Buddhitakso Publish time 19-6-2013 11:07 AM

What is Enlightenment?

Enlightenment means a complete realisation of emptiness, a stage of perfect intermediation, a stage of absence, and a cessation of suffering in the dependent nature.

Suffering means to ‘bear with.’To ‘let go’ is the antonym of it.When no grasping arises, the becoming process would slow down.This is because everything in the dependent nature is nothing but energy.Energy is nothing but mere vibration.When the becoming process slows down, it means energy is vibrating at lower frequencies.When the becoming process ceases, energy literally stops vibrating.Energy just got frozen.Zero vibration means zero becoming.Zero becoming means an absolute cessation of any changing processes.Thus an absolute stage of absence is achieved.Absence means a perfect state of balance.Therefore, absence is not about nothingness but instead it is about no-thing-ness.No thing means no becoming or no changing.No changing means no suffering.No suffering means no mind.Mind is the forerunner of all states.No mind means a complete neutralising state of affairs - that is nibbāna.
“One has to gain knowledge first and then apply the understanding and the experience with common sense and insight – that is wisdom.”
“The ‘I’ of I, is not mine.The ‘you’ of you, is not yours.The ‘he’ of he, is not his.The ‘she’ of she, is not hers.The ‘it’ of it, is not its.”
“There is no I am reborn, but just the state of rebirth.There is no I am suffering, but just the state of suffering.There is no I am in trouble, but just the state of troublesome.There is no I am happy, but just the state of happiness.There is no I am enlightened, but just the state of enlightenment.”
“Buddhism is about the sheer determination to pull one’s act together to end the state of suffering.In the Buddhist context, determination is all about the sheer acts to fix the suffering conclusively - right here, right now!One would need to walk the talk steadfastly to end the suffering and not just blowing hot air.Therefore, it is impossible that one could desire for enlightenment because desire is merely the talking, the expecting or the wishing per se but inclining to do nothing.Enlightenment can never be attained by mere building castles in the air.As such, one should say, ‘I am determined to attain enlightenment’, instead of, ‘I desire for enlightenment.’In other words, Buddhism is not about circumstances but attitude to circumstances.”
Buddhitakso
http://www.slideshare.net/buddhitakso/nature-reality-buddhism

Last edited by Buddhitakso on 20-6-2013 08:32 AM

fleurzsa Publish time 25-6-2013 11:22 AM

good information.. carry on

Sephiroth Publish time 16-7-2013 12:21 PM

by Buddhitakso

When the becoming process ceases, energy literally stops vibrating.Energy just got frozen.Zero vibration means zero becoming.Zero becoming means an absolute cessation of any changing processes.Thus an absolute stage of absence is achieved.Absence means a perfect state of balance.

Correction - In the physical World, nothing stops completely.

In Physics, we have something called Zero-point Energy or the lowest level which energy could exist. Scientists have discovered that Hydrogen (the smallest molecule in the Universe with a single atom) cannot freeze completely (which means it will stop moving or vibrating). It will cool down to a specific temperature and then, continue to vibrate and doesn't freeze anymore. This is why the Universe doesn't just freeze itself in the coldest region - there is always energy which vibrates in space.

Therefore, metaphysically speaking - as long as there is consciousness, you and I exist.

Buddhitakso Publish time 17-7-2013 10:05 AM

Sephiroth posted on 16-7-2013 12:21 PM static/image/common/back.gif
by Buddhitakso

A very interesting point here, Sephiroth.Yes, I do concur with you that energy can neither be stationary nor be created nor be destroyed in the scientific sense.But how then could we best describe a scenario of 'frozen' energy here?Let us look at the case of a black hole in the material Universe.Black holes were originally called frozen stars because they appear to 'freeze' at a size just slightly bigger than the Schwarzschild radius - the distance at which all matter within that distance will collapse into the singularity.Around the black hole, there is a surface called event horizon that marks the point of no return.Any objects that fall and cross the event horizon would appear to freeze from the perspective of an observer who is stationary at great distance from the event horizon.Just as in Einstein’s special theory of relativity, if you were to enter a black hole, you would find your watch ticking along at the same rate as it always had but someone else at great distance from the black hole would see a different ticking rate on your watch than the usual, and you would see their watch to be ticking at a different than normal rate.   

