dattaswami Publish time 16-7-2006 06:20 PM

Buddha kept silent about God

Buddha kept silent about God. This means that God is beyond words, mind and logic as said in the Veda. Buddha means the Buddhi or Jnana yoga that speaks about the absolute God. Thus He is the greatest incarnation of God. If one thinks Him as atheist, there can be no better fool. Mohammed showed the formless medium in which God exists, which is energy and this is presented by Shankara, because basically energy and awareness are one and the same. The prophet itself means human incarnation. Prophet is carrying on the message of God. The divine knowledge is in Him. Is He not greater than other human beings? Message of divine knowledge is the characteristic of God (Satyam Jnanam

Sephiroth Publish time 17-7-2006 08:19 AM

Buddha kept silent about God NOT because God is beyond words, but because believing in God ALONE does not make one a better person. :no:

People who believe in God still does adharmic actions and take rituals to way of cleansing themselves without actually handling their own fault. Buddha saw this and consider this as an irresponsible way of living.

Muhammad and Jesus DO NOT have the same approach. Those who do not believe in Jesus in Christianity damned to hell and those who do not believe in Muhammad (as prophet) also damned in Hell.

crocie Publish time 10-8-2006 02:06 PM

dont care bout god first , do the best in life, cultivate the best then baru nak jumpa god keh, apa apa sajalah like before u enter a company see CEO to hired u - u kena belajar baik baik , get work experience, get mature all damn stuff ....... god or not god tu when die baru nak jumpa pon tak ada masalah .... why we doubt god power that would not helps us any since we can do best in life n create better future .....

ariyamusafir Publish time 6-9-2006 09:50 AM

Originally posted by dattaswami at 16/7/2006 18:20

Buddha kept silent about God. This means that God is beyond words, mind and logic as said in the Veda. Buddha means the Buddhi or Jnana yoga that speaks about the ab ...

Look at the Buddha's teachings and the teachings of other religion, are they the same???? The answer is not. The buddha never denied the existance of gods (devas) but these gods are beings who will one day too die. The Buddha also mentioned that he achieved his enlightenment all by himself, by his own effort. His enlightenment is not like a prophet who received a so called god sent knowledge. Jesus tought his people to obey their absolute god, which people must have complete faith and believe in god though they have never seen god directly. The Buddha teaches people to live rightly, and do NOT blindly just accept his teachings without understanding. The dhamma is for you to come and see, not just come and believe without knowing or seeing.

My remarks are not meant to hit on any other religion. My remarks are to show that Buddhism is different from other religion such as Islam, and Christianity. As I have mentioned in my previous post in another thread on claims that Buddha is a rasul or Prophet, please do not try to cheat or lie to the ignorant that Buddha is some sort of another religion's prophet, or incarnation of their absolute god, or an avatar of their religion whos teachings differ fromwhat the Buddha teaches.

[ Last edited byariyamusafir at 6-9-2006 09:52 AM ]

samerosie Publish time 14-9-2006 01:33 PM

and those who do not believe in Muhammad (as prophet) also damned in Hell.
----------
Nice conclusion.Congratulations!Your understanding of Islam is zilch.

tickmeoff Publish time 15-9-2006 10:17 PM

and your understanding of buddhism itself?

samerosie Publish time 16-9-2006 03:08 PM

----
Believe me, even though I do not understand Buddhism as much as I should, I respect him and his followers as not to berated them for their belief, no matter what my personal view on this.   Now, can you say the same of the person whom I rebuked above?

ariyamusafir Publish time 16-9-2006 11:51 PM

Originally posted by samerosie at 16/9/2006 15:08
----
Believe me, even though I do not understand Buddhism as much as I should, I respect him and his followers as not to berated them for their belief, ...

Good for you as you have your beliefs but you still respect others. If many of the people in the world could do the same, there would be less conflict now. I too can understand your feelings.

tickmeoff Publish time 17-9-2006 10:00 AM

Would you clarify then, or perhaps share with us then, what is the perspective of Islam to Kafirs, and their fate after they die. I would like to know.

