CARI Infonet

Forgot password?
 Register

ADVERTISEMENT

Author: makcikmengamok

New Modern Malay Thinking Vs Old Traditional Malay Thinking

[Copy link]
Post time 18-3-2009 03:39 PM | Show all posts
Musa Hitam, bekas timbalan perdana menteri dulu penah lontarkan idea supaya melayu perlu kurang ajar....maknanya tidak berselindung dan lebih  agresif menyatakan pendirian pendapat. Kadang2 kita asyik nak jaga hati orang...last2 hati kita sendiri yang terguris:@

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 20-3-2009 08:24 PM | Show all posts
the definition of modernism need to be clarified.  to me we need to uphold the values -

Use magic Report

Post time 22-3-2009 06:42 PM | Show all posts

Reply #21 sent626's post

Aggression does not necessarily  represent strength nor rightiousness. I prefer being rational, clear and concise and then walk the talk.

[ Last edited by  hamizao at 29-3-2009 00:44 ]

Use magic Report

Post time 24-3-2009 06:33 PM | Show all posts

Reply #23 hamizao's post

walk the talk

yes, i agree. walk the talk ni jarang org buat. sume org claim mereka mendengar tapi sebenarnye tidak. bila nak buat keje, sekor pun takde.
jadi NATO lah - No Action Talk Only

Use magic Report

Post time 29-3-2009 01:22 AM | Show all posts
Originally posted by journey7148 at 20-3-2009 20:24
the definition of modernism need to be clarified.  to me we need to uphold the values -

Basically, modernism covers  a pretty wide area. However in the context of "thinking" as posted here, I take the stance of a  way of expressing oneself usually manifesting  perhaps, well after WW2 among the Malay community as the result of urbanization, industrialization, contacts with other culture, science, theories and other knowledge. Generally percieved as also  a departure from certain traditional beliefs and values. They are simply branded as  "kolot".

Of course anyone else is welcome to add his/her  stance.

[ Last edited by  hamizao at 29-3-2009 01:25 ]

Use magic Report

Post time 30-3-2009 01:11 AM | Show all posts
Originally posted by hamizao at 29-3-2009 01:22

Basically, modernism covers  a pretty wide area. However in the context of "thinking" as posted here, I take the stance of a  way of expressing oneself usually manifesting  perhaps, well afte ...

Agree! this is very complicated  subject from the ethno-centric point of view. Need to study a little bit further..My take is Malay orthodoxy is a liability and historically it is self-evident.

Use magic Report

Follow Us
 Author| Post time 30-3-2009 08:53 AM | Show all posts
but....what about hari tu..aku pi thread gossip..
then ada sorg forumer tu..dier comment cakap..
taik lalat kat mulut syafnie(exwife AC Mizal)...
tu...menunjukkan character seseorg tu...cerewet...salu tak puas hati..

malay traditional thinking...salu cam...stereotyping ppl jerk nampak...

Use magic Report

Post time 2-4-2009 12:26 AM | Show all posts

hmm. interesting

Originally posted by makcikmengamok at 30-3-2009 08:53
tu...menunjukkan character seseorg tu...cerewe ...

well dear,
stereotyping is not just confined to Malay ethnic group, i think,  but  it may be the type of thinking  held by other  ethnic groups too. This is  even more prominent if one were to discuss on  topics like  cultures, religion and lifestyle etc etc.In a way i guess the emergence of this modern type of thinking could be due to globalization, media exposure etc etc....

Is it good or bad? depends...as long as the value system is still in place, I guess we should not be worry.

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 16-4-2009 05:33 PM | Show all posts
Yes, during the "dark" ages people find ways to make sense of things. They eventually developed a value system that may hold good for that time. Now, with knowledge in abundance, rationalisation takes a different seat.

There were times our mother used to discourage us from sitting on the pillows (where we would normally lay our head on) by saying we would have boils on our bum. The fortune tellers would have many a tale related to positions of moles on us, lines on our palms and  stars we are born under. Others use fung suei ...............and make a lot of mony at that!

Every community has it's value or belief system. Those which have been better rationalised by science have certainly changed. Unfortunately, many people are still ignorant. Some things just don't change......................Put a man and a woman together, they may soon succumb to fatal attraction no matter who they are...... I don't really see how this Norman-Abby episode is affecting us.

