CARI Infonet

Forgot password?
 Register

ADVERTISEMENT

Author: seribulan

[Pelbagai] Food @ Drink Quotes...

[Copy link]
Post time 10-4-2019 03:26 PM From the mobile phone | Show all posts
The secret of good cooking is, first, having a love of it… If you’re convinced that cooking is drudgery, you’re never going to be good at it, and you might as well warm up something frozen.

James Beard

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 10-4-2019 03:26 PM From the mobile phone | Show all posts
She spoke of evenings in the country making popcorn on the porch. Once this would have gladdened my heart but because her heart was not glad when she said it I knew there was nothing in it but the idea of what one should do.

Jack Kerouac

Use magic Report

Post time 10-4-2019 03:42 PM From the mobile phone | Show all posts

Use magic Report

Post time 10-4-2019 04:05 PM From the mobile phone | Show all posts

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 10-4-2019 04:07 PM | Show all posts
“If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.”

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 10-4-2019 04:09 PM | Show all posts

Charles M. Schulz
“All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.”
― Charles M. Schulz

J.R.R. Tolkien
“If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien

William Shakespeare
“This above all: to thine own self be true,
And it must follow, as the night the day,
Thou canst not then be false to any man.”
― William Shakespeare, Hamlet

Scott Adams
“I love you like a fat kid loves cake!”
― Scott Adams

Virginia Woolf
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf, A Room of One's Own

Orson Welles
“Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what’s for lunch.”
― Orson Welles

Christopher Hitchens
“Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are god. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are gods.”
― Christopher Hitchens, The Portable Atheist: Essential Readings for the Nonbeliever

Oscar Wilde
“After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relations.”
― Oscar Wilde, A Woman of No Importance

Andrew Solomon
“Listen to the people who love you. Believe that they are worth living for even when you don't believe it. Seek out the memories depression takes away and project them into the future. Be brave; be strong; take your pills. Exercise because it's good for you even if every step weighs a thousand pounds. Eat when food itself disgusts you. Reason with yourself when you have lost your reason.”
― Andrew Solomon, The Noonday Demon: An Atlas of Depression

Mahatma Gandhi
“There are people in the world so hungry, that God cannot appear to them except in the form of bread.”
― Mahatma Gandhi

Ruth Reichl
“Pull up a chair. Take a taste. Come join us. Life is so endlessly delicious.”
― Ruth Reichl

Erma Bombeck
“Seize the moment. Remember all those women on the 'Titanic' who waved off the dessert cart.”
― Erma Bombeck

James Patterson
“Popcorn for breakfast! Why not? It's a grain. It's like, like, grits, but with high self-esteem.”
― James Patterson, The Angel Experiment

George Bernard Shaw
“There is no love sincerer than the love of food.”
― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

W.C. Fields
“I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food.”
― W.C. Fields

Mary Berry
“Cakes are healthy too, you just eat a small slice.”
― Mary Berry

M.F.K. Fisher
“Probably one of the most private things in the world is an egg before it is broken.”
― M.F.K. Fisher

Hippocrates
“Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food.”
― Hippocrates

“A fit, healthy body—that is the best fashion statement”
― Jess C Scott

Rick Riordan
“I could have killed you.”
“Or I could have killed you,” Percy said.
Jason shrugged. “If there’d been an ocean in Kansas, maybe.”
“I don’t need an ocean—”
“Boys,” Annabeth interrupted, “I’m sure you both would’ve been wonderful at killing each other. But right now, you need some rest.”
Food first,” Percy said. “Please?”
― Rick Riordan, The Mark of Athena

Joss Whedon
“Humor keeps us alive. Humor and food. Don't forget food. You can go a week without laughing.”
― Joss Whedon

Julia Child
“The only time to eat diet food is while you're waiting for the steak to cook.”
― Julia Child

Michael Pollan
“You are what what you eat eats.”
― Michael Pollan, In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto

Roald Dahl
“Do you know what breakfast cereal is made of? It's made of all those little curly wooden shavings you find in pencil sharpeners!”
― Roald Dahl

Meg Cabot
“Wait. Why am I thinking about Krispy Kremes? We’re supposed to be exercising.”
― Meg Cabot, Big Boned

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Follow Us
 Author| Post time 10-4-2019 04:12 PM | Show all posts
      “When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist.”  
  ―      Dom Helder Camara,            Dom Helder Camara: Essential Writings        