For instance, if you were to station yourself just outside a black hole, while you would find your own watch ticking at the normal rate, you would see the watch of a friend at great distance from the hole to be ticking at a much faster rate than yours.Your friend would see his own watch ticking at a normal rate, but see your watch to be ticking at a much slower rate.Thus if you stayed just outside the black hole for a while, then went back to join your friend, you would find that the friend had aged more than you had during your separation.At the end of the day, if you were to cross into the event horizon, you appear to freeze, as seen by your friend and it is only an ‘optical’ illusion that makes your friend think that you never cross the horizon when in actual fact you did.

Once again, when one talks about energy, one talks about vibration.And energy can never be stationary at any point of time but it can appear to freeze under a special circumstance described as above.In other words, when there are opposing forces, there would be vibration.In the absence of opposing forces, vibration would cease to exist i.e. it is considered to be blown-off but not annihilated. This means in the absence of vibration, energy would still exist but it seems to freeze due to homologous force arising.

In the Buddhist context, there are two opposing forces arising in the dependent nature i.e. the force of Awakening (an inward tendency force) and the force of Ignorance (an outward tendency force).For an ignorant being, during a disintegration process, the prevailing conscious aggregate or so-called the ‘chain of conscious’ aggregate would die out and the force of Ignorance would overcome the force of Awakening.The subtle conscious aggregate would then liberate into fragments.The amount of liberated fragments is very much dependent on the level of Ignorance or Awakening within the being.And for an ignorant being, the level of Ignorance would surpass the level of Awakening and this would mean the intensity of Ignorance is higher than the intensity of Awakening.A higher intensity of Ignorance would mean a higher intensity of becoming.A higher intensity of becoming would mean a higher amount of liberated fragments.On the other hand, for a fully awakened being, the force of Ignorance would be blown-off completely.The remaining force of Awakening i.e. an inward tendency force would conquest in full scale and thus conjuring up a circumstance named as the black hole of emptiness i.e. the eternal bliss of nibbāna. Last edited by Buddhitakso on 17-7-2013 02:35 PM

Sephiroth Publish time 18-7-2013 10:51 AM

by Buddhitakso

Let us look at the case of a black hole in the material Universe.Black holes were originally called frozen stars because they appear to 'freeze' at a size just slightly bigger than the Schwarzschild radius - the distance at which all matter within that distance will collapse into the singularity.Around the black hole, there is a surface called event horizon that marks the point of no return.Any objects that fall and cross the event horizon would appear to freeze from the perspective of an observer who is stationary at great distance from the event horizon.

Actually, that is a misconception.

Many scientists believe that it is the black hole which creating the Event Horizon where objects seems to freeze for eternity. It is not. It is the Event horizon which actually feeding the Black hole its momentum. In the Universe, there is a speed limit for all things. The fastest an atom can travel is at speed of light (roughly 186,000 KM per second). This is fixed constant in the Universe. Therefore, when objects falls into a black hole, the hole cannot take everything so the matter is circulate around the hole till it can be swallowed. This creates those circulate formation we detect around black holes.

Why is object seems to freeze then? Simple, if you fall into a black hole, your atoms will be shredded so fast, you won't feel anything. It will move at speed of light and come back to exact position every time. This will create an illusion that time had froze when what it happening is that, you are moving at speed of light and returning to the exact position (as your atoms did seconds ago) every second. Therefore, time is not frozen in an event horizon, it is just speed forward so fast, you cannot see the difference.

Just as in Einstein’s special theory of relativity, if you were to enter a black hole, ...

