB HDD is for ppl who really need it. depends on the storage capacity (like businessman, especially designer, they need to store many samples,data & etc.) and they need it to be "mobile" and transferable.

USB HARDDISK

actually the 'casing' doesn't means the empty casing rite?
IT IS an empty casing that you can choose whatever type of HDD u want to be installed.

HDD casing + Harddisk

y the one such exp until 600 while others ranging around 100-300? izzit bcuz the transfer rate at 7000 so at its price it's exp?
USB HDD is a ready made, and the storage is very big.
while HDD casing is cheaper, and HDD installed depends on you. it customizeable.

em...i still don't know which one to buy, either CD writer/combo drive or the external harddisk.
with the photo above, i tink u can decide.
CD-RW/Combo can burn/write a cd and read DVD.

the CD writter can write many cd including wav, mp3....but hav to bring the laptop to add in the aksesori, leceh tul!
CD-RW or COMBO drive are also available in external drive. same as USB HDD, CD-RW external works on USB platform too. u dont hav to worry about installation unless, u prefer it to internal drive.

but the HDD can run application str8 away then n can store many data....
yes it is, but u have to plug the USB cable first.
and if you write it on a CD, u have to insert the CD first, which is more handy...
(just to tell u the different...)

but it's (USB HDD) sometime when full already there is no other space for storage. confusing....
HDD for example 40 gigabytes .
1 cd=600/700/800MB only but can easily found.
meaning a HDD can store as much 40 gigabytes = 40 960 megabytes... how many cd is that? :hmm:
anyway if u use HDD, u can manage ur data more easy. just like your C:\ drive, D:\ drive in your pC or laptop...
create a partition and many more, folders...etc...
with CD's... it is handy... and limited. but, more useful...

the other thing that u have to consider is that... wether u want it to be external or internal? bulky or not?
USB HDD & HDD casing (+HDD) is external. it looks like the picture above.

CD-RW/Combo Drive are available as internal and also external.
external CD-RW/Combo Drive might looks just like this:

Use magic Report

Follow Us
 Author| Post time 13-6-2004 01:09 AM | Show all posts
I'm glad and happie there is someone can explain that in details to me thanks....bzztz. and i thk hav made up my mind to buy the USB HDD, cuz i really need it for quite number of musical stuff...thanks anyway....

Use magic Report

Post time 13-6-2004 02:32 AM | Show all posts
Originally posted by Presa1200 at 13-6-2004 01:09 AM:
I'm glad and happie there is someone can explain that in details to me thanks....bzztz. and i thk hav made up my mind to buy the USB HDD, cuz i really need it for quite number of musical stuff...th ...

IF u are more on musical stuff, i would like to recommend u some mp3 player such as iPod, nomad etc...
the storage are not bad...up to 80GB. or USB thumbdrive/mp3 player...

refer to this:-

http://forum.cari.com.my/viewthread.php?tid=98720
http://forum.cari.com.my/viewthread.php?tid=105237

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Author| Post time 14-6-2004 12:07 AM | Show all posts
trima kasih atas rekemendation...but actually my storage mostly based on soundfont and samplers. some instrument really huge size.

Use magic Report

Post time 1-8-2006 09:38 AM | Show all posts

external HDD

juita nak buat assignment utk paper client server......
cuma nak tanya bleh x kalu guna HDD ni untuk assgmt ni software nak kene ade VB,IIS(internt info servis),dreamweaver ngan mysql.....komp kat umah dah buruk sgt x de s/ware canggih manggih ni ...nak beli notebook lom mampu....
ingat nak pakai external HDD ni je....kat umah leh buat, kat lab fakulti pun leh buat......bleh tak?  sbb ada kawan kater HDD ni utk storage je ....tolon yek

Use magic Report

Post time 1-8-2006 10:35 AM | Show all posts
rasanya bleh je...tp x pnah lg cbe. complicated sket la sbb nk kna ade OS Server dlm HDD tuh...
lg pon byk software yg nk kna install spt IIS, Active Directory, SMTP etc.

solutions:
g tanye technician lab kt fakulti then mintak le pinjam dua ketul PC nk wat client-server...
kitorg dlu bleh je, mula2 mmg r dia x bg...ko ayat je dia smpai cair

Use magic Report

Post time 1-8-2006 11:55 AM | Show all posts

Reply #1 juita's post

"komp kat umah dah buruk sgt x de s/ware canggih manggih ni ..."

apa specs pc yg buruk sgt tu? ;) :hmm:

Use magic Report

Post time 1-8-2006 04:57 PM | Show all posts
ko nak pakai ext. hdd tu boleh tapi nak run VB/IIS tak leh pasal dia perlu interfacing ngan OS.

kata member ko tu betul ler sbb ramai org guna ext. hdd utk storage/backup.

