amazed Publish time 13-9-2009 10:18 PM

Navratri Festival 2009

Navratri

http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/PixIndepend/pix_top_09137
COLOURS GALORE: A young Indian folkdancer rehearsesGarba for the forthcoming Navratri festival Ahmedabad. Navratri festivals starts from September 19, 2009, in which thousands of young and old will participate across Gujarat state. - AFP picture

'Nav' means 'nine' and 'ratri' means 'night'. Thus, 'Navratri' means 'nine nights'. There are many legends attached to the conception of Navratri like all Indian festivals. All of them are related to Goddess Shakti (Hindu Mother Goddess) and her various forms. It is one of the most celebrated festivals of Hindu calendar, it holds special significance for Gujratis and Bengalis and one can see it in the zeal and fervor of the people with which they indulge in the festive activities of the season.

Dandiya and Garba Rass are the highlights of the festival in Gujarat, while farmer sow seeds and thank the Goddess for her blessings and pray for better yield. In older times, Navratri was associated with the fertility of Mother Earth who feed us as her children.

The first three days of Navratri are dedicated to Goddess Durga (Warrior Goddess) dressed in red and mounted on a lion. Her various incarnations - Kumari, Parvati and Kali - are worshipped during these days. They represent the three different classes of womanhood that include the child, the young girl and the mature woman.

Next three days are dedicated to Goddess Lakshmi (Goddess of Wealth and Prosperity), dressed in gold and mounted on an owl and finally, last three are dedicated to Goddess Saraswati (Goddess Of Knowledge), dressed in milky white and mounted on a pure white swan. Sweetmeats are prepared for the celebrations. Children and adults dress up in new bright-colored dresses for the night performances.

In some communities, people undergo rigorous fasts during this season that lasts for the nine days of Navratri. The festival culminates on Mahanavami. On this day, Kanya Puja is performed. Nine young girls representing the nine forms of Goddess Durga are worshiped.

Their feet are washed as a mark of respect for the Goddess and then they are offered new clothes as gifts by the worshiper. This ritual is performed in most parts of the country. With commercialization, the festival has moved on to be a social festival rather than merely a religious one.

However, nothing dampens the spirit of the devout followers of Goddess Durga, as they sing devotional songs and indulge in the celebrations of Navratri, year by year.

Pygmalion Publish time 14-9-2009 01:34 AM

oo first time dengar pasal festival ni..ni kiranya upacara macm pesta menuai and at the same time menyembah dewa-dewi la ni...

Pygmalion Publish time 14-9-2009 01:37 AM

nak tambah sikit:

Navratri, the festival of nights, lasts for 9 days with three days each devoted to worship of Ma Durga, the Goddess of Valor, Ma Lakshmi, the Goddess of Wealth and Ma Saraswati, the Goddess of Knowledge. During the nine days of Navratari, feasting and fasting take precedence over all normal daily activities amongst the Hindus. Evenings give rise to the religious dances in order to worhip Goddess Durga Maa.

1st - 3rd day of Navratri
On the first day of the Navaratras, a small bed of mud is prepared in the puja room of the house and barley seeds are sown on it. On the tenth day, the shoots are about 3 - 5 inches in length. After the puja, these seedlings are pulled out and given to devotees as a blessing from god. These initial days are dedicated to Durga Maa, the Goddess of power and energy. Her various manifestations, Kumari, Parvati and Kali are all worshipped during these days. They represent the three different classes of womanhood that include the child, the young girl and the mature woman.

4th - 6th day of Navratri
During these days, Lakshmi Maa, the Goddess of peace and prosperity is worshipped. On the fifth day which is known as Lalita Panchami, it is traditional, to gather and display all literature available in the house, light a lamp or 'diya' to invoke Saraswati Maa, the Goddess of knowledge and art.

7th - 8th day of Navratri
These final days belong to Saraswati Maa who is worshipped to acquire the spiritual knowledge. This in turn will free us from all earthly bondage. But on the 8th day of this colourful festival, yagna (holy fire) is performed. Ghee (clarified butter), kheer (rice pudding) and sesame seeds form the holy offering to Goddess Durga Maa.