“I am a better person when I have less on my plate.”  
  ―      Elizabeth Gilbert,            Eat, Pray, Love        

“Am I tough? Am I strong? Am I hard-core? Absolutely.
Did I whimper with pathetic delight when I sank my teeth into my hot fried-chicken sandwich? You betcha.”  
  ―      James Patterson  

“What I say is that, if a man really likes potatoes, he must be a pretty decent sort of fellow.”  
  ―      A.A. Milne  

“Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.”  
  ―      Michael Pollan,            In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto        

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 10-4-2019 04:14 PM | Show all posts
                          “We must have a pie. Stress cannot exist in the presence of a pie.”  
  ―      David Mamet,            Boston Marriage         
        tags:       dessert,       eating,       food,       humor,       pie,       stress   
        652 likes   

“Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside.”  
  ―      Mark Twain  
        tags:       food   
        598 likes   

“There are three possible parts to a date, of which at least two must be offered: entertainment, food, and affection. It is customary to begin a series of dates with a great deal of entertainment, a moderate amount of food, and the merest suggestion of affection. As the amount of affection increases, the entertainment can be reduced proportionately. When the affection IS the entertainment, we no longer call it dating. Under no circumstances can the food be omitted.”  
  ―      Judith Martin  
        tags:       affection,       dating,       eating,       entertainment,       etiquette,       food,       romance   
        580 likes   

“your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.”  
  ―      Anthony Bourdain,            Kitchen Confidential: Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly        
        tags:       body,       food   
        571 likes   

“The only real stumbling block is fear of failure. In cooking you've got to have a what-the-hell attitude.”  
  ―      Julia Child  
        tags:       cooking,       food   
        552 likes   

“Don't wreck a sublime chocolate experience by feeling guilty.
Chocolate isn't like premarital sex. It will not make you pregnant.
And it always feels good.”  
  ―      Lora Brody  
        tags:       chocolate,       food,       humor,       sex   
        544 likes   

“I am not a glutton - I am an explorer of food”  
  ―      Erma Bombeck  
        tags:       food,       humor   
        495 likes   

“There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will.”  
  ―      Robert Frost  
        tags:       food,       marriage   
        491 likes   

“Ice-cream is exquisite. What a pity it isn't illegal.”  
  ―      Voltaire  
        482 likes   

“How can you govern a country which has 246 varieties of cheese?”  
  ―      Charles de Gaulle  
        tags:       cheese,       diversity,       divisiveness,       food,       france,       politics   
        461 likes   

“You can't just eat good food. You've got to talk about it too. And you've got to talk about it to somebody who understands that kind of food.”  
  ―      Kurt Vonnegut,            Jailbird        
        441 likes   

“I hate people who are not serious about meals. It is so shallow of them.”  
  ―      Oscar Wilde,            The Importance of Being Earnest        
        tags:       absurd-but-nicely-phrased,       food,       foodie   
        422 likes   

“I breathe in slowly. Food is life. I exhale, take another breath. Food is life. And that's the problem. When you're alive, people can hurt you. It's easier to crawl into a bone cage or a snowdrift of confusion. It's easier to lock everybody out.
But it's a lie.”  
  ―      Laurie Halse Anderson,            Wintergirls        
        tags:       eating-disorders,       food   
        394 likes   

“The most remarkable thing about my mother is that for thirty years she served the family nothing but leftovers. The original meal has never been found.”  
  ―      Calvin Trillin  
        tags:       cooking,       food,       humor,       leftovers,       mothers   
        393 likes   

“He showed the words “chocolate cake” to a group of Americans and recorded their word associations. “Guilt” was the top response. If that strikes you as unexceptional, consider the response of French eaters to the same prompt: “celebration.”  
        tags:       americans,       chocolate,       chocolate-cake,       connotations,       food,       french,       guilt,       politics,       semantics,       word-association   
        362 likes   

“Anything is good if it's made of chocolate.”  
  ―      Jo Brand  
        tags:       chocolate,       food   
        354 likes   

“As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.”  
  ―      Ernest Hemingway,            A Moveable Feast        
        tags:       food,       wine   
        351 likes   

“You're thinking I'm one of those wise-ass California vegetarians who is going to tell you that eating a few strips of bacon is bad for your health. I'm not. I say its a free country and you should be able to kill yourself at any rate you choose, as long as your cold dead body is not blocking my driveway.”  
  ―      Scott Adams  
        tags:       food,       humor,       vegetarian,       vegetarianism   
        345 likes   

