obelisk Publish time 16-3-2015 10:46 AM

Denied temple access, Dalit converts to Islam

Denied temple access, Dalit converts to Islam

http://www.thehindu.com/multimedia/dynamic/02340/dalit_2340650f.jpg
Shyam Singh and his community were told by the priest that they could not perform puja at the Baghpat Valmiki temple. Photo: Shivam Agarwal

A month ago, he called himself Shyam Singh. Now he declares himself “Azad” (liberated). The symbolic name not only sums up his situation, but is also his new identity.

Shyam, a member of the Dalit Valmiki community in Moga village of Meerut, converted to Islam two weeks ago.

A landless labourer, he didn’t convert only because the community was denied access to a prominent Valmiki temple, located in nearby Baghpat district, to perform the traditional puja.

He changed his faith also because of the “continuous threats and harassment” he and his fellow community members had to face from the local law and order officials after he persisted with his demand to have the right to perform puja at the temple.

The temple is controlled by the dominant Yadav community, and the priests had problems with the Valmikis performing puja. After their efforts to get equal rights failed, they announced that they would convert to Islam. Last week, the Meerut administration booked Shyam and his family for “disturbing peace and communal harmony” by persisting with their demand to perform puja at the temple and the announcement about converting to Islam.

In November last year, Shyam and his community members were told by the priest that they didn’t have any rights to perform puja.

‘What is the point in being a Hindu if I can’t enter a temple’

Since November last year, Shyam has petitioned the District Magistrates of Baghpat and Meerut, and the National Commission for Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes. He also petitioned the Prime Minister’s Office.

“What is the point in being a Hindu and having this sacred thread around my wrist if I can’t even enter a temple and perform puja,” he argued.

While Shyam has converted to Islam, his fellow Valmikis, numbering over 100, are scared and don’t want to raise the issue. They are thinking of migrating to some other part of the State to escape official harassment.

Shyam himself now plans to migrate to Nepal.

Interestingly, the announcement of the conversion plan by Shyam and his fellow Dalits provoked immediate attention from right-wing Hindu outfits, which requested them not to convert.

“All of them wanted us not to convert to Islam, but none of them want us to get equal status among Hindus. This is how we have historically and traditionally been cheated,” said Shyam.

Sub-Divisional Magistrate, Baghpat, Rajendar Singh told The Hindu that the Valmikis were denied permission to perform the elaborate puja in their own style as it was a “new” religious tradition. --thehindu.com

Sephiroth Publish time 16-3-2015 11:32 AM

Edited by Sephiroth at 16-3-2015 11:37 AM

‘What is the point in being a Hindu if I can’t enter a temple’
Which Idiot told him that you must enter a temple in order to be a Hindu? Why? He cannot find God outside the temple?

God's temple is in the Heart of Each person - that is what Hinduism teaches its followers. A hindu do not have to go to temple or perform any special puja. All he has to do is live his life properly accordance to Laws of Karma. Instead, this joker go and become an Arab wannabee. {:1_550:}
Sub-Divisional Magistrate, Baghpat, Rajendar Singh told The Hindu that the Valmikis were denied permission to perform the elaborate puja in their own style as it was a “new” religious tradition. --thehindu.comWhich means what they wanted to do was not accordance to Vedic customs and method. They should go and find learned priests and study the Vedas properly on how to perform proper puja instead of creating their own and expect the mainstream society to accept them blindly, especially if their methods are wrong (or mixed with other belief system which could be dangerous).

Reminds me of the situation we had here in Malaysia last Thaipusam festival (February). A lot of people complained that the temple authorities (in Batu Caves) were unfair for not allowing them to certain items within the temple grounds (like cigar and alcholol). The temple administrators had their reasons - they didn't want any social problems due to drunkards and wanted to maintain a proper setting for all members of the society. While Hindus here were upset (due to this restrictions), I don't see any of them converting to Islam because of it.
Pages: [1]
View full version: Denied temple access, Dalit converts to Islam

ADVERTISEMENT