Greenbottle3 Publish time 30-10-2005 11:15 AM

another reason why we need to read good books

please don't get me wrong..but it depresses me a bit to find out that we have so many well intentioned book worms here...great lovers of books... but sadly based on the threads here many seems to be clueless of what good books to read...i don't mean to say that we should not read pulp fictions and genres like romance and the like..but ...one way to look at a nation's maturity is to see what they read...if we read sidney sheldon or harry potter say ..just to quote two examples...and expend such amount of energy discussing it..then god help us...we are a nation of air heads!!...but ni dekat hari raya so maafkan lah saya...don't get me wrong as i say...but i belive book worms should read 'good' books...

well anywayhere's a link to an excellent Orhan Pamuk's speech on what reading novels is all about...that appears in the guardian's newspaper 28/10

http://books.guardian.co.uk/review/story/0,12084,1601997,00.html

seribulan Publish time 30-10-2005 06:14 PM

flogging a dead horse...

hem...these r nice ones...excerpt from the link...

What I am trying to do here is to speak of this shame as a whispered secret, as I first heard it in Dostoevsky's novels. For it is by sharing our secret shames that we bring about our liberation: this is what the art of the novel has taught me. It is by reading novels, stories and myths that we come to understand the ideas that govern the world in which we live; it is fiction that gives us access to the truths kept veiled and hidden by our families, our schools, and our society; it is the art of the novel that allows us to ask who we really are.

We have all known the joy of reading novels: we have all known the thrill of going down the path that leads into someone else's world, and engaging with that world, and longing to change it, as we engross ourselves in the hero's culture, in his relationship with the objects that make up his world, in the words the author uses, in the decisions he makes and the things he notices as the story unfolds.

When we retire to a corner, when we lie down on a bed, when we stretch out on a divan with a novel in our hands, our imaginations travel back and forth between the world in that novel and the world in which we live. This novel in our hands might take us to another world we have never visited, never seen, and never known. Or it might take us into the hidden depths of a character who seems on the surface to resemble those we know best. Sometimes I try to conjure up, one by one, a multitude of readers hidden away in corners and nestled in their armchairs; I try also to imagine the geography of their everyday lives. Then, before my eyes, thousands, tens of thousands of readers will take shape, stretching far and wide across the streets of the city, and as they read, they dream the author's dreams, and imagine his heroes into being, and see his world. So now these readers, like the author himself, are trying to imagine the other; they, too, are putting themselves in another's place.

These are the times when we feel humility, compassion, tolerance, pity and love stirring in our hearts: for great literature speaks not to our powers of judgment, but to our ability to put ourselves in someone else's place. Modern societies, tribes and nations do their deepest thinking about themselves through reading novels; through reading novels, they are able to argue about who they are; so even if we have picked up a novel hoping only to divert ourselves, and relax, and escape the boredom of everyday life, we begin, without realising, to conjure up the collectivity, the nation, the society to which we belong.

This is also why novels give voice not just to a nation's pride and joy, but also to its anger, its vulnerabilities, and its shame. It is because they remind readers of their shame, their pride, and their tenuous place in the world that novelists still arouse such anger, and what a shame it is that we still see outbursts of intolerance - that we still see books burned, and novelists prosecuted.

miss_sherlock Publish time 30-10-2005 08:56 PM

Well i agree that we should read books that broaden our minds
But personally, i feel that if we were to confine the purposes of reading, then there isn't much variety in life already, eh?
People read for different reasons, be it to be entertained, to run away, to knwo more, to feel emotions, to understand, or simply just for fun

For me, it doesnt matter the purpose, as long as people are reading, i am happy!
The material and content is immaterial as long as the reader gets whatever satisfaction he or she wants to achieve, then thats the thing that matters most.

When i was younger, I used to loove reading fiction and materials which probably i consider to be quite poor when i decided that i wanted something more when i read. Nowadays i still read   a fair bit of both be it insightful ones or merely entertaining ones. There are great joys in both and like i said... as long as people are reading and are not just confined to the square box , i am happy!