“While Leo fussed over his helm controls, Hazel and Frank relayed the story of the fish-centaurs and their training camp.
'Incredible,' Jason said. 'These are really good brownies.'
'That's your only comment?' Piper demanded.
He looked surprised. 'What? I heard the story. Fish-centaurs. Merpeople. Letter of intro to the Tiber River god. Got it. But these brownies--'
'I know,' Frank said, his mouth full. 'Try them with Ester's peach preserves.'
'That,' Hazel said, 'is incredibly disgusting.'
'Pass me the jar, man,' Jason said.
Hazel and Piper exchanged a look of total exasperation. Boys.”  
  ―      Rick Riordan,            The Mark of Athena        
        tags:       boys,       brownies,       eating,       esther,       food,       incredibly-disgusting,       jar,       mark-of-athena,       peach-preserves,       story-telling   
        317 likes   

“I don't know what it is about food your mother makes for you, especially when it's something that anyone can make - pancakes, meat loaf, tuna salad - but it carries a certain taste of memory.”  
  ―      Mitch Albom  
        tags:       food,       mother   
        311 likes   

“Do we really want to travel in hermetically sealed popemobiles through the rural provinces of France, Mexico and the Far East, eating only in Hard Rock Cafes and McDonalds? Or do we want to eat without fear, tearing into the local stew, the humble taqueria's mystery meat, the sincerely offered gift of a lightly grilled fish head? I know what I want. I want it all. I want to try everything once.”  
  ―      Anthony Bourdain,            Kitchen Confidential: Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly        
        tags:       experience,       food,       travel   
        299 likes   

“If this is coffee, please bring me some tea; but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee.”  
  ―      Abraham Lincoln  
        tags:       food,       food-critics   
        294 likes   

“Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he'll buy a funny hat. Talk to a hungry man about fish, and you're a consultant.”  
  ―      Scott Adams  
        tags:       advice,       fish,       food,       humor,       wisdom   
        293 likes   

“You can tell a lot about a fellow's character by his way of eating jellybeans. ”  
  ―      Ronald Reagan  
        tags:       candy,       character,       dessert,       food,       jellybeans,       snacks   
        291 likes   

“Training is everything. The peach was once a bitter almond; cauliflower is nothing but cabbage with a college education.”  
  ―      Mark Twain  
        tags:       education,       food   
        275 likes   

“Whoever thought a tiny candy bar should be called fun size was a moron.”  
  ―      Glenn Beck  
        tags:       candy,       food,       labels   
        244 likes   

“No one who cooks, cooks alone. Even at her most solitary, a cook in the kitchen is surrounded by generations of cooks past, the advice and menus of cooks present, the wisdom of cookbook writers.”  
  ―      Laurie Colwin  
        222 likes   

“My love is pizza shaped. Won’t you have a slice? It’s circular, so there’s enough to go around.
”  
  ―      Dora J. Arod,            Love quotes for the ages. And the ageless sages.        
        tags:       absurd,       food,       life,       love,       love-quote,       pizza,       relationships,       word-junkies   
        115 likes   

“My love is meatloaf flavored. I just wish my meatloaf was also meatloaf flavored.”  
  ―      Dora J. Arod,            Love quotes for the ages. And the ageless sages.        
        tags:       absurd,       desire,       flavor,       food,       funny,       humor,       love,       love-quotes,       meatloaf,       wish,       word-junkies   
        50 likes   

“She asked if I loved another woman, so I answered honestly and said, “Dinner was great, but I could go for dessert.”  
  ―      Dark Jar Tin Zoo,            Love Quotes for the Ages. Specifically Ages 19-91.        
        tags:       dinner,       food,       funny,       honesty,       humor,       love,       relationships,       word-junkies   
        49 likes   

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 11-4-2019 10:23 AM From the mobile phone | Show all posts
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Charles M. Schulz

Use magic Report

Post time 11-4-2019 10:24 AM From the mobile phone | Show all posts
Popcorn for breakfast! Why not? It's a grain. It's like, like, grits, but with high self-esteem.
James Patterson

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Post time 11-4-2019 02:42 PM From the mobile phone | Show all posts
Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside.

