View: 3407|Reply: 1

Repay RM30 billion now

[Copy link]
Post time 19-7-2006 05:27 PM | Show all posts |Read mode
Anwar names those responsible for forex losses
Arfa'eza A Aziz
Jul 19, 06 12:39pm

http://www.malaysiakini.com/news/54097

Former deputy prime minister and Parti Keadilan Rakyat adviser Anwar Ibrahim has revealed the key players who went behind then Bank Negara governor - the late Jaffar Hussein - to make foreign exchange (forex) speculations resulting in losses of up to RM30 billion between 1992 and 1994.

Describing the entire episode as his "worst experience" in government, Anwar claimed that former premier Dr Mahathir Mohamad was in cahoots with former finance minister Daim Zainuddin and Second Finance Minister Nor Mohamed Yakcop to cause the losses which have not been recovered by Bank Negara until today.

?t was Nor Mohamad and Mahathir and Daim! That was the time I just came in (as finance minister). But I trusted Jaffar who did not know about it until I asked. He genuinely thought that it was a small amount,? he said in a two-hour interview last week at malaysiakini? office in Bangsar Utama.

Use magic Report

ADVERTISEMENT

Author| Post time 22-7-2006 02:02 AM | Show all posts

Q&A: Yes, I could have done more

Finally, when Dr Mahathir had the chance, he brought back Nor Mohamed (as economic adviser) because clearly they were in league (together). You are talking about a person who cost the country 10, 15, 20 billion ringgit of real losses and yet you (Abdullah) promoted him as (second) finance minister. Yes, we were good friends but we are talking about protecting the interests of the country.

http://www.malaysiakini.com/news/54106

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT
Follow Us

ADVERTISEMENT

Mobile|Archiver|Mobile*default|About Us|CARI Infonet

29-3-2024 07:58 AM GMT+8 , Processed in 0.054050 second(s), 28 queries .