Use magic Report

Post time 2-8-2006 08:59 AM | Show all posts
hmmm...kiranya tak leh ler yek....ok thanx

Use magic Report

Post time 2-8-2006 09:03 AM | Show all posts
kalo pentium III tu tambah ram lah mesti boleh... kalo MMX aku rasa x layak kot

Use magic Report

Post time 2-8-2006 10:43 AM | Show all posts
Aku penah terdengar member aku ckp dia ade ext HDD siap ngan LAN port sekali buat hub carik kat lelong. Kalo nak buat hub, mesti ade OS kan? Paling cipan Linux kan? Nanti aku tanya member aku tuh.

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 2-8-2006 09:36 PM | Show all posts
dulu ada sorang forumer post msg cerita tentang boot linux dari pendrive...
mula2 baca mmg tak logik tapi then aku terus praktikkan mmg maveless..
dari situ aku rasa nak boot linux kat ext HDD pun bleh la...
cuma ia adalah linux...perit sikit la...:cak:

Use magic Report

Post time 2-8-2006 10:06 PM | Show all posts

Reply #8 hujan's post

skrg ni, Live cd OS Linux dah byk kat market. torrent le, cuba...

Use magic Report

Post time 2-8-2006 10:47 PM | Show all posts
Originally posted by hujan at 2-8-2006 09:36 PM
dulu ada sorang forumer post msg cerita tentang boot linux dari pendrive...
mula2 baca mmg tak logik tapi then aku terus praktikkan mmg maveless..
dari situ aku rasa nak boot linux kat ext HDD pu ...

aku gune slax linux boot dr pendrive 512mb...tp kalo nak gune bios mobo musti support boot from usb drive la kalo x cannot boot la...

Use magic Report

Post time 21-9-2006 10:44 AM | Show all posts

External Hardisk...?

Nak tanya pd yg expert...

Problem cam nie...aku beli external harddisk yg guna usb., dlm cmp mgmt..>device manager..detect  usb disk drive & usb mass storage device.
tapi bila check kat my computer ..yg ada cuma internal hard disk.
Dah cuba uninstall device...problem sama jer.

Info: Laptop pakai DELL600

tq

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

ADVERTISEMENT

Forum Hot Topic
Ketua COVID-19 Di AS Dr. Anthony Fauci  Mengaku Peraturan Penjarakan Sosial 6 kaki ‘Hanya Rekaan, Tanpa Bukti Saintifik’.Anda terpedaya?
YgBenarKetua COVID-19 Di AS Dr. Anthony Fauci
Views : 23791 Replies : 156
Uji Minda :)
yoanaUji Minda :)
Views : 90334 Replies : 632
Hanis Haizi Misqueen, Babutam, Nwantiti V79
syitaeyqaHanis Haizi Misqueen, Babutam, Nwantiti
Views : 196656 Replies : 4557
Point Kumpul Tachang
evatasoPoint Kumpul Tachang
Views : 30434 Replies : 184
JOM test mata korang?
fahdramliJOM test mata korang?
Views : 30569 Replies : 165
(QUIZ) Which Disney Princess Are You Based on What You Eat?
Ladyreverie(QUIZ) Which Disney Princess Are You Bas
Views : 26599 Replies : 99
Tyra
aaanf14Tyra
Views : 7079 Replies : 50
Carta Official Muzik Muzik 39 (2024)
fadz84Carta Official Muzik Muzik 39 (2024)
Views : 30146 Replies : 220
TREND MARKETING OR STICK TO EVERGREEN METHOD?
adila39TREND MARKETING OR STICK TO EVERGREEN ME
Views : 2665 Replies : 15
Expectation vs Reality
Lavender85Expectation vs Reality
Views : 7803 Replies : 56

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT
Follow Us

ADVERTISEMENT

Mobile|Archiver|Mobile*default|About Us|CariDotMy

16-6-2024 11:44 PM GMT+8 , Processed in 0.088826 second(s), 49 queries .