12Next
Return to list New
View: 8861|Reply: 29

A Big No... No To Unconventional Kavadis

[Copy link]
Post time 16-1-2014 10:45 AM | Show all posts |Read mode
Source: Malaysian Digest

Man U kavadi spotted in Batu Caves last year. Pic : google.com

ANTICIPATION is running high among the Hindus as Thaipusam is just hours away. For most people, whenever Thaipusam is mentioned the image of Hindu devotees swarming Batu Caves while carrying a Kavadi (a carrier made of wood or metal and is attached with chains, spears or hooks) immediately comes to mind.
But did you know that there is a big concern among the Hindus in welcoming tomorrow’s big event?
It turns out that there are new ‘models’ of Kavadi that do not adhere to the real concept of Thaipusam and this is worrying for some Hindus. We speak to local Hindu practitioners on what they think of the issue.

OF STYLE AND DEVOTION
Traditionally, a Kavadi should have with it Lord Murugan’s (Hindu deity) image as a symbol of devotion towards him.  The number of spears, hooks and chains attached to it depends on the devotee’s vow.
The more vows fulfilled, the bigger the number or spears, hooks and chains are used and vice versa.Kavadi is performed to lessen bad karmas and in certain situations as a form of redemption.
But today, there are some who try to‘re-invent’ their Kavadi by giving it their own personal touch. Among the new ‘styles’ of Kavadi emerging this year include those with political and football club logos. Some of the Hindus we interviewed in Kuala Lumpur told us that there are Kavadis with DAP logo as well as Kavadis with Manchester United symbol. There are also Kavadis with pictures of movie stars on it and photos of fruits decorating the holy equipment.
As much as this may sound entertaining to some, the truth is, such Kavadi isn’t appropriate for religious events like Thaipusam. Butterworth’s Sivan Temple committee’s chairman C.Padmanathan strongly believes so.
The 57 years old was informed by his peers about the creation of these inappropriate Kavadi. To him, it is a total mockery to the very meaning of Thaipusam, which is to celebrate Lord Murugan, one of Hindu’s famous deities.
“These Kavadis are definitely not allowed to enter the temples. Devotees who plan to carry these ‘unreligious’ Kavadis do not respect the occasion and the act is uncalled for,” he said adding that Thaipusam procession normally starts from a designated temple of choice and ends at Batu Caves.
“This is a religious event and the Hindus celebrating it have to take it seriously.”
Sujintheren Singh, 30, agreed with Padmanathan’s view.
“First of all, people must understand the real sense of Thaipusam and why we carry the Kavadi. I think this football-inspired Kavadis are pointless and not funny. Maybe the people who choose to carry such Kavadi crave for people’s attention,” the banker said.

Crowd in Batu Caves last year. Pic : google.com

Other items banned from the temple tomorrow include alcohol, Satai (whip), red powder, more than three feet long cheek spear and cigar as well as revealing clothes.
THE REAL DEAL
A person carries a Kavadi as a way to thank Lord Murugan for fulfilling his wish. In Hinduism, Lord Murugan represents virtue, youth and power and he is the destroyer of evil.
The Hindus also believe that Lord Muragan is the universal giver of favours. Hence, many who make vows and pledges to him show their gratitude by going through sacrificial self-mortification on Thaipusam day................................................

Baca artikel penuh: http://malaysiandigest.com/front ... tional-kavadis.html

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 16-1-2014 12:55 PM | Show all posts
adik manis
adi manis mau join itu kavedi ka??

Use magic Report

Post time 20-1-2014 11:05 AM | Show all posts
I went to Batu Caves this year (I will upload any pictures I have, mostly took videos). I didn't see any weird kavadis this time around. Maybe there were some in the morning, but I doubt it. Most of the kavadis looks very traditional and devotees had brought milk pots as well.

I guess youngsters have understood that the purpose of carrying kavadis is for spiritual purpose and not to show off (like carrying Man U kavadis). It defeats the purpose of carrying kavadis if your intention of doing so was anything but to please Lord Murugan.

Use magic Report

Post time 28-1-2014 12:23 PM | Show all posts
the carrying of kavadi is not part hindusim....now too many corruption in hindusim

if one  need to reach GOD....the key word is humble not torturing our physical body...

Use magic Report

Post time 30-1-2014 08:06 AM | Show all posts
Truth.8 posted on 28-1-2014 12:23 PM
the carrying of kavadi is not part hindusim....now too many corruption in hindusim

if one  need t ...

A Snake is talking about being humble.

Use magic Report

Post time 5-2-2014 02:30 PM | Show all posts
Senselessly torturing the elements in their body and also Me who dwell within the body; know these ignorant persons to be of demonic nature. (Bhagavad Gita 17.06) Last edited by Truth.8 on 5-2-2014 06:38 PM

Use magic Report

Follow Us
Post time 13-2-2014 03:31 PM | Show all posts
Do not compare activities of religion using only 1 scripture... it is varies according to the aagamam that follows... respectively. Look into Skanda Puranam for Kavadi rules and regulations and tatva of it.

Use magic Report

Post time 14-2-2014 09:49 AM | Show all posts
kirhmuru posted on 13-2-2014 03:31 PM
Do not compare activities of religion using only 1 scripture... it is varies according to the aagama ...

What are you doing entertaining him further? I have reported him and it is clear that he is insulting Hinduism with his nonsense. What is your action going to be?