[ Last edited by  hamizao at 18-4-2009 13:19 ]

Use magic Report

Post time 17-4-2009 07:47 AM | Show all posts
Originally posted by makcikmengamok at 30-3-2009 08:53
tu...menunjukkan character seseorg tu...cerewe ...

melayu saja ka?....
kalo melayu saja...takdaklah ilmu2 astronomy tu
dipelopori oleh golongan2 arab dan sekarang omputih
sama gak dgn chinese horoscope...tu pun boleh kata, stereotyping gakk

Use magic Report

Post time 20-4-2009 09:55 AM | Show all posts

Reply #26 thamrong's post

My take is Malay orthodoxy is a liability and historically it is self-evident.

i agree with this one, but many thought that malay orthodoxy is being backward in a fast-pace country. i wish ada org document the old ways or traditional ways the Malays live in because i was born in KL, n grew up in KL so i never had any experience in the jungle/sawah padi/etc so someone to document this kind of lifestyle would be good.

Use magic Report

Post time 20-4-2009 09:58 AM | Show all posts

Reply #28 mbhcsf's post

betul2...
steroptyping or generalizing bukan shj dilakukan oleh Malays but also everyone in this world. omputih pun panggil kite Asians jer or sometimes Orientals. Asians sometimes reserved for Indians.
tgk muke Asians, nak agak kite penyangak, takde duit bagai. bile nak pegi shopping, takmo layan.
i like the variations so i do surprise myself when i jumpe org yg 'same', instead of the other way around.

Use magic Report

Post time 21-4-2009 07:43 AM | Show all posts
org dah masuk pascamoden...

melayu.. moden pun masih tak lepas?...

Use magic Report

Post time 22-4-2009 11:01 PM | Show all posts

Reply #33 petola's post

pascamoden ni ada dlm architecture jer. alam lain pun ade ek?

Use magic Report

Post time 22-4-2009 11:48 PM | Show all posts
You do not have to be a UK/US/Bandung medic or any graduate to be segregated into who's the 'modern malay' and who not.

I personally believe that THE Modern Malay is someone who is well-read. Who moves and grows with the Times. Glo-cal. Capable of perceiving things with the rationality of 50/50. The MM sees things from an eagle-eye view. If it's haram, then it's between you and Allah swt. If it can be corrected and fixed, I will suggest resolution/suggestions/alternatives. The MM, is, yes, open-minded but then again, the MM will be perceived from the 'traditional' person as....'cetek agama'.....then again, they won't give a shen about what the 'traditional' thinker says .

Anyone can be an MM or a TT (Traditional Thinker). It's just up to us to how we want to see things. We see things the way WE WANT it to be seen.

Just my 2 sens la.

Use magic Report

Post time 22-4-2009 11:55 PM | Show all posts
Mat salleh pun ada Modern and Traditional.

The Modern Thinker, will know that a big majority of Asian people are IT literate, educated, aware of what's going on in the world today and should not be underestimated. Some will even know where Malaysia is ))

The 'traditional' kg.com mat salleh would still perceive the Asian as 3rd World and can't speak a smatterring of English. Hence comes the racial attacks. Sbb org2 racist ni org yang memang 'kurang di-ajar'.

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 24-4-2009 11:32 PM | Show all posts
Originally posted by redsinner at 22-4-2009 23:01
pascamoden ni ada dlm architecture jer. alam lain pun ade ek?

pernah dengar richard rorty, michel foucault, jacques derrida?

Use magic Report

Post time 25-4-2009 03:22 PM | Show all posts

Reply #37 petola's post

nope. they are not Nobel laureates i guess. who are they then ?pray tell , please?

Use magic Report

Post time 26-4-2009 08:14 AM | Show all posts
Originally posted by mbhcsf at 25-4-2009 15:22
nope. they are not Nobel laureates i guess. who are they then ?pray tell , please?

pi tanya lobai google...

Use magic Report

Post time 26-4-2009 11:28 AM | Show all posts

Reply #39 petola's post

i could but right now ken ahabiskan report so tak der masa, so analisis you on these three people apa agaknyer ?

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

ADVERTISEMENT

Forum Hot Topic

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT
Follow Us

ADVERTISEMENT

Mobile|Archiver|Mobile*default|About Us|CariDotMy

15-5-2024 02:47 AM GMT+8 , Processed in 0.062932 second(s), 42 queries .