din88 Publish time 18-1-2012 02:27 PM

kalau nak open tender cakap, aku nak try jugak
kmkd Post at 18-1-2012 12:48 http://mforum1.cari.com.my/images/common/back.gif

kitorang 'open table' kat Titiwangsa ari tu dh cakap, hang tak datang pon... {:7_433:}

kmkd Publish time 18-1-2012 02:42 PM

din, aku ada hal la time tu. :lol:

oobi Publish time 19-1-2012 12:46 AM

- macam mana konsep virtual server tuh ar...
maksudnya..
- dalam satu server.. tapi boleh di pecah2 kan penyewa hosting...
contohnya
- Contoh:server A..
dalam server A ada hosting utk domainA.com.my,domainB.com, domainC.net..
macam mana dorang buat.. ?? dorang pakai software atau tool apa eh??? boleh kongsi ka...
alam. Post at 18-1-2012 11:06 http://forum.cari.com.my/images/common/back.gif

the concept is similar to share web hosting. for machine virtualization, you can have multiple virtual systems hosted by a physical system (or clusters of physical system). this is much more powerful because the virtual system is just like physical system (you can do anything you want - build a dns server, dhcp, active directory, database, web, file, print, etc - just like physical system) but much easier to maintain.

basically, you have a powerful system. then, you install virtualization software. launch the software and you start configure a virtual system (including your choice of operating system). once done, it's ready to go, just like physical system. i think, you can even virtualize storage area network (SAN) if you want to learn about it.

that's how i have multiple systems on my desktop. if i want to do something crazy or for testing, i'll do it on one of my virtual systems. this way, i don't mess up with my main system, physical machine. and i always make backup copy of the originals so that if my virtual system corrupt, won't boot, etc., i can just pull the backup copy and it's as good as new. no need to run full installation and configuration.

some of the most famous brands are vmware, microsoft hyper-v and xen hypervisor. there are desktop versions also so that you can learn (such as microsoft virtualpc, vmware and sun virtualbox), at least the basic of the virtualization world.

there are tons of information on virtualization on the internet. spend some time to read and research.

oobi Publish time 19-1-2012 01:09 AM

u alone to monitor all this stuff? if u MC atau sakit cammana? sure ada assistant kan atau backup.what software u use for virtualization?i guess maybe citrix or vmware.ada lain2 software yg u guna there?
testas Post at 18-1-2012 11:11 http://forum.cari.com.my/images/common/back.gif

yes, i was the only onsite poc. my real backup was 3 timezones and 3000 miles away. he's my dedicated backup and i was his dedicated backup.

we do however have a central monitoring support (noc) that monitor our networks and systems. they will call us whenever there's any issue.

it's not easy when i was mc, had to go outstation or on vacation. that's why documentation is very important (i always stress this). when i document, i always assume the person who will temporarily cover for me has no knowledge at all about my network and systems. and i always have somebody who i trained and trusted, and can be relied upon when i was not onsite. it's common for people to call me while i was mc, outstation or on vacation to fix any issue, even while i was driving/sleeping. it's really 365/24/7. that's why it's very very stress.

we used vmware for virtualization and citrix for cloud.

u said 100 servers. how many physical server u have there?

about 50-60. in total, we have around 10,000 servers in north america, spreaded around 4 big datacenters and about 20-25 small datacenters.

i used to be system admin job just like u doing. i cover server, virus, backup, firewall, vpn, security. now i move to next phase in my career to programming.
oobi u have experience in database?

no, no programing/coding at all. :L

testas Publish time 19-1-2012 09:39 AM

Reply 64# oobi

if i am project manager from development team and i request for cloud system to host my application, can u create this cloud system from a box?

u said citrix for cloud system, how about database system. i believe u must have database administrator there rite? if i can guess the number of DB admin is more than one..

also may i know ur daily job, is it 80-90% of ur time is completely do jobs, or maybe 40% of ur time is free (if no system down)..
i imagine like u 100% stress at work.

failover in OS server like cluster, do u configure this? also failover in database like dataguard in oracle, u also configure this?
sorry banyak tanya.. i just want to visualize job as system admin at huge company .

oobi Publish time 19-1-2012 10:51 AM

if i am project manager from development team and i request for cloud system to host ...
testas Post at 19-1-2012 09:39 http://forum.cari.com.my/images/common/back.gif

working for a big company with IT group consists of thousands of people, you're more specialize in your field than you're jack of all trades.

even project management has its own group. databases have its own groups. servers have its own group. unix, linux, windows, all have its own groups. active directory, dns, firewall, vpn, router, switch, telecom, all have their own groups. citrix, vmware, patching, software deployment, desktop, antivirus, encryption, also have their own groups.

since my site is not big, about 100-150 users and about 100 servers, i was expected to cover or help with some of the tasks that were not part of my job description.

for example, if we needed to deploy cloud farm at my site as part of the bigger corporate cloud farm, i will work with citrix group to deploy it, from start to finish. the same with vmware, active directory, etc. and yes, i was responsible for installing, configuring, and testing them, and put them into production. the reason i have to work with those groups because: 1. it needs to be part of corporate farm/network/system, 2. we have to follow specific procedure and process as approve by corporate IT senior management, 3. everything must meet corporate wide standard.

sysadmin, we have more than 200 (for windows only). at my site, we have at least 5-6 dbas (sql, oracle and some other db type that i don't remember). the whole company, i don't know how many. these dbas were responsible for installing and supporting the databases. if they needed help, that's when i came in. the same goes with web application, e-commerce, firewall, vpn, etc.

however, for email, dns, dhcp, print, file and everything in the same timezone, that's my responsibility.

honestly, i don't know the percentage of how much time i spent working. when you're working, you don't keep track of time. if you do, then that means you don't like what you're doing. all i remember, when i was assigned to specific division (they moved me around as needed), i did a lot of maintenance, upgrade, migration and streamlining the process. once everything was stabilized, i did a lot more paperworks.

by the way, my job was not only monitoring/maintaining the systems. we also have to work with finance group (IT has its own finance group as part of the corporate finance) and other groups whenever we needed to acquire new system or decom legacy system, work with legal groups on audit, etc. there were meetings we had to attend on weekly basis, report to submit, etc.

if something was failed or had issue, after fixing them, we need to submit a report and close appropriate tickets.

working for small/medium business is much easier because you can make decision on the spot and usually you don't have to go through too many bureaucracies. for big company, every single thing counts. if you need new server, you need to provide justification. wait 2 weeks for approval. 2 more weeks to order. then, 2 more weeks and you get the server. all these provided that there were no issues along the way.

kmkd Publish time 20-1-2012 12:56 AM

humangaih panjang betul oobi ni tulis. kalau ikut semua dia tulis aku nak bagi kredit :lol:
tak pe. dia dah banyak kredit ;P

pengalaman as sysadmin/background ni best. tapi tu la. aku tak banyak pengalaman. ada la sikit2 dan still belajar. coy kecik, so ada tugas yang kene buat luar dari bidang. tapi best sebab learn something new.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
View full version: Tentang Hosting Web yg Besar

ADVERTISEMENT