Forgot password?
 Register

ADVERTISEMENT

Author: BeanDiesel

Questions on English Grammar

[Copy link]
Post time 10-8-2007 12:35 PM | Show all posts

Reply #40 dexa's post

DexA, thanks, the sentence is by itself.  So both are correct right?  Can you give example when only one of them is correct.  Thank you so much.

My son will be greatly comforted after hearing this good news.

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 12-8-2007 05:26 PM | Show all posts
akum,

one of the forumers is an english teacher who has spent a lot of times writing an english book which is very good and easy to follow. He has also posted lots of materials that might help to clarify some of the things which have been asked or queried here. Learning a new language has never been an easy thing to do to any of us, but with lots of imagination and determination, anybody can do it.

good luck guys.

[ Last edited by  enot66 at 12-8-2007 05:28 PM ]

Use magic Report

Post time 12-8-2007 05:41 PM | Show all posts
Originally posted by aurorae at 10-8-2007 12:35 PM
DexA, thanks, the sentence is by itself.  So both are correct right?  Can you give example when only one of them is correct.  Thank you so much.

My son will be greatly comforted after hearing  ...

guys,

don't take what I am about to say to heart. it is just a passing comments.

Last year, when we were in malaysia, my husband helped one of my nephews with his english homework. when the nephew came back from  school in the  afternoon, he was not best pleased with the result. Out of 10 questions, the teacher only accepted 2 as correct answers and the rest were wrong.

My husband is an english speaking person becuase he is british and he is a senior lecturer at sheffield university. So, an alarm bell rang regarding the standard of english teachers in malaysia. Having said that, I might have been wronged to jump into a conclusion in saying so but, it was really worrying that the teacher wronged the correct answers. hmmmmmmmm

Use magic Report

Post time 16-8-2007 01:02 AM | Show all posts

let's take a look at this --

What do they mean by 揟HOSE TABLE DIDN扵 ORDER DRINKS, WILL CHARGE RM0.40

Use magic Report

Post time 16-8-2007 11:18 AM | Show all posts

Reply #43 enot66's post

i have to agree with you here

i supposed the teacher nowadays rely too much on the schematic answers they themselves do not know when a sentence is actually correct even if it is not the same as the answer they have.

this is a problem and the solution has yet to be found.

well, my kid is still very young and probably i would encourage her to ask the teacher why her answer is wrong when it is gramatically right (this is when she starts schooling later). i know kids tend to agree with teachers and seldom will argue with them, but it is good to get an answer from the horse's mouth - so to speak.

[ Last edited by  cik_dee_na at 16-8-2007 11:19 AM ]

Use magic Report

Post time 16-8-2007 11:37 PM | Show all posts
[quote]Originally posted by dexa at 16-8-2007 01:02 AM

let's take a look at this --

http://thestar.com.my/archives/2007/8/15/lifefocus/f_16moe.jpg

What do they mean by 揟HOSE TABLE DIDN扵 ORDER DRINKS, WILL CHARGE RM0.40

Use magic Report

Follow Us
Post time 16-8-2007 11:40 PM | Show all posts

Reply #45 cik_dee_na's post

yes,

it would be interesting to hear what the teachers have to say to that. you know what the teachers are like.

Use magic Report

Post time 17-8-2007 12:04 AM | Show all posts
my sister used to get very annoyed with me when she told me

"lets have lunch. I've got off day today?" and I replied "what have you got? fever or cold?"
"who sakitlah. she often replied"

well, for me when people say off day means - not feeling well, but when they say, day off it is immediately means having a day off work.

what do you think?

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 17-8-2007 02:48 AM | Show all posts
Originally posted by enot66 at 16-8-2007 23:37

There are lots of example which really fun to read but at times can be confusing as well. One of  these days when I have time I will try to post some of them.

"looking forward to seeing yo ...

maybe the use of seeing itself...as far as i can remember we have to put the root word after using to
andmaybe most malaysian are not used to that term..

come to think of it, what you said about the standard of english teacher is correct perhaps...
most of  malaysians i guess as long as they understand what you said and able to speak to you back with correct basic
grammar is good enough...

just my 2cents..