Remy_3D Publish time 30-10-2005 11:14 PM

i hate english!!!! nada bahasa lain lagi kah kan kamu kurapaki

blackmore Publish time 31-10-2005 01:33 AM

...here we go again....http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/blackmore/emots/laugh.gifhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/blackmore/emots/laugh.gifhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/blackmore/emots/laugh.gifhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/blackmore/emots/laugh.gifhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/blackmore/emots/laugh.gif

btho Publish time 31-10-2005 02:23 AM

agree with miss_sherlock!!!

Hana Publish time 31-10-2005 02:25 AM

hana kan..teringin sgt mengarang panjang2 mcm korang tulis nie...

mcm mana korang leh tulis panjang2 mcm nie? sbb baca buku inggeris ke..baca paper?
leh kasi tips tak? mcm mana nak tulis karangan bhsa inggeris mcm korang tulis..
hana tanya serius nie..

sorry ekk..cik mod..salah parking..tapi, pertanyaan pada timing yg betul kan??

flogging a dead horse...
btw..quote kat atas tu..makna dlm melayu ape ek??

blackmore Publish time 31-10-2005 03:39 AM

Originally posted by Hana at 31-10-2005 02:25 AM
hana kan..teringin sgt mengarang panjang2 mcm korang tulis nie...

mcm mana korang leh tulis panjang2 mcm nie? sbb baca buku inggeris ke..baca paper?
leh kasi tips tak? mcm mana nak tulis karang ...
...hana...try reading lots of books and any other reading materials in english...doesnt have to limit your choice of reading materials actually...to me...as long as u can get some amount of knowledge from what u read is good enuff...try conversing in english more often as well...

...books by sidney sheldon are very interesting...like his novels alot...dont noe about harry potter cos ive never read one before...but from what ive heard...harry potter sounds like an interesting piece of work too...greenie must be cursing and swearing rite now...but what the heck!!...i like what i like...and he cant change that...betul tak greenie sayang???http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/blackmore/emots/E10.gif

..ps...btw...flogging a dead horse...eerr...kalau dalam bahasa melayu cam apa ek??...hmmm...perhaps seperti mencurah air di daun keladi???...or...arang abis besi binasa???..http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/blackmore/emots/grin.gif

Greenbottle3 Publish time 31-10-2005 12:52 PM

blackmore... hang ni nak bagi aku 'kurus puasa ke?'...betul ke awak minat sydney sheldon?...actually orang macam sydney sheldon ni memang very capable dan pintar... dia tau macam mana nak kosongkan poket pembaca..give more of the same... forget about serious stuff.. forget about literary pretension... bagi mereka makan junk food for the mind...

seribulan Publish time 31-10-2005 04:44 PM

Originally posted by Greenbottle3 at 31-10-2005 12:52 PM
blackmore... hang ni nak bagi aku 'kurus puasa ke?'...betul ke awak minat sydney sheldon?...actually orang macam sydney sheldon ni memang very capable dan pintar... dia tau macam mana nak kosongkan ...
Some may like it because of its plot...he's a spellbinder...tale-spinner...
mungkin dia bukan sasterawan...tetapi pandai spin a tale...cuma lama-lama agak
menjemukan bila guna the same formula...over and over again...dah writer's
block kot...habis dah idea yg kreatif utk plot dier...

blackmore Publish time 31-10-2005 11:39 PM

Originally posted by Greenbottle3 at 31-10-2005 12:52 PM
blackmore... hang ni nak bagi aku 'kurus puasa ke?'...betul ke awak minat sydney sheldon?...actually orang macam sydney sheldon ni memang very capable dan pintar... dia tau macam mana nak kosongkan ...