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 14-2-2014 10:15 AM | Show all posts
Sephiroth posted on 14-2-2014 09:49 AM
What are you doing entertaining him further? I have reported him and it is clear that he is insult ...

yes peoples have faith with demi gods and believed god drink samsu feels hurts because such believed is not according to scriputres..

Use magic Report

Post time 14-2-2014 03:21 PM | Show all posts
Truth.8 posted on 14-2-2014 10:15 AM
yes peoples have faith with demi gods and believed god drink samsu feels hurts because such believ ...

Shut up, Snake. If I want to listen to your garbage, I could ask you.

Use magic Report

Post time 15-2-2014 10:15 AM | Show all posts
Sephiroth posted on 14-2-2014 03:21 PM

Is my freedom of speech to share my views and is  your choice not to listen... simple as that... of course for demi god worshipper they do not like to listen the truth because they live dark side......if u think my writings has bitter and sour...than you go  to your crap topic " sephiroth llittle corner to post your gargage and rubbished over there...simple as that... Last edited by Truth.8 on 16-2-2014 07:29 PM

Use magic Report

Post time 28-4-2014 10:39 PM | Show all posts
Truth.8 posted on 15-2-2014 10:15 AM
Is my freedom of speech to share my views and is  your choice not to listen... simple as that... ...

Pls understand that... in Hinduisme v r following varies kind of scriptures and Agamas... thr is so many kind of aagamam to be followed. One follows vegetarianism, non vege, no god concept even allowed, and so many more to be explained. So, do not judge by seeing appearance. It is needed to have intellectual mind to go deep into it to understand Hinduisme to its core.

Use magic Report

Post time 29-4-2014 08:43 AM | Show all posts
by Khirmuru

It is needed to have intellectual mind to go deep into it to understand Hinduisme to its core.  

Don't talk about intelligent to Truth.8.

Why was this column left unattended for very long time? I have send several reports against Truth.8 and his nonsense here.

Use magic Report

Post time 8-5-2014 10:35 AM | Show all posts
Sephiroth posted on 29-4-2014 08:43 AM
by Khirmuru

nonsense? how can that be when I have  forward a proof accordingly to hindu  scriptures???

Use magic Report

Post time 8-5-2014 11:49 AM | Show all posts
Truth.8 posted on 8-5-2014 10:36 AM
it was your book claimed that poking object is not part of the faith...if you go against it...than ...

That is our business. What do you care?

Use magic Report

Post time 8-5-2014 12:08 PM | Show all posts
Sephiroth posted on 8-5-2014 11:49 AM
That is our business. What do you care?

than you should not question about my faith or others in rsf because is their business....so?

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 8-5-2014 01:00 PM | Show all posts
Truth.8 posted on 8-5-2014 12:08 PM
than you should not question about my faith or others in rsf because is their business....so?

You are in Hinduism Column making noise. I or any other Hindus do not come to Christian or Islam column and make noise like you are doing here. Go and practise what you preach first before you come and make demands.

Use magic Report

Post time 8-5-2014 04:07 PM | Show all posts
Hinduism is an umbrella term and refers more to the geographical situation... It housed the religions, cults, beliefs, ideologies and philosophies of Indian subcontinent. It refers more to the religion of the people from Indian sub-continent. This term is not even mentioned in Vedic agamas. We refer to the kitab suci as agamas. It does not specifically mean a "religion" like in Malay. We refer to our religion as Sanatan Dharm (Bhagavata Puran). It means the ancient, permanent and basic way of life that never change by courses of time. Sanatan dharm is "generally" the religion of kitab suci but not a collective term for religions of Indian subcontinent.

Thus, Buddhism could be a philosophy and a religion of the subcontinent. It is Hinduism but classified as non-canonical. Jainism is Hinduism. But not part of the Vedic religion. Even Sikhism is Hinduism, but non-Vedic. They are not part of Brahmanism, but there could also be some small minority of Brahmins who follow these religions or sages who started these new way of perceiving the life and world around.

There are various schools of thoughts or cults such as Brahmanism, Shaivism, Vaishnavism... There were historical figures such as Bhagvan Krishna, Bhagvan Buddha, or Bhagvan Mahavir. Through the courses of time too, cults and folk religions emerged by region since Indian subcontinent is not a new country like today. It was an ancient region with various ethnicity, races and cultures. Some of the cults were given the scriptural basis, some indeed with scriptural basis, some were the result of the understanding and from the discussions of the priests, theologians and etc. There are six proper Hindu philosophies on how people perceive the world such as carvaka (materialism), samkhya yog (empirical), nyaya (logic), mimamsa (vedic interpretation or exegesis), ajivika (fatalists), vedanta and etc.

Last edited by vikramavardhana on 8-5-2014 04:17 PM

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Post time 16-5-2014 10:34 AM | Show all posts
Sephiroth posted on 8-5-2014 01:00 PM
You are in Hinduism Column making noise. I or any other Hindus do not come to Christian or Islam c ...

is not making noise but fact...if you feels it noise...than you  do not need to read

Use magic Report

Post time 16-5-2014 10:34 AM | Show all posts
vikramavardhana posted on 8-5-2014 04:07 PM
Hinduism is an umbrella term and refers more to the geographical situation... It housed the religion ...

so all those poking object is cult??

Use magic Report

12Next
Return to list New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

ADVERTISEMENT

Forum Hot Topic

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT
Follow Us

ADVERTISEMENT

Mobile|Archiver|Mobile*default|About Us|CARI Infonet

5-5-2024 02:55 AM GMT+8 , Processed in 0.061515 second(s), 47 queries .