Mahanavami
The festival of Navratri culminates in Mahanavami. On this day Kanya Puja is performed. Nine young girls representing the nine forms of Goddess Durga are worshiped. Their feet are washed as a mark of respect for the Goddess and then they are offered new clothes as gifts by the worshiper. This ritual is performed in most parts of the country.

Sephiroth Publish time 14-9-2009 11:23 AM

A good post. :)

amazed Publish time 7-10-2009 07:05 AM

Kemeriahan Festival Navarathiri

Oleh NIZHA PERIASWAMY

http://www.kosmo.com.my/kosmo/pix/2009/1007/Kosmo/Varia/va_01.1.jpg
ADAT memecahkan kelapa terdapat dalam Festival Navarathiri.

http://www.kosmo.com.my/kosmo/pix/2009/1007/Kosmo/Varia/va_01.2.jpg
WIM VANHOOF

http://www.kosmo.com.my/kosmo/pix/2009/1007/Kosmo/Varia/va_01.3.jpg
AFANG LIU

SELAIN merayakan Thaipusam, penganut agama Hindu juga meraikan festival Navarathiri. Baru-baru ini, Kuil Sri Maha Mariamman di Lebuh Queen, Pulau Pinang mengadakan festival Navarathiri secara besar-besaran.

Festival itu diraikan dengan perarakan kereta berhala, persembahan tarian tradisional yang diiringi muzik dan sketsa. Ia bukan sahaja menjadi pelengkap sambutan tetapi turut mencuri tumpuan pelancong asing.

Selain itu, pengunjung tempatan yang lalu di situ turut berpeluang melihat festival tersebut.

Ramai pengunjung menganggap festival itu adalah sambutan sempena Deepavali yang akan datang dan ada pula menyangkanya aktiviti kuil.
"Saya selalu ingat sambutan ini diadakan menjelang Deepavali," kata seorang penarik beca, Kim Wei Foon, 54.

Dia yang tidak mahu memberi maklumat salah mengenai festival itu kepada pelancong asing yang menaiki becanya, meminta beberapa penganut Hindu menerangkan tujuan festival itu.

"Navarathiri adalah festival Sembilan Malam yang diraikan untuk menghormati Dewi Shakti, Dewi Laxmi dan Dewi Saraswathy.

"Dewi-dewi ini mewakili kuasa kekuatan, kekayaan dan ilmu. Setiap Dewi diperuntukkan tiga hari. Hari terakhir sambutan (hari ke-10) adalah hari ketiga-tiga Dewi bergabung untuk memusnahkan kuasa jahat, Mahisasura.
"Sketsa Dewi membunuh Mahisasura dengan menggunakan anak panah turut dipersembahkan," kata P.Magaenthiran kepada Kosmo!.
Sepasang pelancong dari Hong Kong, Brian Yam dan Afang Liu masing-masing 24 tahun turut mendengar penjelasan itu. Mereka juga teruja melihat adat memecahkan kelapa.

"Ia sangat menarik dan mengasyikkan. Saya mengenali budaya Hindu menerusi program-program dokumentari di televisyen. Hari ini, saya bertuah kerana dapat melihatnya sendiri," kata Brian.

Afang pula teruja melihat warna-warna pakaian tradisional dan cahaya lampu dari kereta berhala.
Bagi empat sekawan dari Belgium yang datang menaiki beca, mereka turut tidak melepaskan peluang mengikuti kereta berhala. Menurut mereka, kedatangan mereka di situ tidak dirancang.

"Kami tidak tahu apa yang sedang berlaku. Kami datang setelah melihat orang ramai dan nyalaan lampu-lampu yang jelas kelihatan dari jauh.

