Truth.8 Publish time 30-7-2015 07:24 PM

Is drinking alcoholic beverages a sin?

Edited by Truth.8 at 30-7-2015 07:27 PM

The Bible clearly teaches that drinking too much alcohol is sin. But is alcohol itself a sin?
                                                No, drinking alcoholic beverages is not in itself a sin. The Bible teaches that it's the misuse of alcohol that is a sin Romans 13:13 Galatians 5:21 1 Peter 4:3. Abuse of alcohol causes untold harm to the abuser, his or her family and society. And drunkenness can keep a person out of the Kingdom of God Galatians 5:21.
          However, the Bible teaches that there is a moderate use of wine. One of the most telling scriptures on the subject is Judges 9:13, which says that wine “cheers both God and men.” Psalm 104 presents alcohol use in a positive light: “And wine that makes glad the heart of man” (verse 15). It's also noteworthy that Christ's first public miracle was turning water into a fine quality wine (John 2).
          Christ instructed Christians to take wine as part of the Passover service 1 Corinthians 11:25-26. In the context of this instruction, Paul corrected some of the Corinthian Church for getting drunk at the Passover 1 Corinthians 11:21. Clearly, they were using fermented wine in the observance of the Passover, or it would not have been possible for them to become inebriated.
          Of course, people with an inherent proclivity toward alcoholism should not use alcohol, even in moderation. Those under the legal drinking age should obey the law, and no one should feel compelled to drink on social occasions. But most people can learn to avoid the abuses so prevalent in society today and can properly use alcoholic beverages in moderation if they desire.

Some people say that drinking alcoholic beverages is not a sin, but that the overuse is what the Scriptures condemn. I have consistently opposed the consumption of alcohol either in small or large amounts. What are the Biblical standards?
Is any amount of alcohol a sin to consume?

Truth.8 Publish time 30-7-2015 07:30 PM

Is any amount of alcohol a sin to consume?

Both wine and beer are drinks that contain alcohol. The act of drinking too much wine (drunkenness) is continually condemned in God's Word while wine in itself is spoken of as a good thing when used responsibly in moderation. The same principle may be applied to beer and stronger alcoholic drinks.

The apostle Paul told Timothy to drink a little wine for medicinal purposes (1 Timothy 5:23). Also it is obvious from several scriptures in the Old Testament that wine moderately consumed on the proper occasions during God's festivals has our Creator's blessing (Deuteronomy 14:26).

Jesus Christ's first recorded miracle was turning water into wine at a wedding celebration in Cana (John 2:1-11). Christ never sinned, and He would not create something that was a sin in itself. The use of a little wine in the annual observance of the New Testament Passover is clear from the instructions Christ left for His followers (Matthew 26:27-29).

In this case it is not the substance itself (alcoholic drink) that is a sin, it is the wrong use of the thing. Proper application of God's Word is very important. We are to “rightly divide” or correctly comprehend God's truths (2 Timothy 2:15).

The Creator wants us to exercise character by rightly using the minds He gave us in applying biblical principles to specific situations. For instance, if a person is an alcoholic or a recovering alcoholic, almost all counselors would advise him or her not to drink alcoholic substances. Also if we know we are going to be driving our cars afterwards, it is wise to abstain at social occasions to safeguard our own lives and those of others.

God wants us to build His character into our lives by exercising righteous judgment. Some things are intrinsically wrong in themselves and others are not. Alcoholic drinks are a blessing from God if used rightly in the appropriate circumstances (Psalms 104:14-15).

On the other hand, the wrong use of alcoholic substances that results in drunkenness is a sin against God. It has caused untold misery and countless premature deaths. The apostle Paul wrote: “Do not give way to drunkenness and the ruin that goes with it” (Ephesians 5:18, Revised English Bible).But the moderate, sensible use of alcohol is perfectly acceptable and nowhere condemned in the Bible.

Of course, if one chooses not to consume alcoholic beverages, this is certainly his individual prerogative. There is no biblical requirement that he do so (other than in the proper observance of the annual Passover service).

Truth.8 Publish time 13-1-2016 12:40 PM

re-cap....up

Sephiroth Publish time 18-1-2016 10:02 AM

The Bible clearly teaches that drinking too much alcohol is sin.

How much is too much? {:1_550:}

Is it too much if one drinks, get into an argument where he does something stupid?
Is it too much if one drinks and drive and end up killing others on the road?
Is it too much is one drinks, become drunk and return home to abuse his wife and children?
Is it too much if some get drunk and sleep by the road side or make ruckus in a neighbor?