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 11-4-2019 04:11 PM | Show all posts
                          “We must have a pie. Stress cannot exist in the presence of a pie.”  
  ―      David Mamet,            Boston Marriage         
        tags:       dessert,       eating,       food,       humor,       pie,       stress   
        652 likes   

“Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside.”  
  ―      Mark Twain  
        598 likes   

“There are three possible parts to a date, of which at least two must be offered: entertainment, food, and affection. It is customary to begin a series of dates with a great deal of entertainment, a moderate amount of food, and the merest suggestion of affection. As the amount of affection increases, the entertainment can be reduced proportionately. When the affection IS the entertainment, we no longer call it dating. Under no circumstances can the food be omitted.”  
  ―      Judith Martin  
        tags:       affection,       dating,       eating,       entertainment,       etiquette,       food,       romance   
        580 likes   

“your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.”  
        tags:       body,       food   
        571 likes   

“The only real stumbling block is fear of failure. In cooking you've got to have a what-the-hell attitude.”  
  ―      Julia Child  
        552 likes   

“Don't wreck a sublime chocolate experience by feeling guilty.
Chocolate isn't like premarital sex. It will not make you pregnant.
And it always feels good.”  
  ―      Lora Brody  
        tags:       chocolate,       food,       humor,       sex   
        544 likes   

“I am not a glutton - I am an explorer of food”  
  ―      Erma Bombeck  
        495 likes   

“There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will.”  
  ―      Robert Frost  
        tags:       food,       marriage   
        491 likes   

“Ice-cream is exquisite. What a pity it isn't illegal.”  
  ―      Voltaire  
        482 likes   

“How can you govern a country which has 246 varieties of cheese?”  
  ―      Charles de Gaulle  
        tags:       cheese,       diversity,       divisiveness,       food,       france,       politics   
        461 likes   

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 11-4-2019 04:12 PM | Show all posts

“You can't just eat good food. You've got to talk about it too. And you've got to talk about it to somebody who understands that kind of food.”  
  ―      Kurt Vonnegut,            Jailbird        
        441 likes   

“I hate people who are not serious about meals. It is so shallow of them.”  
  ―      Oscar Wilde,            The Importance of Being Earnest        
        tags:       absurd-but-nicely-phrased,       food,       foodie   
        422 likes   

“I breathe in slowly. Food is life. I exhale, take another breath. Food is life. And that's the problem. When you're alive, people can hurt you. It's easier to crawl into a bone cage or a snowdrift of confusion. It's easier to lock everybody out.
But it's a lie.”  
  ―      Laurie Halse Anderson,            Wintergirls        
        tags:       eating-disorders,       food   
        394 likes   

“The most remarkable thing about my mother is that for thirty years she served the family nothing but leftovers. The original meal has never been found.”  
  ―      Calvin Trillin  
        tags:       cooking,       food,       humor,       leftovers,       mothers   
        393 likes   

“He showed the words “chocolate cake” to a group of Americans and recorded their word associations. “Guilt” was the top response. If that strikes you as unexceptional, consider the response of French eaters to the same prompt: “celebration.”  
        tags:       americans,       chocolate,       chocolate-cake,       connotations,       food,       french,       guilt,       politics,       semantics,       word-association   
        362 likes   

“Anything is good if it's made of chocolate.”  
  ―      Jo Brand  
        354 likes   

“As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.”  
  ―      Ernest Hemingway,            A Moveable Feast        
        tags:       food,       wine   
        351 likes   

“You're thinking I'm one of those wise-ass California vegetarians who is going to tell you that eating a few strips of bacon is bad for your health. I'm not. I say its a free country and you should be able to kill yourself at any rate you choose, as long as your cold dead body is not blocking my driveway.”  
  ―      Scott Adams  
        tags:       food,       humor,       vegetarian,       vegetarianism   
        345 likes   

“While Leo fussed over his helm controls, Hazel and Frank relayed the story of the fish-centaurs and their training camp.
'Incredible,' Jason said. 'These are really good brownies.'
'That's your only comment?' Piper demanded.
He looked surprised. 'What? I heard the story. Fish-centaurs. Merpeople. Letter of intro to the Tiber River god. Got it. But these brownies--'
'I know,' Frank said, his mouth full. 'Try them with Ester's peach preserves.'
'That,' Hazel said, 'is incredibly disgusting.'
'Pass me the jar, man,' Jason said.
Hazel and Piper exchanged a look of total exasperation. Boys.”  
  ―      Rick Riordan,            The Mark of Athena        
        tags:       boys,       brownies,       eating,       esther,       food,       incredibly-disgusting,       jar,       mark-of-athena,       peach-preserves,       story-telling   
        317 likes   