Another misconception. He wasn't talking about entering the Black hole, he was talking about conversing a wormhole. Black holes and worm holes are different. Worm hole is a hole which punctures reality at one spot in the universe, allows matter to travel faster than speed of light and reappear in another hole somewhere else. Black hole is a hole that appears in a tear in fabric of the Universe and its shreds matter and distribute the energy back into the Hyperspace where the Universe resides. Worm hole = a tunnel through a mountain while Black hole = a shredder.

In the Buddhist context, there are two opposing forces arising in the dependent nature i.e. the force of Awakening (an inward tendency force) and the force of Ignorance (an outward tendency force).

I have one question - IF a monk wishes to be achieve enlightenment, does it means that he has desires (to be enlightened)? Is such desire an awakening force or an ignorant force?

In my opinion, if a monk desires Enlightenment, that by itself equals to a ignorant force that he could ignore the World and choose to find his own happiness. If that is the case, how is a Buddhist monk any different from a Muslims or Christians who seeks Heaven through their religion?Think about it. {:1_539:}

Buddhitakso Publish time 19-7-2013 09:55 AM

Sephiroth posted on 18-7-2013 10:51 AM static/image/common/back.gif
by Buddhitakso

Thanks, Sephiroth, for your kind explanation on the black hole thing.Frankly speaking, I don’t quite get what the misconception is about on the ‘appear to freeze’ concept.'Appear to freeze' is not equivalent to ‘freeze for eternity.’ 'Appear to freeze' is merely an optical illusion as mentioned earlier.                                    On your argument about the second misconception, my write-up did not argue on Einstein’s talking about either entering a black hole or a worm hole.I have just taken a simile case scenario i.e. Einstein’s special theory of relativity.
Lastly, on a monk’s desire for Enlightenment, as mentioned on my write-up earlier, desire is a mere intention of building castles in the air.   Enlightenment can never be achieved through desire. If a monk tells someone that he wishes or desires for Enlightenment, then it an ignorant force arising.Until the monk realises later and tells someone that he is determined to attain Enlightenment, then it an awakening force arising.

Last edited by Buddhitakso on 19-7-2013 09:58 AM

Sephiroth Publish time 19-7-2013 10:22 AM

by Buddhitakso

Thanks, Sephiroth, for your kind explanation on the black hole thing.Frankly speaking, I don’t quite get what the misconception is about on the ‘appear to freeze’ concept.'Appear to freeze' is not equivalent to ‘freeze for eternity.’ 'Appear to freeze' is merely an optical illusion as mentioned earlier.

Yes, you are correct. "Appear to freeze" is an optical illusion. Their atoms move at speed of light in a circular motion that when they make full rotations, the one who is not moving will observe them as standing still, frozen in time.

Take a coke bottle and fill half of it with water, tie it to a rope and have someone spin it over your head (careful not to hit). At first, the water in the bottle will move around at random, but as the speed increase, it will compress to the bottom of the bottle the same way you could have if you leave it standing on a table. This creates an illusion that the water is not moving, when the truth is, the air pressure on the bottle push the water down to the bottom and keep it there. The water is moving, but you don't see it because of the pressure.

For the second part, I guess I could accept that.

If a monk tells someone that he wishes or desires for Enlightenment, then it an ignorant force arising.Until the monk realises later and tells someone that he is determined to attain Enlightenment, then it an awakening force arising.

You are trying to create a difference where there is none. It does not matter whether the Monk uses the word "Desires" or "Determined". Desire is Desire - and if a Monk meditates and performs spiritual training with Enlightenment in Mind, that by itself can be considered as Desire (to achieve something). Therefore, logically speaking, one cannot achieve Enlightenment by having desires.

Buddhitakso Publish time 19-7-2013 12:54 PM

Yes, I do agree it is rather tricky to define these words clearly for the case of Enlightenment.Perhaps, one could replace the word 'Enlightenment' with 'Wisdom.'