"Ia cukup menyeronokkan khususnya tarian dan permainan muziknya," kata Yasmin Vicken, 25, merujuk kepada tarian tradisional Kolatham yang ditarikan oleh sekumpulan kanak-kanak perempuan. "Apa nama tarian ini? Adakah ia satu kemestian?" soalnya.

Walaupun bukan satu kemestian, tarian, bunyi gendang dan lagu-lagu nyata memeriahkan lagi festival.
Dalam keadaan kurang pasti dengan apa sebenarnya sedang berlangsung, Yasmin tetap menunjukkan minat untuk menonton sketsa tersebut.

Tom Geunes, 26, Wim Vanhoof, 24, dan Sanne Couns, 23, pula berpendapat kepelbagaian budaya dan adat resam di negara ini adalah sesuatu yang menarik dan perlu dipromosikan.

"Kami datang dari jauh untuk melihat budaya dan cara hidup orang di sini. Kami amat berpuas hati dengan apa yang dilihat," kata Wim.

Tambahnya, selain makanan dan bangunan warisan, kekayaan Pulau Pinang terletak pada kepelbagaian budaya penduduknya.

sephiroth....navratrior navarathiri...- both can be used, ek??

amazed Publish time 16-10-2009 12:35 AM

Thursday October 15, 2009Show of local Gujerati cultureStory and photos by ALLISON LAI

MALACCA: The Gujerati community in Malacca concluded their annual Navratri or nine-night celebration here recently just before the beginning of Deepavali festivities.

Some 250 families from this minority community came out in full force to participate in the rituals, including a 10km procession through parts of the historic city with an ox-drawn chariot bearing the goddess Durga.

Held at the Shri Ambaji Temple in Jalan Ujong Pasir, the vibrant event saw devotees offering prayers, fresh fruits, flowers and coconuts amidst shrouding smoke from burning incense.

http://thestar.com.my/archives/2009/10/15/southneast/se_04drums.jpg Graceful: Devotees singing and dancing to the beat of Indian drums as the procession goes by.

Many from the community, irrespective of age, also took part in energetic traditional dances performed at the temple’s main hall during the celebration.

Men dressed in kurtas (Indian attire for males) and women clad in chaniya choli (traditional Gujerati attire) and sarees formed circles and performed the garba dance with painted sticks (dandiya) in their hands, moving to the beat of Indian drums.

Navratri is celebrated during the first nine days of the month of Aso (in the Gujerati calendar), which falls between late September and mid-October in conjunction with the harvest period and the full moon.

http://thestar.com.my/archives/2009/10/15/southneast/se_04prayers.jpg Steady stream: Devotees waiting by the road to offer fruits, donations and prayers.

The highlight on the last day was the appearance of an elaborately-decorated lighted chariot bearing the goddess to begin the procession just before dusk.

The chariot snaked its way through Taman Melaka Raya, Jalan Banda Kaba, Lorong Hang Jebat, Jalan Parameswara and Lorong Bukit Senjuang before heading back to the temple at about midnight.

It was followed by a stream of devotees who danced and sang, while those lining the roads offered fruits, donations and prayers as the procession passed.

http://thestar.com.my/archives/2009/10/15/southneast/se_04durga.jpg Much awaited: The chariot bearing the goddess Durga starting the procession

Many performed the coconut-smashing ritual on the road before the chariot passed, for good luck and prosperity.
The devotees also offered prayers to Durga’s goddess incarnations of Kali (goddess of purity), Lakshmi (goddess of wealth) and Saraswati (goddess of knowledge).

Lata Mehta from Johor Baru said that many people of the community looked forward to the festival as it gave them the opportunity to fulfil vows and pay tribute to the goddess for answering their prayers.

She said that many outstation devotees made it a point to attend the event and pray for prosperity.
“I have never failed to come for the celebration and am grateful to make it every year.

“It is spiritually refreshing for my family and me every time,” said the 41-year-old who followed the procession with her mother and son.

Temple committee chairman Ramesh Patel said the celebration was a good opportunity for the community to spend time with their family members and friends while preserving the unique Gujerati culture.