“I don't know what it is about food your mother makes for you, especially when it's something that anyone can make - pancakes, meat loaf, tuna salad - but it carries a certain taste of memory.”  
  ―      Mitch Albom  
        tags:       food,       mother   
        311 likes   

“Do we really want to travel in hermetically sealed popemobiles through the rural provinces of France, Mexico and the Far East, eating only in Hard Rock Cafes and McDonalds? Or do we want to eat without fear, tearing into the local stew, the humble taqueria's mystery meat, the sincerely offered gift of a lightly grilled fish head? I know what I want. I want it all. I want to try everything once.”  
        tags:       experience,       food,       travel   
        299 likes   

“If this is coffee, please bring me some tea; but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee.”  
  ―      Abraham Lincoln  
        tags:       food,       food-critics   
        294 likes   

“Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he'll buy a funny hat. Talk to a hungry man about fish, and you're a consultant.”  
  ―      Scott Adams  
        tags:       advice,       fish,       food,       humor,       wisdom   
        293 likes   

“You can tell a lot about a fellow's character by his way of eating jellybeans. ”  
  ―      Ronald Reagan  
        tags:       candy,       character,       dessert,       food,       jellybeans,       snacks   
        291 likes   

“Training is everything. The peach was once a bitter almond; cauliflower is nothing but cabbage with a college education.”  
  ―      Mark Twain  
        tags:       education,       food   
        275 likes   

“Whoever thought a tiny candy bar should be called fun size was a moron.”  
  ―      Glenn Beck  
        tags:       candy,       food,       labels   
        244 likes   

“No one who cooks, cooks alone. Even at her most solitary, a cook in the kitchen is surrounded by generations of cooks past, the advice and menus of cooks present, the wisdom of cookbook writers.”  
  ―      Laurie Colwin  
        222 likes   

“My love is pizza shaped. Won’t you have a slice? It’s circular, so there’s enough to go around.
”  
        tags:       absurd,       food,       life,       love,       love-quote,       pizza,       relationships,       word-junkies   
        115 likes   

“My love is meatloaf flavored. I just wish my meatloaf was also meatloaf flavored.”  
        tags:       absurd,       desire,       flavor,       food,       funny,       humor,       love,       love-quotes,       meatloaf,       wish,       word-junkies   
        50 likes   

“She asked if I loved another woman, so I answered honestly and said, “Dinner was great, but I could go for dessert.”  
  ―      Dark Jar Tin Zoo,            Love Quotes for the Ages. Specifically Ages 19-91.   

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 11-4-2019 04:12 PM | Show all posts
                          “I am at the moment writing a lengthy indictment against our century. When my brain begins to reel from my literary labors, I make an occasional cheese dip.”  
  ―      John Kennedy Toole,            A Confederacy of Dunces         
        tags:       cheese,       dip,       dunce,       food,       history,       writing   
        471 likes   

“As I got closer to the fence, I held my shirt over my nose to block the smell. One stallion waded through the muck and whinnied angrily at me. He bared his teeth, which were pointed like a bear's.
I tried to talk to him in my mind. I can do that with most horses.
Hi, I told him. I'm going to clean your stables. Won't that be great?
Yes!
The horse said. Come inside! Eat you! Tasty half-blood!
But I'm Poseidon's son,
I protested. He created horses.
Usually this gets me VIP treatment in the equestrian world, not this time.
Yes! The horse agreed enthusiastically. Poseidon can come in, too! We will eat you both! Seafood!
Seafood!
The other horses chimed in as they waded through the field.”  
  ―      Rick Riordan,            The Battle of the Labyrinth        
        tags:       food,       horse,       humor,       percy-jackson,       poseidon,       seafood   
        425 likes   

“A culture fixated on female thinness is not an obsession about female beauty, but an obsession about female obedience. Dieting is the most potent political sedative in women’s history; a quietly mad population is a tractable one.”  
  ―      Naomi Wolf,            The Beauty Myth        
        tags:       beauty,       control,       diet,       fad,       feminism,       feminist,       food,       myth,       obedience   
        398 likes   

“If you're afraid of butter, use cream.”  
  ―      Julia Child  
        tags:       attributed-no-source,       cholesterol,       food   
        348 likes   