...yes greenie...saya minat ngan sidney sheldon...macam saya minat kat awak jugak....http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/blackmore/emots/kiss2.gifhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/blackmore/emots/E10.gif...like youve said...sheldon nie memang pandai nak kosongkan poket orang...aku kalau beli buku dia...tak cukup satu...kadang2 skali 5 at one time....but...puashati...aku suka ngan citer2 dia...he is a great tale spinner...greenie dear...nanti aku suruh dia buat citer pasal kita ok???...http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/blackmore/emots/jerangkung.gifhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/blackmore/emots/grin.gif

redsinner Publish time 1-11-2005 04:32 PM

lets get back to the topic...heheh..kembali ke pangkal jalan..

for me, good books mean books with moral story to learn. well, i had a few books dat depict d lives of 19th century burmese. Glass Palace - Amitav Ghosh and Piano Tuner - David Manor(something like dat). i learnt the truth about PEOPLE. there were people who really did prostitution as a need, as the current clerical jobs mcm gov jobs were taken by those of higher ranks. i learnt that omputih ni agak kurang ajar in terms of nak gak org lain dgr ckp dia. yeah, maybe its a fiction but still show what they think of those oppressed people. Burmese in 19th century represents the rest of South East Asia gak time tu. so i felt sad by their treatment towards our people also. :onf:

since i read basically anything, i love another political book by V.S. Naipaul titled Beyond Belief is another good book. u never realize the truth about Malaysia n this region till u read it. :hmm:

my choice of books might be on tether ends but i still read anyting dat differ from whatever i had bought in my closet.

hmm...any good books to ponder nowadays? i might want sum recommendation!! :)

Akak_Siti Publish time 1-11-2005 06:56 PM

Salam buat semua....
memandangkan saya sedang dalam proses blajar BI....saya nak mintak pendapat u all...
sebagai permulaan....

1)Apakah buku-buku dalam BI yang patut di baca sebagai permulaan untuk menguasai BI untuk writing,reading,listening,speaking?

2)Apakah jenis-jenis buku yang di maksudkan dengan bahan bacaan yang baik?

SEBAB...saya pernah mendengar kata-kata"Apa yang membezakan seseorang ialah apa yang di baca"

Greenbottle3 Publish time 1-11-2005 11:38 PM

Kak siti...

kalau anda beginner dlm BI the safest and surest way to learn good english ia lah baca newspapers...tapi saya suggest

Greenbottle3 Publish time 2-11-2005 12:01 AM

sori tertekan sent...

here it is again....

Kak siti...

kalau anda beginner dlm BI the safest and surest way to learn good english ia lah dgn baca newspapers...tapi saya suggest   JANGAN baca local newspapers macam nst atau STAR...sebab papers ni are very shallow...ia tidak akan menajamkan minda anda...saya suggest anda baca papers online especiallyGUARDIAN UNLIMITED, TIMES (london) , THE INDEPENDANT atau NEW YORK TIMES terutama dalam section 'BOOKS'.

Book section dalam nespapers misal nya GUARDIAN UNLIMITED is highly reccomended kerana buku2 yang di review adalah buku2 yang 'intellectually stimulating'...

here is the link

http://books.guardian.co.uk/

Kalau nak baca fiction saya suggest start with classics...macam buku2 henry james atau bronte sisters misal nya wuthering heights atau jane eyre, atau somerset maugham misal nya of human bondage atau buku2 EM Foster...dari ingatan saya mereka ni mengarang dengan 'standard english'...bukan guna banyak istilah2 'colloquial'...buku macam 'mark twain's huckleberry finn banyak guna istilah macam ni so kalau anda tak kuat penguasan bahasa anda akan 'lose some of the subtlelties and nuances of the story...'..buku2 contemporary oleh v.s naipul pun guna bahasa yang standard...

kalau cik siti dah kuat penguasaan bahasa..saya suggest boleh baca buku2 'literary fictions' oleh julian barnes dsb nya...kalau nak syle yang lebih 'convoluted' boleh bacabuku2 will self atau Martin amis....tapi bagi saya buku2 yang penulisan nya antara yang paling 'stylish' dalam bahasa inggeris ada lah karangan Vladimir Nabokov dan to a lesser extent salman rushdie....this is quite ironic since both are non english....

Akak_Siti Publish time 2-11-2005 09:13 AM

Terimakasih ,satu saranan yang amat baik...
Saya akan cuba mengikuti saranan awak itu.

