CARI Infonet

Forgot password?
 Register

ADVERTISEMENT

View: 3116|Reply: 2

Merdeka! Malaysia! Amnesia?

[Copy link]
Post time 31-8-2007 07:54 PM | Show all posts |Read mode
I was blog surfing when I came across an eloquent statement by my friend I-Lann from Sabah at Datuk Paduka Marina's blog. I called her up immediately and asked permission to put it here. Lest we forget...

"Please know that I have deep respect for Merdeka 1957 and value its great importance to us as Malaysians. What upsets me is the Happy 50th BIRTHDAY Malaysia as if 'Malaysia' came about in 1957 which it just plainly did not. It (again) diminishes Sabah and Sarawak as some unimportant backwater after thought which perhaps they are to most West Malaysians but not to an East Malaysian. This is our country too. I think West Malaysians sometimes forget that.

"Everything that happened prior to the formation of Malaysia is vitally important but nonetheless Malaysia was born, came to be, came into existence in 1963. It is NOT a technicality la Marina. Malaysia's birthday is on Sept 16th 1963 and she is just short of her 44th birthday.

"Incidently, 31st August is our Merdeka Day too when we got our independence from the British but this was in 1963. Sabah was an independent country unto itself for 16 days before JOINING TOGETHER with Sarawak, Singapore and Malaya to BECOME Malaysia. Sabahans (and yes I can easily generalize this cause it is a VERY common sentiment) take offense when we are made to feel like an adopted child thats not quite in the family.

"In relation to Sabah, between '57 & '63 there was much negotiating between Tunku Abdul Rahman, Tun Mustapha, Tun Fuad Stephens and the Council of Native Chiefs . This also involved U Thant who represented the UN (yes thats where U Thant the road in Ampang got its name). Again those I ask in KL dont know the significance of U Thant.

"If I remember correctly Tunku Abdul Rahman first visited Sabah in 1959 but it wasn't until 1961 that he suggested a confederation of British North Borneo, Brunei, Sarawak, Singapore and the Federation of Malaya to join together and become Malaysia. There was initially resistance by the 3 Borneo states but it was the British stand of allowing a 'quicker' independence if the states were to agree which became a major influence.

"The British set up the famous Cobbold Commission to assess the people's opinion. This is where it got complicated. The Philippines and Indonesia with territorial claims to Sabah objected. This was the beginning and the cause and the reason for Konfrontasi. This is also when U Thant representing the UN stepped in at the Philippines and Indonesia's request and they set up an independent referendum.

"The result of this was that Sabah & Sarawak agreed to the formation of Malaysia but Brunei did not. Both states however set up 'caveats' clauses. Thats why we have state constitutions that are not (suppose to be) under Federal Government. Most of these involve native rights - protecting native title, land, native religions, language, adat etc. Timber was also under the clause. Thats why all timber industries in Sabah are under state government not Federal. And to protect the interests of Sabahans, West Malaysians had to apply to work and live in Sabah to ensure the more advanced Malays would not supercede the largely rural natives in their own land and (VERY importantly) - not seen as colonisers!..

"The whole issue of Konfrontasi was about Brunei, Sabah & Sarawak aligning themselves with Malaya to become Malaysia.

see wikipedia/Indonesia-Malaysia_confrontation.

"We don't know our history plain and simple. History is always the greatest lesson. 8TV can start by stop saying Happy 50th Birthday Malaysia! and instead say Happy 50th Merdeka may your minds and bodies be free!

"I've just got back from Merdeka Eve celebrations at Dataran. I was SO HAPPY to see that ALL the Kerajaan banners I saw said '50 TAHUN KEMERDEKAAN 1957 - 2007'. Phewww! I think I would've mengamok if they said Happy 50th BIRTHDAY!"

I-Lann's eloquence resonates with my very thoughts.

Comments?

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Author| Post time 1-9-2007 02:20 AM | Show all posts
If you are a Malaysian and proud to be one, know your history and the facts. Don't be led like a herd of sheep to believe propaganda that says otherwise. The Federated States of Malaya may have gotten her independence 50 years ago today, but Malaysia as a sovereign NATION is 44 years old, and her birthday is on the 16th of September. Sejarah, bukan propaganda.

Use magic Report

Post time 3-9-2007 02:11 PM | Show all posts
Emm, Mr Vern .... bila kitak mauk pulang Sarawak tuk?

Dah lamak diam di KL nun, sikda ati mauk pulang situk kah?

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT
Follow Us

ADVERTISEMENT

Mobile|Archiver|Mobile*default|About Us|CARI Infonet

20-4-2024 11:29 PM GMT+8 , Processed in 0.059442 second(s), 29 queries .