“Music with dinner is an insult both to the cook and the violinist.”  
  ―      G. K. Chesterton  
        tags:       food,       music   
        305 likes   

“You have just dined, and however scrupulously the slaughterhouse is concealed in the graceful distance of miles, there is complicity.”  
  ―      Ralph Waldo Emerson  
        tags:       animal-cruelty,       diet,       ethical,       ethics,       food,       slaughterhouse,       vegan,       veganism,       vegetarian,       vegetarianism   
        275 likes   

“Tofu tacos are not Mexican. I think putting tofu on anything and calling it Mexican is an insult to my people.”  
  ―      Simone Elkeles,            Rules of Attraction        
        tags:       ethnicity,       food   
        239 likes   

“Vegetarians, and their Hezbollah-like splinter faction, the vegans ... are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit.”  
  ―      Anthony Bourdain,            Kitchen Confidential        
        tags:       cooking,       food,       vegetarian   
        237 likes   

“The odds of going to the store for a loaf of bread and coming out with only a loaf of bread are three billion to one.”  
  ―      Erma Bombeck  
        tags:       food,       shopping   
        227 likes   

“How can a nation be called great if its bread tastes like kleenex?”  
  ―      Julia Child  
        tags:       bread,       food,       usa   
        215 likes   

“Have you tried the cinnamon things?" Poppet asks. "They're rather new. What are they called, Widge?"

"Fantastically delicious cinnamon things?”  
  ―      Erin Morgenstern,            The Night Circus        
        205 likes   

“I like a cook who smiles out loud when he tastes his own work.
Let God worry about your modesty; I want to see your enthusiasm.”  
  ―      Robert Farrar Capon  
        tags:       food,       religion   
        203 likes   

“Alcohol makes other people less tedious, and food less bland, and can help provide what the Greeks called entheos, or the slight buzz of inspiration when reading or writing. The only worthwhile miracle in the New Testament—the transmutation of water into wine during the wedding at Cana—is a tribute to the persistence of Hellenism in an otherwise austere Judaea. The same applies to the seder at Passover, which is obviously modeled on the Platonic symposium: questions are asked (especially of the young) while wine is circulated. No better form of sodality has ever been devised: at Oxford one was positively expected to take wine during tutorials. The tongue must be untied. It's not a coincidence that Omar Khayyam, rebuking and ridiculing the stone-faced Iranian mullahs of his time, pointed to the value of the grape as a mockery of their joyless and sterile regime. Visiting today's Iran, I was delighted to find that citizens made a point of defying the clerical ban on booze, keeping it in their homes for visitors even if they didn't particularly take to it themselves, and bootlegging it with great brio and ingenuity. These small revolutions affirm the human.”  
  ―      Christopher Hitchens,            Hitch 22: A Memoir        
        tags:       alcohol,       ancient-greeks,       atheism,       boredom,       brotherhood,       cana,       christianity,       entheos,       food,       hellenism,       inspiration,       iran,       judaea,       marriage-at-cana,       miracles,       mullahs,       new-testament,       omar-khayyam,       oxford,       passover,       passover-seder,       plato,       reading,       religion,       symposia,       wine,       writing   
        202 likes   

“I have made a lot of mistakes falling in love, and regretted
most of them, but never the potatoes that went with them.”  
  ―      Nora Ephron  
        tags:       food,       humor,       love   
        200 likes   

“All sorrows are less with bread. ”  
  ―      Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra  
        tags:       bread,       food   
        192 likes   

“The thought of two thousand people crunching celery at the same time horrified me.”  
  ―      George Bernard Shaw  
        tags:       food,       vegetarianism   
        178 likes   

“The single greatest lesson the garden teaches is that our relationship to the planet need not be zero-sum, and that as long as the sun still shines and people still can plan and plant, think and do, we can, if we bother to try, find ways to provide for ourselves without diminishing the world. ”  
  ―      Michael Pollan,            The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals        
        tags:       community,       eating,       food,       gardening,       happiness,       inspiration,       motivation,       planet,       relationships,       sharing   
        177 likes   

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 11-4-2019 04:13 PM | Show all posts

“Cooking is at once child's play and adult joy. And cooking done with care is an act of love.”  
  ―      Craig Claiborne  
        159 likes   

“Tomatoes and oregano make it Italian; wine and tarragon make it French. Sour cream makes it Russian; lemon and cinnamon make it Greek. Soy sauce makes it Chinese; garlic makes it good.”  
  ―      Alice May Brock  
        153 likes   

