CARI Infonet

Forgot password?
 Register

ADVERTISEMENT

View: 4492|Reply: 15

Thank you for your son's heart

[Copy link]
Post time 18-12-2013 10:20 PM | Show all posts |Read mode
Thank you for your son's heart: Last Christmas this boy was dying for want of a donor heart... then this man's son was killed in a car crash. Now, in a truly incredible encounter they've me

Ever since 21-year-old Will Pope received a heart transplant last New Year’s Eve, he has wondered about the person who gave him the precious gift of life.
Sitting in the garden reading a book with the sun on his face, enjoying the simple pleasure of being alive, Will would think of his anonymous donor and feel overwhelmed with gratitude.
Will knew neither the age, nor the gender of the donor. He knew nothing of his or her background, or the circumstances in which this person had died.
Scroll down for video

Shared bond: Transplant patient Will Pope, 21, comes face to face with Steve Ince, the father of his heart donor - 20-year-old Tom

Touching: In a remarkable and emotional meeting, Will was able to shake the hand of his donor¿s father and find out about the man to whom he shall always be indebted

With someone else’s heart beating in his body, his joy was tempered by intense sorrow for the donor’s grieving family. He knew that his second chance had come at an incalculable emotional cost for them.
I was aware that someone had to die for me to live, which was difficult to accept,’ says Will, a second-year university student. ‘But I reasoned that it was perhaps the only positive thing to come out of someone’s death.’
Will, who first suffered heart failure aged 16, never thought he would find out who the person who saved his life was, or meet their family to thank them personally. But two weeks ago, in a remarkable and emotional meeting, Will was able to shake the hand of his donor’s father and find out about the man to whom he shall always be indebted.

The donor, Will learned, was 20-year-old Tom Ince, who in many ways was just like him before a car crash last December 30 tragically cut his life short. Tom, an apprentice electrical engineer from the outskirts of Bristol, suffered catastrophic head injuries when he lost control of his car in torrential rain, crashing into a tree. His devastated parents, Steve and Sue, knew their son was on the organ donor register, but had to make the agonising decision whether to honour his wishes after being told by doctors that Tom was only being kept alive by life-support machines.
‘It would have been easier, if I am honest, to say no,’ admits Steve, 48, a window cleaner and whose wife, 47, is a director of a coach company.
‘It would have been much easier to say, “No, leave him alone, he’s been through enough. I don’t want you to touch him.”

Tender moment: Steve says that seeing Will has helped 'lift him from the rut of grief'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2525514/Thank-sons-donor-heart.html#ixzz2npuSTKqZ
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Last edited by mulutcomel on 18-12-2013 10:24 PM

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Author| Post time 18-12-2013 10:21 PM | Show all posts
But that wasn’t Tom’s wish. That was just me as a father trying to protect him, but if we had wavered, there would be people who wouldn’t be alive today.’

Steve says that seeing Will has helped ‘lift him from the rut of grief’.
He contacted Will through Facebook in July after reading about his recovery in the Daily Mail and realising — given the dates of Tom’s death and Will’s operation — that he must be the recipient of Tom’s heart.
Twelve months ago, the Mail told of Will’s brave and sometimes desperate struggle for survival as he waited for a donor on the urgent heart  transplant list.
Inspired by his story, the Mail launched its Organ Donor Campaign, highlighting a chronic shortage of registered donors in Britain.
One in five people on the heart transplant list dies before they can be given a new organ.
Will, who is studying classical civilisation at Bristol University, was one of the lucky ones. But it’s only now that the full story behind his recovery can be told.

Steve says it was ‘curiosity’ that led him to contact Will, as well as a wish to see the living proof that ‘Tom’s death was not a total waste’.
But he adds: ‘It was a very difficult email to write — “I am the father of the donor of the heart you received”.’
Will recalls: ‘I was really surprised to receive the email because I assumed the donor family would find it too upsetting to make contact.

Discovery: Steve contacted Will after reading about his recovery in the Daily Mail and realising - given the dates of Tom's death and Will¿s operation - that he must be the recipient of Tom's heart

Sorrow: Will knew that his second chance had come at an incalculable emotional cost for Tom's family

What touched me was when Steve told me: “I want to thank you because you have made my son’s last wish come true.” I replied thanking them for their incredible selflessness.
‘And after that we began communicating quite regularly. And I was able to say thank you from the bottom of my heart.’
Then, earlier this month, the two men not only decided to meet for the first time but, remarkably, agreed for the meeting to be filmed in the hope of encouraging more people to sign up to become organ donors.
This extraordinary and moving encounter — which followed strict NHS guidelines about meetings of this kind — can be seen in an ITV programme, The Greatest Gift: Tonight, to be shown tomorrow.
Donor families are not usually encouraged to make contact with the recipient of their loved one’s organs, as it can be psychologically distressing for both sides and requires huge reserves of strength and bravery.
Before the meeting, both Will and Steve spoke to a psychologist to prepare them for all the conflicting emotions they might experience.
[url=]
Will Pope features on charity single titled WILLPOWER

