obelisk Publish time 14-3-2015 07:43 PM

US Professor of Comparative Religion Finds Islam

US Professor of Comparative Religion Finds Islam

http://www.onislam.net/english/oimedia/onislamen/images/mainimages/James-Frankel2.jpg
James D. Frankel

wSFVR_Pa2Lk

My name is James Frankel. I’ll be talking a little bit to you about my experience of coming to Islam.

I’m speaking to you now from Honolulu, Hawaii, and it’s September 2010.

I’m a professor of comparative religion. I teach classes of Islam also at the University of Hawaii. I’ve been living in Hawaii now for just over 2 years and I’m just entering my third year.

Some brothers asked me if I could speak about my experiences so hopefully insha’Allah I could do this today and I hope this will be helpful to anybody. May Allah give us all hidayah.

The Early Years

I came to Hawaii 2 years ago, and before that I lived in New York city where I was born and raised. I was born in 1969 and grew up in Manhattan, part of the time in Brooklyn for a few years in my life. For the most part, I had a very happy family life.

My parents raised me not with any particular religion but I think with basic set of moral values. Actually, by heritage I have a Jewish background, but I grew up in a very secular household where there wasn’t a lot of religious practices.

The only connection I ever had with a religion was from my father’s side, my grandmother who was a practicing Jew. It’s from her that I learned a few things, bible stories, stories of the prophets.

For a brief period my parents actually attempted to send me to a Hebrew school to learn more but I was not very comfortable there and actually got kicked out for asking too many questions, so this is probably my character that brought me to where I’m today. As a professor and as a Muslim, I continued to ask a lot of questions.

So, I grew up in this way without any religious foundation. This continued through my life and my late teens. I had actually 2 experiences that are worth mentioning. One, at the age of 13, I read the communist manifesto of Karl Marx and decided that I was a communist. I thought the values were sound and thought the philosophy was potentially beneficial to people.

Also at that time, I suppose this might be one of the earliest exposures to Islam that I can remember, my best friend at that time was from Pakistan. I went to an international school so I had friends from all over the world. My Pakistani friend gave me a copy of the Quran and he wanted me to read it. He said “I don’t want you to go to Hell”. Of course at this period of my life thoughts of hell were not really in my consciousness.I think I took the book and put it on my shelf and there it stayed for many years without being opened.

A couple of years later I think I became quite disillusioned about communism as I learned more about the way that communism is actually practiced in many countries of the world and so I gave up the philosophy as well. It really wasn’t until I entered university that I began to ask the questions that will lead me directly onto this path. I think as a child I was always thoughtful and I always wondered about the meaning of life.

Those basic questions about why we are here, where we are going and why we suffer, all of these things were always present in my mind even when I was a child. But as I got older and when I went to university, I focused a lot more on my studies until I had a particular experience...

Sephiroth Publish time 16-3-2015 08:59 AM

One, at the age of 13, I read the communist manifesto of Karl Marx and decided that I was a communist.

A couple of years later I think I became quite disillusioned about communism as I learned more about the way that communism is actually practiced in many countries of the world and so I gave up the philosophy as well.

This fellow gives up too easily and expecting people to hand him answers on a silver platter. Riddiculos, childish and immature. He may look old but he is still a child who is incapable of making his own decision without others' input and gives up without trying harder to make it work. I bet his social life is similar - a loner with no serious relationship as he could probably give up on making the relationship work.
Pages: [1]
View full version: US Professor of Comparative Religion Finds Islam

ADVERTISEMENT