Use magic Report

Post time 24-8-2007 12:29 PM | Show all posts
something for us to learn -
fun with english grammar and style -

LOOK at the following 憇tories

Use magic Report

Post time 27-8-2007 03:41 PM | Show all posts
is it correct if i write the sentence as below?

I have accidentally created the profile... does this make sense?

Use magic Report

Post time 20-3-2008 08:00 AM | Show all posts

What's the difference?

The differences between the following pairs of words, and illustrate with sentences:

i) incredible / incredulous

Something incredible is something that is very hard or impossible to believe, e.g. 揑 find it incredible that you could be this man抯 mother: you look too young!

Use magic Report

Post time 20-3-2008 02:41 PM | Show all posts
dexa,

Do u mind if u could give us tips how to improve english listening skill?I've been struggling for years to learn english..but still my english at intermediate..

ps:the above sentence is it correct?If i have made any mistakes including this 'ps' do tell me.I really want to learn english as i will work soon.

'di takuk lama' in english ape?

[ Last edited by  sunshine66 at 20-3-2008 02:42 PM ]

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Post time 20-3-2008 03:03 PM | Show all posts

Reply #53 sunshine66's post

dexa,

Do u mind if u could give us tips how to improve english listening skill?I've been struggling for years to learn english..but still my english at intermediate..

ps:the above sentence is it correct?If i have made any mistakes including this 'ps' do tell me.I really want to learn english as i will work soon.

'di takuk lama' in english ape?

hi sun..
I am still learning it myself but I'm sure lots of us here will be a helping hand with one another, eh..

I read some of your post and frankly I think your English is great and excellent..
Listening skill mostly need more concentration and understanding the pronunciation ..

That was the course I took specifically in U of Vic  " pronunciation in English" cuz it helps to
be able to converse in English better as well as to have a sharper listening skills..

We can learn together in the other thread up there (sticked), by writing our post in English ...
and by god some of the forum members did help me too and I really appreciate it -

'Di takuk lama' -
if you wanna write a sentence re: my english still di takuk lama -

this is an example of that :  My English is at the same level as before and it hasn't improve a bit -
(you oughta write - 'it hasn't improve yet' in order to distinguish re: the level that we talked about)

This is much simpler: -

Do you mind to give us some tips on how to improve our English listening skills?
*but my English is still at an intermediate level -

keep up the good work, eh.. and let's improve our English -

Use magic Report

Post time 20-3-2008 03:05 PM | Show all posts

Reply #51 ekselen's post

I have accidentally created the profile... does this make sense?

it makes sense...  

Use magic Report

Post time 20-3-2008 03:19 PM | Show all posts
thanks!!!I appreciate your help

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 20-3-2008 03:33 PM | Show all posts

Reply #56 sunshine66's post

de nada -

Use magic Report

Post time 21-3-2008 12:09 PM | Show all posts
how to say if lets say...i mad ay someone..

meenaan i buy you a drink.
meast night while we were chatting you called me froggie because of my voice sounds like one..and today you dare to ask me out?!!!

please correct my sentences.

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Post time 21-3-2008 10:21 PM | Show all posts

Reply #58 sunshine66's post

how to say if lets say...i mad ay someone..

meena  can i buy you a drink.

me  last night while we were chatting you called me froggie because of my voice sounds like one..and today you dare to ask me out?!!!

not too sure about your sentences.. but let's try 'em.. -

How could you asked me out when just last night you insulted my voice?

rasanya simpler just straight to the point macam tu .. eh?

maybe ada lagi better ways to explain the feeling, perhaps?

Use magic Report

Post time 21-3-2008 10:40 PM | Show all posts
yeaaaaaah ..correct correct..thts want i want to know..thanks!!!

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT
Follow Us

ADVERTISEMENT

Mobile|Archiver|Mobile*default|About Us|CARI Infonet

10-5-2024 02:48 AM GMT+8 , Processed in 0.058629 second(s), 43 queries .