topeng perak Publish time 3-9-2006 10:38 AM

what is the role of the dragon in buddhism?

http://photos.friendster.com/photos/20/32/11132302/20516608053187l.jpg

arh ... this is my assignment hoo hoo hoo ... my lecturer want me to write about the chinese dragon ... it role to religion, culture and society ... uh how would i know ... have any idea about it?

dragon ... are they is the god? ... or representative of the god? ... or messenger of the god? ... or guardian of heaven? ... or just an ordinary beast?

Sephiroth Publish time 4-9-2006 08:25 AM

Not sure about Pureland Buddhism, but in Vajrayana (Tibetan Mystism), Dragons (among a few others) are Dharmapalas - Wraithful Spirits.

Unlike Christianity and Islam who considered their "divine beings" as merciful, peaceful and devoted, Buddhist's "divine beings" are Dharmapalas - Wraithful Spirits which included Death. This "Spirits" accompanys Buddha in his journey, become Buddhist themselves and continued to protect Dharma to this day (same way Hindus consider Yama Dharma as protector of Dharma in Hindusm).

Why this Wraithful Spirits? Why not Man or gods/goddess? Because this is to symbolizes that Buddhism is for all and even the most sinful of beings in this World could change their behaviors and become Enlightened. :)

topeng perak Publish time 5-9-2006 02:10 AM

http://photos.friendster.com/photos/20/32/11132302/20516608053187l.jpg

thanx a lot huhu ... it really helps !

Sephiroth Publish time 5-9-2006 08:07 AM

For further information, just type "Dharmapalas" in any search engine.

kakaktua Publish time 4-12-2006 03:32 AM

Dragon the Guardian of Jewel of Enlightenment

The Dragon often associated with Buddha Nature, the dragon is able to expand, contract or transform its body and has the power of invisibility. It possesses a mysterious power and presence not entirely graspable by the worldly mind. Living in the watery realms of seas and lakes and mists, it is present, yet elusive and hidden. And in its realm time exists differently than in the terrestrial, human realm. Holding a globe, the dragon is the guardian of the Jewel of Enlightenment.
Pages: [1]
View full version: what is the role of the dragon in buddhism?

ADVERTISEMENT