Which is too much according to your Bible because all the above mentioned is happening today, daily due to alcohol consumption.

Sephiroth Publish time 18-1-2016 11:57 AM

Christ never sinned, and He would not create something that was a sin in itself.

Your god is not a doctor. IF he was, he could have never turned wine from water, instead could have taught his followers to drink water.

Source : http://iml.jou.ufl.edu/projects/fall05/garcia/body.html

If consumed moderately, alcohol can lower a person's chances of having a heart attack, ischemic (clot-caused) stroke, or other forms of cardiovascular disease. This effect is found in both men and women.

Alcohol raises levels of the "good" cholesterol, HDL, which provides protection against heart disease.In addition, moderate drinkers (as opposed to non-drinkers or heavy drinkers), are more likely to be at a healthy weight, get 7 to 8 hours of sleep at night and exercise regularly, according to a 1985 national health interview survey.

This is SHORT term benefit of drinking alcholol. Also, I like to state that red wine also increase blood flow, which makes it easier for women to be arouse sexually.

Now, what are the long term effects?

There is a very long list of diseases and disorders associated with heavy drinking, and a few of them are:

seizures
stroke
hemorrhaging
hypertension
cardiac disorders
alcoholic hepatitis
stomach, oral, breast, liver, and colon cancer
anemia
bone marrow suppression
ulcers
pancreatitis
osteoporosis
sexual dysfunction
sleep apnea
liver damage

The abuse of alcohol, even short-term through binge drinking, is associated with serious risks and dangers.

Personally, I do not drink alcohol of any form. It inhibit my ability to "look" into people's thoughts, which I use silently in my daily life. Even my best friend of 20 years do not know that I can look into their hearts and souls and knows exactly what they are feeling. :loveliness:

Truth.8 Publish time 18-1-2016 01:53 PM

Sephiroth replied at 18-1-2016 11:57 AM
Your god is not a doctor. IF he was, he could have never turned wine from water, instead could h ...

Personally, I do not drink alcohol of any form. It inhibit my ability to "look" into people's thoughts, which I use silently in my daily life. Even my best friend of 20 years do not know that I can look into their hearts and souls and knows exactly what they are feeling. http://mforum.cari.com.my/static/image/smiley/default/loveliness.gifmoderate is the key words....
now, how you explain when you sick need to take 'ubat batuk' contains alcohol? pls explain

Sephiroth Publish time 18-1-2016 05:02 PM

Truth.8 replied at 18-1-2016 01:53 PM
moderate is the key words....
now, how you explain when you sick need to take 'ubat batuk' cont ...

Which is better? Moderate is better or not drinking at all better? I say better don't drink at all.
Question remains - How much is too much? How much is moderate? Are you going to go around and measure how much a person should drink? Riddiculos fool.
It is best to teach them not to drink at all.

Equalizing alcholol and medicine is a very poor excuse. Medicine is taken when people are sick and have no choice but to take medicine. And there are many home remedies which has no alcholol and still effective. Labelling alcholol like Wine as medicine shows just how corrupted your mindset is.

Truth.8 Publish time 18-1-2016 07:17 PM

Sephiroth replied at 18-1-2016 05:02 PM
Which is better? Moderate is better or not drinking at all better? I say better don't drink at all ...

my mum use to take moderate tonic for strenght which contains alcohol.....I sometime take wine in very moderate but very seldom...it has some kind medicines value....so u should try taking it in very moderate not mis used it

Sephiroth Publish time 18-1-2016 08:33 PM

Truth.8 replied at 18-1-2016 07:17 PM
my mum use to take moderate tonic for strenght which contains alcohol.....I sometime take wine in...

Are you a doctor? Is your mother a doctor? For all I know, you both could be drunkards who don't know the meaning of moderation.

In today's technology and wide-spread holistic medicine, alcholol is a thing of a past. One do not need to drink alcholol at all as medicine as there are plenty of better medicine out there. It is YOUR FAULT for not exploring it properly. Instead, you kept using medicine as an excuse for your drunkard attitude. Your attitude is no different from a drug addict or a drunkard who blames the whole world for his habit.

Truth.8 Publish time 19-1-2016 11:08 AM

Sephiroth replied at 18-1-2016 08:33 PM
Are you a doctor? Is your mother a doctor? For all I know, you both could be drunkards who don't k ...