If one is wise, then one is wise.There can never be a desire to be wise.Likewise, if one is stupid, then one is stupid.There can never be a desire to be stupid.

Sephiroth Publish time 19-7-2013 02:08 PM

Buddhitakso posted on 19-7-2013 12:54 PM static/image/common/back.gif
Yes, I do agree it is rather tricky to define these words clearly for the case of Enlightenment.Pe ...

And yet, Wise can lead to Ego.

Is to know all things consider you are Wise?
Or to accept that you know nothing is considered to be Wise? :C

Buddhitakso Publish time 19-7-2013 03:17 PM

Sephiroth posted on 19-7-2013 02:08 PM static/image/common/back.gif
And yet, Wise can lead to Ego.

Is to know all things consider you are Wise?

No, I hope you don't get me wrong on saying enlightenment is equivalent to wisdom.I am just applying a simile comparison whereby there is no way to desire for enlightenment, just the same as, there is no way to desire for wisdom or stupidity.In fact, wisdom is the after-effect of enlightenment, if one may say so.

While enlightenment is about realisation, wisdom is about applying it into one's daily perspectives and decision making, wholesomely.As again, one has to gain knowledge first and then apply the understanding and the experience with common sense and insight - that is wisdom.Meanwhile, stupidity is about knowing the truth, seeing the truth, but still believing the untruth. :)

Sephiroth Publish time 22-7-2013 11:08 AM

by Buddhitakso

I am just applying a simile comparison whereby there is no way to desire for enlightenment, just the same as, there is no way to desire for wisdom or stupidity.In fact, wisdom is the after-effect of enlightenment, if one may say so.

If there is no way to desire for enlightenment or Wisdom, then why commit spiritual acts and practice?

It is obvious that not everyone can become enlightened, or we all could become enlightened. So what is the criteria of a person who can become enlightened over the cause of time?

Stupidity is not natural born "talent". One cannot choose to become stupid. One only choose to be ignorant. I have met many people who are highly educated but behave very ignorant and I have also met many uneducated people but wise beyond their years.

Meanwhile, stupidity is about knowing the truth, seeing the truth, but still believing the untruth.

People often believe in things which will make them comfortable. Many buy big houses with tall walls and gate to be secure, without even realizing that they are living inside a jail. Many drive big cars, wear expensive jewelry or clothing and work 10 yrs a day just to pay for them without knowing that they are slaves to their own materialistic lifestyle.

People believe what they want as long as it makes them comfortable, as they are incapable of adapting to the "scary" world outside. It scares them so much, that they "build" their own World around them like prisoners within their own mind.

Buddhitakso Publish time 22-7-2013 03:28 PM

Sephiroth posted on 22-7-2013 11:08 AM static/image/common/back.gif
by Buddhitakso

As again, enlightenment and wisdom start with one's resolute determination and not one's strong desire.If you want to gain enlightenment and wisdom, you'll need to walk the talk and not talk the walk - that's the difference between determination and desire. :sweat3:

Sephiroth Publish time 23-7-2013 10:02 AM

Buddhitakso posted on 22-7-2013 03:28 PM static/image/common/back.gif
As again, enlightenment and wisdom start with one's resolute determination and not one's strong de ...

I don't see a difference between determination and desire. How can one differentiate between them? A Monk can say he is determined to achieve Enlightnment and unknowingly, change that into desire to seek Enlightnment so much, that he refuses everything Worldly (including compassion and mercy toward other less fortunate souls). It is a very thin line between determination and desire.

Buddhitakso Publish time 23-7-2013 04:52 PM

Sephiroth posted on 23-7-2013 10:02 AM static/image/common/back.gif
I don't see a difference between determination and desire. How can one differentiate between them? ...