[/url]

The gift of life: Steve with his son Tom, who suffered catastrophic head injuries when he lost control of his car in torrential rain, crashing into a tree

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2525514/Thank-sons-donor-heart.html#ixzz2npuc24hD
Last edited by mulutcomel on 18-12-2013 10:26 PM

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 18-12-2013 10:27 PM | Show all posts
It was agreed that they would meet alone, except for the presence of two remote control cameras. Afterwards, both families came together and talked for two hours.
Speaking to the psychologist helped me to concentrate on what I wanted to say and helped me stay calm,’ says Will, who met Steve in a hotel in Bath.
‘I wanted to tell Steve that what his family did shows that humans are inherently good, because in his moment of loss he was able to do what his son wanted.’
I wanted to tell Steve that what his family did shows that humans are inherently good'
So what happened in this extraordinary meeting?
Steve was sitting alone in the room when Will knocked and entered. Steve stood up to shake Will’s hand, beckoning him to sit down with the words: ‘It’s really good to see you.’
Steve tentatively asked: ‘So, what’s it like to wake up in the morning and be able to walk out the door?’
Will replied: ‘It’s amazing. I can’t begin to express just how amazing it is what you have done.’
‘It wasn’t us really,’ said Steve. ‘It was Tom. So, on his behalf,  you’re welcome.’

Then Will took a deep breath and said: ‘I feel like I owe it to Tom and to you, and to everyone who has felt his loss, to kind of earn that gift.’
Steve lent over and took Will’s hand. ‘I feel like it couldn’t have gone to a better person. I feel privileged that it is you. Strange to think that a part of Tom is in you and he is helping you to survive.’
]Finally, Will said: ‘I have been told that I didn’t have long left. I saw a couple of close friends recently and they saw me the day before Christmas [last year] and they said how difficult that was, and how scared they were because it just didn’t seem like I would make it. And you’re a great man for doing this. Really that is what I want to say.’
[url=]
Boy dying for want of a donor heart, emotional appeal Nov 2012

[/url]

Serious: Will Pope in November last year, when he was gravely ill and his only hope was a heart transplant

Thank you,’ said Steve. Then the two men hugged, their profound bond sealed for ever.
]Without the selflessness of Tom Ince and his parents who — despite their own grief — supported their son’s wishes, this story could have ended very differently.
Will’s heart failure is believed to have been caused by a virus that attacked the heart muscle. He underwent major heart surgery at Harefield Hospital in North-West London and a mechanical pump known as an LVAD (left ventricular assist device) was installed.
Along with drug therapy, it was hoped that Will might recover with the help of the LVAD which, powered by batteries, does the work of the left ventricle.
]His condition, however, deteriorated dramatically and this time last year he was weeks away from death. In the words of his consultant, Will was ‘heading for a cliff’ and his only hope was a heart transplant.
Every option, including a series of operations to install heart pumps, had failed. Unable to breathe by himself, he was fitted with a tracheostomy — a tube inserted into the windpipe — which was connected to a ventilator.
[size=1.4em]'If we had wavered, there would be people who wouldn’t be alive today'

Christmas Day last year was spent in intensive care, surrounded by his parents Rosie, a 55-year-old media lawyer, father Philip, 57, a composer, and younger brothers Matt and Guy, now aged 18 and 15.
]As they prayed for a miracle but prepared for the worst, some 100 miles away, Tom’s parents were about to enter their own nightmare.
Steve and Sue were woken at 3am by the knock on the door that every parent dreads.
‘It was the police to say that Tom had been in an accident,’ says Steve.
‘I think the first question I asked was, “Is he alive?” When they said yes, I thought that we could deal with whatever else had happened.’
Tom was a happy, active young man. He had been a chorister, cub and scout — but his main passion was kayaking.
Before leaving home that evening to visit friends, Tom had eaten supper and changed into clean clothes before calling out: ‘Bye Dad, I am going now.’ ‘All right Tom, see you tomorrow,’ Steve replied — but his son never made it home.
In torrential rain, Tom’s car spun out of control, before hurtling into a tree. He was taken to the Royal United Hospital in Bath with appalling head injuries.  
When his parents arrived at the hospital in the early hours of New Year’s Eve, a consultant told them that Tom’s condition was far worse than they had first thought.
The consultant said Tom had a less than 1 per cent chance of surviving. Steve and Sue were taken to see their son, who was unconscious, his head wounds covered with a bandage.
‘We said hello to him and held his hand and asked him to wake up. Of course he didn’t,’ recalls Steve.