Are you a doctor? Is your mother a doctor? For all I know, you both could be drunkards who don't know the meaning of moderation.
My mum takes tonic everytime she tired...she don't behave like those worshipped God that drink samsu...and followers behave like one...

In today's technology and wide-spread holistic medicine, alcholol is a thing of a past. One do not need to drink alcholol at all as medicine as there are plenty of better medicine out there. It is YOUR FAULT for not exploring it properly. Instead, you kept using medicine as an excuse for your drunkard attitude. Your attitude is no different from a drug addict or a drunkard who blames the whole world for his habit.
thats because you living under coconut shell...take little wine...it cheer up your life...trust me....little I am mean not like samsu drinkiggod followers{:childlikeo

Sephiroth Publish time 19-1-2016 01:15 PM

by Snake.8

My mum takes tonic everytime she tired...
Which bar does she frequent? {:1_550:}

thats because you living under coconut shell...take little wine...it cheer up your life...

My life is cheerful enough. Matter a fact, I'm wishing for a more dull existence. A quiet place to sit and finish reading my book, less work, less idiots to disturb me and more time for myself and my thought. I don't need to drink some piss called Wine for that.

Sephiroth Publish time 22-1-2016 12:59 PM

What does Bible say about alcholol? Let's see :-

Source : http://www.bibleinfo.com/en/questions/does-bible-condone-moderate-drinking-alcohol

In the Old Testament, Aaron and his sons, the priests, were strictly forbidden to drink either wine or strong drink when they went into the tabernacle to minister before the Lord (see Leviticus 10:9). Nazarites were likewise forbidden to use wine while under their vow (see Numbers 6:1-3, 20; Judges 13:4-7). The Rechabites lived as noteworthy examples of permanent abstinence from wine, adhering strictly to the command of their ancestor, Jonadab, to refrain from it (see Jeremiah 35:1-8, 14). The Bible book of Proverbs is filled with warnings against indulging in wine and strong drink (see Proverbs 20:1; 21:17; 23:29-35; 31:4). Wine mocks those who use it (see Proverbs 20:1) and rewards them with woe, sorrow, strife, and wounds without cause (see Proverbs 23:29, 30). “In the end it bites like a snake and poisons like a viper” (verse 32, NIV). The prophet Isaiah declared, “Woe to those who are heroes at drinking wine and champions at mixing drinks” (Isaiah 5:22, NIV). Daniel and his companions set a worthy example by refusing to drink the king’s wine (see Daniel 1:5-16). When fasting later in life, Daniel abstained from wine (see Daniel 10:3).

In the New Testament, the usual word for wine, whether alcoholic or non-alcoholic, isοινος (oinos). Jesus likened His revolutionary teaching to new wine, which would burst the old bottles of tradition (Matthew 9:17). Paul warned believers against drunkenness (Ephesians 5:18), and declares that deacons should not be "addicted to much wine" (1 Timothy 3:8).

So many verses in the Bible which forbids Christians from consuming alcholol or at least end up in state of drunkness. And what does someone like Snake.8 does - throws away all these argument against alcholol by stating Jesus pissed wine in a wedding celebration so that means Christians can drink that piss. IDIOTS. :shakehead3:

And snake ... this is for your momma :-
He counseled Titus that the older women should not be "slaves to drink" (Titus 2:3).

Truth.8 Publish time 22-1-2016 04:07 PM

Sephiroth replied at 19-1-2016 01:15 PM
by Snake.8

Which bar does she frequent?she took little tonic to boost her enegry...not bar..unlike your mother might going budget hotel after the marketing.... once she back home, she cook nice rasam, sambar curry for the kids to eat....thinking mother is wonderful....i understand her feelings...husband seldom around...because his   work as lorry driver...{:3_82:}

My life is cheerful enough. Matter a fact, I'm wishing for a more dull existence. A quiet place to sit and finish reading my book, less work, less idiots to disturb me and more time for myself and my thought. I don't need to drink some piss called Wine for that.if you life is wonderful, why spending times here all the time? i guess my lonely life {:3_99:}

Truth.8 Publish time 22-1-2016 04:09 PM

Sephiroth replied at 22-1-2016 12:59 PM
What does Bible say about alcholol? Let's see :-

Source : http://www.bibleinfo.com/en/questions/d ...

I   take little wine and it make me good......not druncked like the muniandy followers...