As I have mentioned earlier, it is rather tricky to differentiate these words for any ordinary persons.In fact, there is no absolute condition in every thing or circumstance that arises.Just like, the yin-yang concept - each contains the seed of the other, which is why we see a black spot of Yin in the white Yang and vice versa.Likewise, a saint can turn into a devil and a devil can turn into a saint merely by a moment of thought.So, in one moment, a monk harbours the thought of wishing or desiring for enlightenment, then it is an ignorant force arising.   And on the very next moment, he realises and inculcates a resolute determination to attain enlightenment, then it is an awakening force arising.

Sephiroth Publish time 24-7-2013 09:45 AM

Buddhitakso posted on 23-7-2013 04:52 PM static/image/common/back.gif
As I have mentioned earlier, it is rather tricky to differentiate these words for any ordinary per ...

If you say that Determination and Desire intermingles within a person like Yin and Yang, one containing seeds of another and vice versa, then I think I will accept. However, you have still did not answer one simple question - Why does Spirituality practise required? Why does one have to leave his family and the World and become monk in order to obtain Enlightment if that is even possible?

In my humble opinion, IF one do not need to leave the World to achieve Enlightment. One just need to have determination (seed) and self-discipline to stop oneself from doing evil things, do not marry (or risk engaging in more worldly experience) and continue to work within the society for its benefits without wearing monks' robe or shaving one's head. In my opinion, if one is following a Monk's lifestyle to achieve Enlightnment simply because they are mimicking Gautama Buddha, then that is Ignorant by itself. Gautama Buddha took up monk's lifestyle because he was a prince (required to rule which includes committing warfare) and he has family. He has a reason to denounce the World. But if people start to denounce the World with desire to achieve Enlightnment, it is no different than committing suicide. Then what is the use of you then, even if you have become a Buddha?

Buddhitakso Publish time 24-7-2013 03:49 PM

Sephiroth posted on 24-7-2013 09:45 AM static/image/common/back.gif
If you say that Determination and Desire intermingles within a person like Yin and Yang, one conta ...

I appreciate much of your well and thoughtful comments as above.Frankly speaking, renouncing the material world is one’s personal choice and willingness with a primary aim of training, calming and developing one’s mind into the highest state of purity.In Buddhism, there is no holy or sinful act or thought except for skillful or unskillful one.Skillful would mean seeing things in a wholesome manner or in totality of perspective and unskillful would mean seeing things in an unwholesome manner or in non-totality of perspective.As again, Buddhism is not about circumstances but attitude to circumstances.Therefore, if one possesses a right attitude to attain enlightenment, then it does not matter much if there is a need for the worldly renouncement or otherwise.Moreover, the Buddha is merely a title just like presidency.Presidents may come and go over the years in an organisation or a country but the presidency remains unshaken.
And Buddhism believes in, literally, nothing.Buddhism merely involves in seeing, knowing and letting go of things or happenings. In other words, Buddhism upholds direct experience and recognition but not the faith system.Perhaps, one has heard the phrase, ‘To see is to believe.’When one is seeing it, one truly sees it.No one could shake it.A blind belief without seeing on things would only bind one with more curiosities and disputes.Middle Path is what the Buddha has strongly recommended for and it is all about focusing on core, neutral, balance and upright.It means to investigate and break through the core of life and all things without any attitudes of favouritism.Any investigations must commence based on unbiased grounds i.e. on neutral and upright positions.In other words, one needs to investigate the problem from various angles, analyse the findings, understand the truth thoroughly, and find a reasonable conclusion.In addition, the Buddha has never laid commandments that one should think or do this; never think or do that, etc.If one continues to adopt this sort of mentality, one would simply adopt the principle of ‘blind faith’ which is much on the contrary to Buddhism.Just like it would be wholesome for parents to expose their children with both the good and the bad influences together.Any acts of depriving the children from exposing to the bad influences would only create distorted view or perception in the real society (unwholesome acts).Subsequently, upon the exposure of both the good and the bad influences, parents could encourage their children to use their wisdom to lead a more meaningful life in the real and complicated society (wholesome acts).
In short, the Buddha has laid emphasis that one should look in all angles of things or matters and then apply one's wisdom in the decision making.The Buddha has merely left behind guidelines for one to pursue with and it would be meaningless for one to read and tag along the contents of the written texts, doctrines or sutras on Buddhism blindly without applying wisdom.No doubt the available scriptures, doctrines or sutras did play important roles in keeping the essence of Buddhism, but how many of the so-called Buddhists nowadays have gained full enlightenment by mere reading or reciting it?The key question is not how good or well one could quote this or that from the scriptures, doctrines or sutras but more on the practicality and the direct experience of it.

