CARI Infonet

Forgot password?
 Register

ADVERTISEMENT

View: 5875|Reply: 10

possibility of Mediterranean plants in Malaysian Climate?

[Copy link]
Post time 21-4-2007 11:31 PM | Show all posts |Read mode
well i just thought i'd inquire about the subject due to my personal interest...how do we grow mediterranean plants in a climate with high humidity ? if i stay nearby the sea with good wind circulation and proper drainage, would this help compensate the risk factors?

some mediterranean plants include citrus

herbs

oregano

rosemary

Sage

Thyme

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 30-4-2007 08:39 PM | Show all posts
I've had experience planting such herbs. Yang pernah berjaya tumbuh, sweet basil ( what a jungle that was!),oregano, sage, thyme, melokhia leaves (jew's mallow - a egyptian leafy vegetables) and a few types of lettuces (using hydroponic method). Masa tu I used mostly Fothergill's brand of seed, they are usually quite succesful.

But it's difficult to get seeds that will grow these days, if you do know where I can get them, please share. One seeds that I'm really looking for would be arugula/rocket, my sister promised to bring back from Egypt, but she claimed she forgot!:@

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 1-5-2007 03:01 AM | Show all posts
Sweet Basil grows well, check up the Yates website, for Basil they have at least 5 different varieties, varying from sweet basil to mint basil, ive grown at  least 4 types and they all smell wonderful

Congratulations Amelie, Great to know you are able to grow Lettuce in Malaysia( or are you in Malaysia?) , thats a sign that it surely can be done . Its wonderful  that you coud get  oregano, sage, oregano and melokhia to grow . and the arugula, You mean Rocket leaves ? the ones people eat as salads ? I know how to get them, yes and Yates do sell those... yeh and they taste great!

im looking forward to grow rosemary, i guess i have to dig a feet or two deep and mix in pebbles( for Drainage)  and organic compost. It woud be a great looking hedge albeit its  distinctive smell..

[ Last edited by  Obersliutenant at 1-5-2007 03:25 AM ]

Use magic Report

Post time 2-5-2007 01:34 AM | Show all posts
yep I'm in Malaysia. Now that you mention it, Yates is also another brand that gives me higher success rate in planting herbs in Malaysia. Are you in Malaysia too?

The lettuces I've successfully planted & harvested was oak leaf, purple coral, green coral and a couple more that the names just eludes me (this was like 11-12 years ago) All of them planted using hydroponic method on low ground (not highlands like Cameron!) I just remembered that I've also planted dill too.

I've not been able to plant rosemary from cuttings, like I've done with oregano and thyme.

Like I said it's difficult to to get seed for herbs here these day, my theory is that those Cameronian farmer has bought them all to plant & sell

Did I mention that I've also grown alfalfa sprout? It's done with just tepid water and nothing else...

[ Last edited by  Amelie_Poulain at 2-5-2007 01:43 AM ]

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 2-5-2007 10:46 AM | Show all posts
Dear Amelie im studying in Australia right now and i can say all the herbs that you mentioned are readily available in any gardening store in my area.

Ah Alfafa sprouts, i hear they'd do very well in Alkaline soil ( thats iif you decide to transplant them). A very hardy plant and even referred as alfafa grass . In some areas it is recommended to be used as green manure(fertillizer) as it is high in nutritional value therefore extremely beneficial to be incorporate into the soil.

yes and when i was back in Sabah i remembered i did planted Dill too, transplanted them unto the ground and left them there.. i used Fothergills which i brought back from Australia.

And about rosemary, ive heard some tips though...strip the lower leaves, peel the heal of the cutting and dip it in rooting cream or powder ,  put it in the soil to a depth about 4-7 cm , keep the air humid and warm.< at this point, dont let it dry out>wait for 2-3 weeks, it woud have started to root...( heat pads should work to help it root faster)

Lettuce varieties as far to my understanding, cos lettuces are heat resistant... if you coud grow them on low ground on hydrophonic method there coud be real chance that you coud actually grow them in soil( which i think you've tried) i assume that you may have came upon pest & disease problems about lettuces grown on the outside.

[ Last edited by  Obersliutenant at 2-5-2007 10:50 AM ]

Use magic Report

Post time 4-5-2007 09:14 AM | Show all posts
korang ni cakap owgputih memanjang...tergeliat saraf nak translate tawww...

obs, akak suka kalau boleh tanam segala nika herba2 tu..syoknyeee...
akak suka guna tyme , basil dan oregano tu..untuk masak2 pizaa, panggang dagung,
masak spaghetti...kalau boleh idop dalam suhu biasa kat sini..memang akak tanam

Use magic Report

Follow Us
Post time 6-5-2007 09:23 AM | Show all posts
cguct, hehheheh cakap melayu pon boleh...

nanti kalau saya berjaya tanam pokok tu sekali lagi, saya cakap kat cguct, bolehlah cguct cuba okay?

Use magic Report

Post time 6-5-2007 12:04 PM | Show all posts

Reply #7 Amelie_Poulain's post

kalau boleh idup. amelie bagilah noo benih kat akak ni...
suka guna yang fresh kalau ada..tapi setakat ni guna yang kering je la..
esp kalau nak buat bouquet garni....

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 8-5-2007 11:03 AM | Show all posts

Reply #8 cguct1970's post

insyaallah...

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 8-5-2007 07:53 PM | Show all posts

Reply #8 cguct1970's post

haha kerana sya rasa tak adil laa org putih boleh menanam pokok2 tropika, sya pun nak tanam tumbuhan mereka org ...

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 3-11-2007 04:28 PM | Show all posts

Reply #9 Amelie_Poulain's post

Amelie when i get back Insya'allah, i will post you a packet of rocket seeds for an exchange of alfafa
...just PM me

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT
Follow Us

ADVERTISEMENT

Mobile|Archiver|Mobile*default|About Us|CARI Infonet

9-5-2024 04:29 AM GMT+8 , Processed in 0.057632 second(s), 36 queries .