“The first time you see something that you have never seen before, you almost always know right away if you should eat it or run away from it.”  
  ―      Scott Adams  
        148 likes   

“Life is half delicious yogurt, half crap, and your job is to keep the plastic spoon in the yogurt.”  
  ―      Scott Adams  
        tags:       food,       humor,       life   
        143 likes   

“Tis an ill cook that cannot lick his own fingers.”  
  ―      William Shakespeare,            Romeo and Juliet        
        141 likes   

“It seems to me that our three basic needs, for food and security and love, are so mixed and mingled and entwined that we cannot straightly think of one without the others. So it happens that when I write of hunger, I am really writing about love and the hunger for it, and warmth and the love of it and the hunger for it… and then the warmth and richness and fine reality of hunger satisfied… and it is all one.”  
  ―      M.F.K. Fisher,            The Art of Eating        
        tags:       food,       love   
        136 likes   

“The main facts in human life are five: birth, food, sleep, love and death.”  
  ―      E. M. Forster  
        tags:       birth,       death,       facts,       food,       humanity,       life,       love,       sleep   
        128 likes   

“I know the look of an apple that is roasting and sizzling on the hearth on a winter's evening, and I know the comfort that comes of eating it hot, along with some sugar and a drench of cream... I know how the nuts taken in conjunction with winter apples, cider, and doughnuts, make old people's tales and old jokes sound fresh and crisp and enchanting.”  
  ―      Mark Twain  
        tags:       food,       winter   
        127 likes   

“It's so beautifully arranged on the plate - you know someone's fingers have been all over it.”  
  ―      Julia Child  
        127 likes   

“Every now and then, I'll run into someone who claims not to like chocolate, and while we live in a country where everyone has the right to eat what they want, I want to say for the record that I don't trust these people, that I think something is wrong with them, and that they're probably - and this must be said - total duds in bed.”  
  ―      Steve Almond,            Candyfreak: A Journey Through the Chocolate Underbelly of America        
        tags:       chocolate,       food,       people   
        118 likes   

“He was a bold man that first ate an oyster.”  
  ―      Jonathan Swift  
        116 likes   

“Parla come magni,' It means, 'Speak the way you eat,' or in my personal translation: 'Say it like you eat it.' It's a reminder - when you're making a big deal out of explaining something, when you're searching for the right words - to keep your language as simple and direct as Roman rood. Don't make a big production out of it. Just lay it on the table.”  
  ―      Elizabeth Gilbert,            Eat, Pray, Love        
        tags:       food,       lessons,       life   
        116 likes   

“We eat the year away. We eat the spring and the summer and the fall. We wait for something to grow and then we eat it.”  
  ―      Shirley Jackson,            We Have Always Lived in the Castle        
        115 likes   

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 12-4-2019 04:32 PM | Show all posts

“Life itself is the proper binge.”  
  ―      Julia Child  
        tags:       food,       life   
        173 likes   

“The discovery of a new dish does more for the happiness of the human race than the discovery of a star.”  
  ―      Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin,            The Physiology of Taste: Or, Meditations on Transcendental Gastronomy        
        tags:       astronomy,       astronomy-vs-gastronomy,       food,       happiness   
        164 likes   

“I do not particularly like the word 'work.' Human beings are the only animals who have to work, and I think that is the most ridiculous thing in the world. Other animals make their livings by living, but people work like crazy, thinking that they have to in order to stay alive. The bigger the job, the greater the challenge, the more wonderful they think it is. It would be good to give up that way of thinking and live an easy, comfortable life with plenty of free time. I think that the way animals live in the tropics, stepping outside in the morning and evening to see if there is something to eat, and taking a long nap in the afternoon, must be a wonderful life. For human beings, a life of such simplicity would be possible if one worked to produce directly his daily necessities. In such a life, work is not work as people generally think of it, but simply doing what needs to be done.”  
  ―      Masanobu Fukuoka,            The One-Straw Revolution        
        tags:       animals,       farming,       food,       leisure,       living,       living-well,       napping,       priorities,       revolution,       simple-living,       simplicity,       time,       work   
        160 likes   

“The cucumber and the tomato are both fruit; the avocado is a nut. To assist with the dietary requirements of vegetarians, on the first Tuesday of the month a chicken is officially a vegetable.”  
  ―      Jasper Fforde,            Shades of Grey        
        tags:       food,       humor,       vegetarian   
        155 likes   