Sephiroth Publish time 22-1-2016 05:42 PM

by snake.8

she took little tonic to boost her enegry...
Your momma is a drunkard, a$$hole. And that is a fact.

if you life is wonderful, why spending times here all the time?
Go and examine your own pathetic existence before asking others about their lives.

I   take little wine and it make me good......
Yes, that is why every drunkard on the Planet drinks - because alcholol makes the drinker feel good.

Know this - YOU WILL NEVER REACH GOD - for your blood is poison, your temple (body) is in ruin, your Spirit is corrupted and your Mind is in turmoil. And that is why you are miserable.

Truth.8 Publish time 22-1-2016 06:27 PM

Sephiroth replied at 22-1-2016 05:42 PM
by snake.8

Your momma is a drunkard, a$$hole. And that is a fact.
my mum dont behave like samsu drinking followers...because the contain of acholo is minium...

Go and examine your own pathetic existence before asking others about their lives.
myexistence here for one purpose: TRUTH. your existence here : LONELY----DESPARATE...PATHETIC...{:laugho

Yes, that is why every drunkard on the Planet drinks - because alcholol makes the drinker feel good. jESUStook wine but He behave wise...

Know this - YOU WILL NEVER REACH GOD - for your blood is poison, your temple (body) is in ruin, your Spirit is corrupted and your Mind is in turmoil. And that is why you are miserable. that is your own assumption....I am blessed...the universe bless me and now         the forum all in one....the corrupt mind is u{:1_571:}

Sephiroth Publish time 24-1-2016 12:00 PM

by Snake.8

my mum dont behave like samsu drinking followers...because the contain of acholo is minium..
Whahahaha, a drunkard is making an excuse again. Alcholol is SIN. There is no matter of how much alcholol exists in a drink.

myexistence here for one purpose: TRUTH
You would't know truth even if it comes down and slap you and your mother across the face.

jESUStook wine but He behave wise...
Your Jesus is a fairy tale character. He doesn't exist. And that is FACT.

....I am blessed...
Keep dreaming your little drunkard dream. {:1_550:}

Truth.8 Publish time 25-1-2016 11:27 AM

Sephiroth replied at 24-1-2016 12:00 PM
by Snake.8

hahahaha, a drunkard is making an excuse again. Alcholol is SIN. There is no matter of how much alcholol exists in a drink.
No, drinking alcoholic beverages is not in itself a sin...link : http://www.ucg.org/bible-study-tools/bible-questions-and-answers/is-drinking-alcoholic-beverages-a-sin

You would't know truth even if it comes down and slap you and your mother across the face.
Truth live in me the day the universe was created....Amen{:1_545:}

Your Jesus is a fairy tale character. He doesn't exist. And that is FACT.
The factis   Christians faith is growing....            

Keep dreaming your little drunkard dream. http://mforum.cari.com.my/static/image/smiley/default/icon_rolleyes.gif

dream and reality is differnt thing...I live in reality

Sephiroth Publish time 25-1-2016 12:55 PM

by Snake.8

No, drinking alcoholic beverages is not in itself a sin..

I have highlighted passages in the Bible (Post #12) and like ALL drunkards, you totally disregard those information and create your own excuse. Just like a Roman Christian. Stupidity to the end. No wonder the Christians are damned in this life and the next. {:1_541:}

Truth live in me the day the universe was created....
Someone labelling himself as a god (wannabee). {:1_567:}
ONLY think living in you are worms.

The factis   Christians faith is growing....      
Christianity is a DEAD religion. After that, it will be Islam's turn.

Truth.8 Publish time 25-1-2016 02:57 PM

Edited by Truth.8 at 25-1-2016 04:42 PM

Sephiroth replied at 25-1-2016 12:55 PM

I have highlighted passages in the Bible (Post #12) and like ALL drunkards, you totally disregard those information and create your own excuse. Just like a Roman Christian. Stupidity to the end. No wonder the Christians are damned in this life and the next. http://mforum.cari.com.my/static/image/smiley/default/mad0216.gif

so drinking moderate wine which containsalcohol wrong you says? how do u explained indians use kas2 in curry ? kas2 kind 'dadah' ....please explain
and why muniandy followers consume alchohol and goes in trance.....
I dont go in trance if taken wine in moderate ...

Pages: [1] 2
View full version: Is drinking alcoholic beverages a sin?

ADVERTISEMENT