Truth.8 Publish time 10-12-2009 10:47 AM

Post Last Edit by Truth.8 at 10-12-2009 10:49

Navratri is actually for Shiva which fall in March
similar to month of Sivan in Jews calender in the month of March

Sivan is the third month of the Hebrew calendar if we begin our count from Nissan, the month of our liberation from Egypt, which is the way months are counted in the Torah. Three is a portentous number in Judaism. Moses was the third child in his family. The Israelites began the three-day process of preparing themselves to receive the Torah on the third of Sivan. God divided the Jews into three groups with different roles: the Kohanim, the Leviites, and the rest of the Jews, Yisrael.

....and surprisingly me too fall into thrid in family and ending all three my entire life from IC, house, credit card and etc

Sephiroth Publish time 11-12-2009 11:43 AM

by Truth.8

...and surprisingly me too fall into thrid in family and ending all three my entire life from IC, house, credit card and etc

SO? This thread is about Navarathi. Not about you or your family.

Truth.8 Publish time 12-12-2009 10:29 AM

by Truth.8

SO? This thread is about Navarathi. Not about you or your family.
Sephiroth Post at 11-12-2009 11:43 http://mforum4.cari.com.my/images/common/back.gif

u want to see a symbol appear in my house like trinity? i think shown that b4 to u, rite?

Sephiroth Publish time 12-12-2009 11:02 AM

u want to see a symbol appear in my house like trinity? i think shown that b4 to u, rite?
Truth.8 Post at 12-12-2009 10:29 http://eforum2.cari.com.my/images/common/back.gif

Don't waste my time with symbols. In Hinduism, one does not need symbols to justify their belief. When they have faith strong enough, God can appear before their eyes (as the Sages in the past have seen Him).

sixret Publish time 22-12-2009 05:03 PM

membazir kelapa.

beri makan kepada Tuhan.What the....

Sephiroth Publish time 28-9-2011 12:22 PM

Navarathri starts again today (28-09-2011). For Hindus who celebrate Navarathri, I wish them Good Celebration. :loveliness:

Truth.8 Publish time 7-10-2011 11:56 AM

Post Last Edit by Truth.8 at 20-10-2011 12:30

nak tambah sikit:

Navratri, the festival of nights, lasts for 9 days with three days each devoted ...
Pygmalion Post at 14-9-2009 01:37 http://mforum.cari.com.my/images/common/back.gif

last week , I am surprise that the Chariot in big wheelwith godes durga andguy who is in trance, came and stop right infornt of my house which never happened in my area.they play drum and their holy song. it happened at 1130pm. my area all malays and few chinese. i stay here almost 17yrs..it was first time they pass by at my area and stop right infront of my house . the guy on trance who keep on moving with his trance stop right at my house outside the gate...hmmm wonder why they choose my street when they are lot street can be choose.:re:

my 'jiran' who happened to be chinese...little surprise too.

kirhmuru Publish time 12-10-2011 09:59 AM

membazir kelapa.

beri makan kepada Tuhan.What the....
sixret Post at 22-12-2009 17:03 http://mforum2.cari.com.my/images/common/back.gif

Kalau anda rasa ianya pembaziran maka endahkan sahaja, dan sila hormat kepercayaan dan adat orang lain. Memecahkan kelapa adalah sebahagian dari pembayaran nazar oleh penganut agama Hindu. Sila hormat kepercayaan agama orang lain. terima kasih.

a very nice post...:)

kirhmuru Publish time 12-10-2011 10:55 AM

kirhmuru Publish time 12-10-2011 11:33 AM

Sephiroth Publish time 13-10-2011 03:01 PM

Oi Mod ... One post is enough, why have you repeated the same post up to four times?

orangbesi Publish time 16-10-2011 11:21 AM

Reply 18# kirhmuru

a very nice post4 kali ya kawan
memang betul

a very nice post:)

salam hari kebesaran bagimu
Pages: [1] 2
View full version: Navratri Festival 2009

ADVERTISEMENT