Preaching Dhamma is not about quoting this or that from various sources on Buddhism.These available scriptures, doctrines or sutras were merely tools for one’s Dhamma practices.And the tools would remain as the tools and it would not turn a person into an enlightened being if the application is without wisdom.Also, the Buddha has recommended the establishment of the Sangha community so that any followers could interact and support each other while pursuing the guidelines of Dhamma.The Buddha has not established the various sects or schools of Buddhism as what we could see nowadays.Once again, Buddhism is never about beliefs.Instead, it is all about direct experience and recognition.Seeing the Dhamma is seeing the Buddha – it is seeing and knowing the ultimate reality of things and happenings and not to get entangle with it.So the choice in the way of life is yours ultimately.Live a life wholesomely at all times!Be freed, be liberated, be neutralised!
Last edited by Buddhitakso on 24-7-2013 04:01 PM

Sephiroth Publish time 25-7-2013 10:45 AM

by Buddhitakso

Frankly speaking, renouncing the material world is one’s personal choice and willingness with a primary aim of training, calming and developing one’s mind into the highest state of purity.In Buddhism, there is no holy or sinful act or thought except for skillful or unskillful one.Skillful would mean seeing things in a wholesome manner or in totality of perspective and unskillful would mean seeing things in an unwholesome manner or in non-totality of perspective.As again, Buddhism is not about circumstances but attitude to circumstances.Therefore, if one possesses a right attitude to attain enlightenment, then it does not matter much if there is a need for the worldly renouncement or otherwise.

Hmm ... It make sense now. Hard to describe it in words but I think I have a basic understanding. There was this anime a few years ago - Fullmetal Alchemists - Brotherhood. In one episode, the two boys were drop off an island by their teacher and she told them they have to survive there without using Alchemy for 30 days. They also have to understand the meaning for a phrase - "One is All and All is One".

Moreover, the Buddha is merely a title just like presidency.Presidents may come and go over the years in an organisation or a country but the presidency remains unshaken.

I call Gautama Buddha as Teacher, so this make sense as well.

Perhaps, one has heard the phrase, ‘To see is to believe.’When one is seeing it, one truly sees it.No one could shake it.

Unfortunately, seeing is not believing. A few millenniums ago, that could be true since Science and Technology (and knowledge) was not as abundant as it is today. Therefore, if a person sees something and accept it as truth, it could likely to turn out to be false. Furthermore, we have evidence that chemicals and gases could cause hallucinations which weak-minds could interpret as truth, thus leading him astray.

Furthermore, what I see is different from what others see. If I were an ignorant person, I could use my wealth and power to force others to accept what I see as truth, even so it is false. This is how cults and false religions came to be, like Scientology which was based on hallucination of a man named Hubbard.

Subsequently, upon the exposure of both the good and the bad influences, parents could encourage their children to use their wisdom to lead a more meaningful life in the real and complicated society (wholesome acts).

I see a few problems here. First of all, the parents could not be wise enough to know what is good or not themselves. I find this to be true among Chinese especially. Second, parents could have too much attachment and expectations toward their children to the point that they control their children too much. I find this to be true among Indians. And finally, some parents simply don't care about their children at all, which I find it true among Malays.

Seeing the Dhamma is seeing the Buddha – it is seeing and knowing the ultimate reality of things and happenings and not to get entangle with it.
I think I understand this part. Thank you.
Pages: [1]
View full version: What is Enlightenment?

ADVERTISEMENT