Thank you

[ Last edited bytickmeoff at 17-9-2006 10:34 PM ]

ariyamusafir Publish time 17-9-2006 08:07 PM

Originally posted by tickmeoff at 17/9/2006 10:00

But please correct me if I am wrong, those who do not subscribe to your religion are called Infidels or Kafir. I am not expert in Islam pardon me, but i know enough that those who do not believ ...

Dear tickmeoff,

I believe you have misunderstood our friend Samerosie. He was refering or replying to a statement made by Sephroth, which Sephiroth made on Islam, which he believes is not true with regard to Islam. He wasn't insulting, or hitting on any buddhist here. Just a misunderstanding on the clash issues.

His comment of little knowledge is of little knowledge about Islam, and was made to Sephiroth, not me.

[ Last edited byariyamusafir at 17-9-2006 08:09 PM ]

tickmeoff Publish time 17-9-2006 10:34 PM

oops sorry, my error. i will delete my post. apologies samerosie. sephiroth is a well known troll around in this thread, he basically trashes everyone's opinions. you could just ignore him.

[ Last edited bytickmeoff at 17-9-2006 10:36 PM ]

ariyamusafir Publish time 18-9-2006 08:37 AM

Originally posted by tickmeoff at 17/9/2006 22:34
oops sorry, my error. i will delete my post. apologies samerosie. sephiroth is a well known troll around in this thread, he basically trashes everyone's opinions. you could just ignore him.

Dun worry, he will understand. :-)

samerosie Publish time 18-9-2006 05:42 PM

No worries :)

thanks both!

calvinchin Publish time 2-10-2006 08:59 AM

Great people...

Hi there,

Religions are always a sensitive topic to discuss and yet, I found responsibile and understanding people
sharing their ideas of their believe as well as respect other religions.

Youpeople are GREAT !

Yg benar,
Calvin

Sephiroth Publish time 3-10-2006 08:36 AM

by samerosie   

Nice conclusion.Congratulations!Your understanding of Islam is zilch.

So where in Al Quran or Surah did it say that those who DO NOT believe in Islam and Muhammad will go to heaven as well? :stp:

In Buddhism, Salvation/Enlightnment is in each person's hand, NOT in Buddha's. :no:

lyhmsia Publish time 3-10-2006 11:22 AM

Buddhism and God Idea

Do Buddhists believe in a god?

No, we do not. There are several reasons for this. The Buddha, like modern sociologists and psychologists, believed that religious ideas and especially the god idea have their origins in fear. The Buddha says:

Gripped by fear people go to sacred mountains, sacred groves, sacred trees and shrines.
Dp. 188

Primitive humans found selves in a dangerous and hostile world, the fear of wild animals, of not being able to find enough food, of injury or disease, and of natural phenomena like thunder, lightning and volcanoes were constantly with them. Finding no security, they created the idea of gods in order to give them comfort in good times, courage in times of danger and consolation when things went wrong. To this day, you will notice that people become more religious at times of crises, you will hear them say that the belief in a god or gods gives them the strength they need to deal with life. You will hear them explain that they believe in a particular god because they prayed in time of need and their prayer was answered. All this seems to support the Buddha's teaching that the god-idea is a response to fear and frustration. The Buddha taught us to try to understand our fears, to lessen our desires and to calmly and courageously accept the things we cannot change. He replaced fear, not with irrational belief but with rational understanding.

Continue: http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/qanda03.htm

Sephiroth Publish time 3-10-2006 12:58 PM

Finding no security, they created the idea of gods in order to give them comfort in good times, courage in times of danger and consolation when things went wrong.

Creating image of God is very different from knowing whether God exists or not. It is two different issue.