Recovery: Will left intensive care towards the end of January and was finally discharged from hospital on March 12. Returning to the family home in Buckinghamshire, feeling 'normal' again was, he said, the best thing that had ever happened to him

The consultant asked me if Tom was an organ donor and I instantly had the flashback of when he told me that he was. His words were: “By the way, Dad, I am an organ donor.” ’  
With their son clinically dead and his life support about to be switched off, Steve and Sue — who also have an 18-year-old daughter, Francesca — were asked to make a series of heartbreaking decisions.
Which organs would they allow  the surgeons to remove from  Tom’s body?
‘They go down the road of asking you what organs you would like to give your authority to be used,’ says Steve. ‘And it is literally a tick list — starting with “Do you want the heart to go? Lungs?” It is almost as if you are agreeing to let your loved one go for every tick in the box.’
Tom’s heart was a match for Will and at around 4am on December  31, doctors told him he was to undergo a transplant. The 12-hour operation was far from problem-free, with two teams of surgeons battling to stem the bleeding.
Just five days on, there was another setback when Will suffered a cardiac arrest. Amazingly, he survived and, three weeks later, began the slow road to recovery. Will left intensive care towards the end of January and was finally discharged from hospital on March 12.
Returning to the family home in Buckinghamshire, feeling ‘normal’ again was, he said, the best thing that had ever happened to him.
His mother Rosie said it was ‘the best gift anyone can possibly give to another person.’
'I am so happy the meeting happened and feel much better for it, and I hope Steve and Sue feel the same way'

Will says he had no idea that his donor’s family would be reading the Mail’s coverage of him, or indeed might want to meet him. He admits there have been times when it has been difficult to come to terms with all that’s happened.
What really affected me was when I went on Tom’s memorial page and saw that he came from Bristol, where I had been at university until I became ill. He seemed quite similar to me and that was hard to handle.’
Today, Will has resumed his studies. He is in good health, taking exercise and enjoying being back in a band, playing guitar and singing.
He takes immunosuppressant medication and steroids every day to prevent his body from rejecting his new heart.
‘I feel completely normal and it’s wonderful to be back at university, sharing a house with friends,’ he says. But he will never forget the remarkable gift of life Tom gave to him or the meeting with Steve.
It was tough, but it was also cathartic at the same time,’ says Will. ‘I don’t know if we will meet in the future, but I am certainly open for any contact if that is what Steve and his family would like. I am so happy the meeting happened and feel much better for it, and I hope Steve and Sue feel the same way.’
Rosie adds: ‘What they have been through is so painful. For us, life is moving on but for them the agony continues. It was extraordinarily brave of them to meet us, and I just hope some sort of positive has come out of this terrible negative. They are remarkable people.’
At one point, Rosie commented about how she hoped Will would live up to the gift he has been given. Steve replied: ‘Will doesn’t have to live up to anything — he just has to live.’
  • Since Will’s story first appeared in the Mail, tens of thousands of people have signed up to the organ donor register. If you would like to join it, go to organdonation.nhs.uk or call 0300 123 2323. To get involved in Will’s campaign, visit willpope.co.uk. The Greatest Gift: Tonight is on ITV tomorrow at 7.30pm.

Read more:

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2525514/Thank-sons-donor-heart.html#ixzz2npw5OEFh
Last edited by mulutcomel on 18-12-2013 10:30 PM

Rate

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Author| Post time 18-12-2013 10:32 PM | Show all posts
akibat copy paste hodoh bukan main wording2 nye.. btw citenye sedih

Use magic Report

Post time 19-12-2013 03:05 AM | Show all posts
humanity restored

Use magic Report

Post time 19-12-2013 07:41 AM | Show all posts
aku tengok pic nye je

Use magic Report

Follow Us
Post time 19-12-2013 08:27 AM | Show all posts
sedihnya history dia..hemmm

Use magic Report

Post time 19-12-2013 08:28 AM | Show all posts
bkn dirahsiakan ke siapa penderma organ ni?

aku dh register, korang dah?

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Post time 19-12-2013 08:58 AM | Show all posts
walaupun pening baca, tapi story ni memang menyedihkan...
teringin nak derma organ.. tapi x de keberanian ..

Use magic Report

Post time 19-12-2013 09:03 AM | Show all posts
baca every single word...

Use magic Report

Post time 19-12-2013 10:03 AM | Show all posts
citer ni sangat tacingggg

Use magic Report

Post time 19-12-2013 10:13 AM | Show all posts
sedih....ensem late tom...

Use magic Report

Post time 19-12-2013 10:28 AM | Show all posts
kagumnya dengan orang-orang yang berhati mulia ni sanggup dermakan organ mereka pada orang2 yang sakit...

Use magic Report

Post time 19-12-2013 10:44 AM | Show all posts
baiknya hati...........

Use magic Report

Post time 24-12-2013 05:39 PM | Show all posts
Sedih gak citernya

Use magic Report

Post time 26-12-2013 03:59 PM | Show all posts
touched..

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT
Follow Us

ADVERTISEMENT

Mobile|Archiver|Mobile*default|About Us|CARI Infonet

25-4-2024 09:49 PM GMT+8 , Processed in 0.141340 second(s), 50 queries .