“Thanksgiving dinners take eighteen hours to prepare. They are consumed in twelve minutes. Half-times take twelve minutes. This is not coincidence.”  
  ―      Erma Bombeck  
        tags:       food,       holidays,       thanksgiving   
        151 likes   

“A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.”  
  ―      Elsa Schiaparelli  
        150 likes   

“Anybody who believes that the way to a man's heart is through his stomach flunked geography. ”  
  ―      Robert Byrne   
        tags:       food,       men,       sex   
        120 likes   

“Always serve too much hot fudge sauce on hot fudge sundaes.
It makes people overjoyed, and puts them in your debt.”  
  ―      Judith Olney  
        119 likes   

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 13-4-2019 02:10 AM From the mobile phone | Show all posts
I am a better person when I have less on my plate.

Use magic Report

Post time 13-4-2019 02:15 AM From the mobile phone | Show all posts
After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relations.

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 13-4-2019 07:51 PM | Show all posts

eat, baby.
eat.
chew.
please.
I know it hurts. I know it doesn’t feel good.
please.
I know your hunger is different than mine.
I know it doesn’t taste the same as mine.
imagine you could grow up all over again
and pinpoint the millisecond that you started
counting calories like casualties of war,
mourning each one like it had a family.
would you?
sometimes I wonder that.
sometimes I wonder if you would go back
and watch yourself reappear and disappear right in front of your own eyes.
and I love you so much.
I am going to hold your little hand through the night.
just please eat. just a little.
you wrote a poem once,
about a city of walking skeletons.
the teacher called home because you
told her you wished it could be like that
here.
let me tell you something about bones, baby.
they are not warm or soft.
the wind whistles through them like they are
holes in a tree.
and they break, too. they break right in half.
they bruise and splinter like wood.
are you hungry?
I know. I know how much you hate that question.
I will find another way to ask it, someday.
please.
the voices.
I know they are all yelling at you to stretch yourself thinner.
l hear them counting, always counting.
I wish I had been there when the world made you
snap yourself in half.
I would have told you that your body is not a war-zone,
that, sometimes,
it is okay to leave your plate empty.
Caitlyn Siehl
Tags: eating-disorders, empty-plate, food, love, poem, poetry
Like  Likes:  109

Hearts can't be broken because they're made of marzipan.
Kerstin Gier, Smaragdgrün (Edelstein-Trilogie, #3)
Tags: creativity, food, humor, inspirational, romance
Like  Likes:  108

I've long believed that good food, good eating, is all about risk. Whether we're talking about unpasteurized Stilton, raw oysters or working for organized crime 'associates,' food, for me, has always been an adventure
Anthony Bourdain, Kitchen Confidential: Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly
Tags: bourdain, eating, food, risk
Like  Likes:  105

Don't let love interfere with your appetite. It never does with mine.
Anthony Trollope, Barchester Towers (Chronicles of Barsetshire #2)
Tags: food, love
Like  Likes:  104

New Orleans food is as delicious as the less criminal forms of sin.
Mark Twain
Tags: food, new-orleans
Like  Likes:  98

Eating is an agricultural act.
Wendell Berry, What Are People for Essays By Wendell B
Tags: agriculture, food, politics
Like  Likes:  94

Man is the only animal that can remain on friendly terms with the victims he intends to eat until he eats them.
Samuel Butler, The Note Books of Samuel Butler
Tags: carnivore, carnivorous, food, meat
Like  Likes:  78

Someone who eats pancakes and jam can't be so awfully dangerous. You can talk to him.
Tove Jansson, Finn Family Moomintroll (The Moomins, #3)
Tags: food, pancakes

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 14-4-2019 08:05 AM | Show all posts

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives.     

Oscar Wilde

People want honest, flavourful food, not some show-off meal that takes days to prepare.

Ted Allen

You don't need a silver fork to eat good food.

Paul Prudhomme

The secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside.

Mark Twain

There is no sincerer love than the love of food.

George Bernard Shaw

If you really want to make a friend, go to someone's house and eat with him - the people who give you their food give you their heart.

Cesar Chavez

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT
Follow Us

ADVERTISEMENT

Mobile|Archiver|Mobile*default|About Us|CariDotMy

11-5-2024 01:22 AM GMT+8 , Processed in 0.415143 second(s), 44 queries .