It is true that Man create his own image (or understanding) of God due to his own fears and doubts. But does that mean God doesn't exist just because Man have doubts in himself? :hmm:

It's like saying, "Bus not coming on this road" therefore Bus don't exist. :lol:

ariyamusafir Publish time 4-10-2006 11:24 AM

Originally posted by Sephiroth at 3/10/2006 12:58
Finding no security, they created the idea of gods in order to give them comfort in good times, courage in times of danger and consolation when things went wrong.

Creating image of God is very ...

and how do you know God exist???? Have you seen him/her? If this kind of idea is true whereby god created everything, then why did this so called god who lives forever, and who is creator of so called everything create people who suffers, create evil people? Also, if such too being the case, who then created god?

Get it???? Hindusm and Buddhism are two DIFFERENT religion/beliefs, which as had mentioned by venerable Dr. K. Sri Dhammananda Nayaka Maha Thera which mentioned that there are elements from other religion trying to make Buddha some sort of their incarnation of their god, or an avatar which is meant to deceive people into converting to their religion.

Please do not mix pure Buddhism with other religion such as Hindu, Islam and Christianity. We respect your religion, please show respect to ours by not cheating and deceiving people.

[ Last edited byariyamusafir at 4-10-2006 11:42 AM ]

Sephiroth Publish time 4-10-2006 12:43 PM

by ariyamusafir   

and how do you know God exist???? Have you seen him/her?

You too have not seen Amibatha Buddha or seen the so-called Pure Land, YET you promote them. ;)
And here, you question me on how I know God exists? Talk about being Hypocrite.

If this kind of idea is true whereby god created everything, then why did this so called god who lives forever, and who is creator of so called everything create people who suffers, create evil people? Also, if such too being the case, who then created god?

God doesn't create people who suffers, people suffer due to their own actions - Karma. You as a Buddhist (as you claim to be) should understand this better.

Also, there is no Good people or Evil people, there is just people who have different opinions and desires. Because of their desires, they commit sinful actions and because of that, they suffer. THIS IS BASIC OF BUDDHISM. Practise it before you could preach it to others. ;)

Get itt???? Hindusm and Buddhism are two DIFFERENT religion/beliefs, which as had mentioned by venerable Dr. K. Sri Dhammananda Nayaka Maha Thera which mentioned that there are elements from other religion trying to make Buddha some sort of their incarnation of their god, or an avatar which is meant to deceive people into converting to their religion.

Like your so-called Amibatha Buddha which you can only find in story books and those Pure Land concept? :cak:

Please do not mix pure Buddhism with other religion such as Hindu, Islam and Christianity. We respect your religion, please show respect to ours by not cheating and deceiving people.

I'm not cheating, YOU are CHEATING by following Pure Land Concept while backing away from True Buddhism which brought by Gautama Buddha.

ariyamusafir Publish time 4-10-2006 05:53 PM

You too have not seen Amibatha Buddha or seen the so-called Pure Land, YET you promote them.
And here, you question me on how I know God exists? Talk about being Hypocrite.

Buddha Amitabha is one of the Buddha who had attained Buddhahood before Buddha Gotama, and Buddha Amitabha is not mentioned on just NORMAL story books. Buddha Gotama mentioned on Buddha Amitabha before. Also, Buddha Amitabha is not only believed by Pure Land followers, which is a sub-school of Mahayana, but believed too by all Buddhist.

Number 2. What I did in the past is to counter your slanderous remarks towards Pure Land and Buddha Amitabha, NOT promoting Pure Land which is a sub-school of the Mahayana tradition. What I did in the past, what I am doing now, and what I have argued with you (in heated arguments) in the past is on PURE Buddhism, not Pure Land as a sub-school but PURE meaning UNmixed, Unadulterated, UNaltered teachings of the Buddha Gotama, meaning, ORIGINAL 100%. So, to CONCLUDE my definition of PURE Buddhism = Original Buddhism and NOT just Pure Land sub-school or sub-tradition. Even when I emphasized on ORIGINAL teachings, I want no one to make slanderous remarks towards all other sub-tradition be it in Mahayana or Teravada or Vajrayana.

In case you have forgotten, in the past, I have too many heated arguments with you on Pure/Original/Unmixed/Unaltered/NOT Modified teachings of the Buddha in the sense, that is what I want to follow and talk about it around here, but you, keep on insisting on there is no pure teachings, and you supported Mahayana (which I am not against at all, only emphasizing on orthodox/unmodified/unmixed) and then, it appears you are trying to force your ideas around everyone then.

God doesn't create people who suffers, people suffer due to their own actions - Karma. You as a Buddhist (as you claim to be) should understand this better.

Also, there is no Good people or Evil people, there is just people who have different opinions and desires. Because of their desires, they commit sinful actions and because of that, they suffer. THIS IS BASIC OF BUDDHISM. Practise it before you could preach it to others.

I know, it is the kamma of one own. In fact, there isn't any god which directly impose the kamma of oneself. One suffers from one's own deeds and one reap the rewards of ones own deeds andachieving parinibbana, all kamma good or bad will come to an end.

It appears to me that you are trying to confuse others by taking my comments OUT of context. what I am trying to say is that, IF EVER and only IF EVER there is such god who created everything, then why does human still suffer, why does evil dooer still suffers, why does the world still contains many people who vent on commiting evil deeds??? IF and only IF there is SUCH God, who creates the world and everything, then there should not be any problems in this world, after all, if and only if there is such god, then god decides everything which this argument is based on those views who believed there is such one almighty god who creates everything. Get it??? Thus, I was trying to prove a point by asking those question, not saying that I believe that GOD created everything and NOT saying that I believe in the CONCEPT of One almighty GOD who creates everything. However, for those who believe in such concepts such as yourself (Correct me IF I am wrong about your beliefs as such is what I understand from our debate), then those are the QUESTIONS which will make these people think on the concepts which they had believe since then. It is not an insult to those of other faiths, it is a direct hit on those who tried to manipulate Buddhism to to their own or their religions benefits such as claiming Buddha as a prophet of their god and so on.

Like your so-called Amibatha Buddha which you can only find in story books and those Pure Land concept?
Now,it is not so called Buddha Amitabha which can only be found in story books. Buddha Gotama mentioned on Buddha Amitabha, same as Buddha Gotama also did mentioned on Buddha Padumuttara, Buddha Kassapa and Buddha to be Bodhisatta Metteya and other Buddha before Buddha Gotama. Go ask non-Pureland sub-tradition if they believe in Buddha Amitabha/Amitayus. Mahayanist who are non-Pure Land sub-tradition too believe in Buddha Amitabha. I respect and pay homage to all Buddha throughout the ten directions.

I'm not cheating, YOU are CHEATING by following Pure Land Concept while backing away from True Buddhism which brought by Gautama Buddha.

Sephiroth, Sephiroth! Which sentence or word in my post #18 in this thread have I directly mentioned OR directly accusing YOU of cheating??? Did I say Sephiroth you cheater? NO! Did I say you are a cheater? No I did not! However, I directly hit on those people (who does not represent their religion in making those statements/concepts/idea) be it a muslim, a christian, a hindu, or anyone else (which I do not hit or insult or make attack remarks towards their religion BUT them as individuals who make slanderous remarks) which tries to CHEAT people by claiming and preaching to Buddhist and/or Non-Buddhist alike that Buddha Gotama is their prophet or an angel, avatar of their religion in which by fact, differs from the teachings of the Buddha himself! My definition of "YOUR" in my #18 post IS meant for all those who cheat using such menthod as you can see, that I made reference to those individuals who are of different faith!

As I said, I don't care what sub-tradition, as long as it is the original, UNMIXED, UNALTERED teachings of the Buddha, I will go along with it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
View full version: Buddha kept silent about God

ADVERTISEMENT