Saya baru mengikuti 2x kelas Bahasa.Di mana guru tersebut memberi penekanan grammar,nampaknya selama ini banyak grammar saya banyak yang lintang pukang.Apa pun memandangkan saya berazam mahu menguasai Bahasa ini kena lah saya belajar semula dari awal.

Oh ya,saya suka sangat hendak membaca dan memahamkan Sajak(Poem),Astrology,Horoscope.Bahasa yang di gunakan saya rasa sedikit pelik,sukar saya hendak jumpa dalam kamus.
Kamus yang bagaimana boleh saya jumpa ayat-ayat yang terdapat dalam bab tersebut?

seribulan Publish time 2-11-2005 11:40 AM

Originally posted by Akak_Siti at 2-11-2005 09:13 AM
Oh ya,saya suka sangat hendak membaca dan memahamkan Sajak(Poem),Astrology,Horoscope.Bahasa yang di gunakan saya rasa sedikit pelik,sukar saya hendak jumpa dalam kamus.
Kamus yang bagaimana boleh saya jumpa ayat-ayat yang terdapat dalam bab tersebut?
Akak...bawah ni link bod Languages...ada cara2 camna nak improve ur English...

http://forum.cari.com.my/forumdisplay.php?fid=177

yg nih ada yg tanya pasal dictionary...
:dia:http://forum.cari.com.my/viewthread.php?tid=137159&extra=page%3D1&page=2

hope this will help...

seribulan Publish time 2-11-2005 12:10 PM

hmm...any good books to ponder nowadays? i might want sum recommendation!!

redsinner...hope this would be useful...n the link given below...

Orange Prize for Fiction's "50 Essential Reads by Contemporary Authors"

A Prayer For Owen         Meany John Irving
A Suitable Boy                  Vikram Seth
American Pastoral             Philip Roth
Atonement                        Ian McEwan
Being Dead                        Jim Crace
Birdsong                            Sebastian Faulks
Captain Corelli's Mandolin Louis De Bernieres   
Cloudstreet                      Tim Winton
Disgrace                           J. M. Coetzee
Enduring Love                  McEwan
Faith Singer                      Rosie Scott
Fingersmith                      Sarah Waters
Fred and Edie                  Jill Dawson
Fugitive Pieces               Anne Michaels
Girl with a Pearl EarringTracy Chevalier
Grace Notes                  Bernard MacLaverty
High Fidelity                  Nick Hornby   
His Dark Materials            Philip Pullman   
Hotel World                     Ali Smith
Middlesex                     Jeffrey Eugenides
Midnight's Children         Salman Rushdie
Misery                                             Stephen King
Miss Smilla's Feeling for Snow         Peter Hoeg
Money                                              Martin Amis
Music and Silence                           Rose Tremain   
One Hundred Years of Solitude       Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit       Jeanette Winterson
Riders                                             Jilly Cooper
Slaughterhouse-Five                        Kurt Vonnegut
The Blind Assassin                            Margaret Atwood
The Corrections                               Jonathan Franzen
The Golden Notebook                      Doris M. Lessing
The Handmaid's Tale                        Margaret Atwood
The House of Spirits                        Isabel Allende
The Name of the Rose                  Umberto Eco
The Passion                                    Jeanette Winterson
The Poisonwood Bible                     Barbara Kingsolver
The Rabbit Books                            John Updike
Regeneration                                 Pat Barker
The Secret History                        Donna Tartt
The Shipping News                        E. Annie Proulx
The Tin Drum                                  Gé»±ter Grass
The Wind Up Bird Chronicle            Haruki Murakami
The Women's Room                        Marilyn French
Beaker                                          Jacqueline Wilson
Trainspotting                                 Irvine Welsh
Unless                                             Carol Shields
What a Carve-Up                           Jonathan Coe
What I Loved                                 Siri Hustvedt
White Teeth                                 Zadie Smith

http://listsofbests.com/lists/1

[ Last edited by seribulan at 2-11-2005 12:15 PM ]

Akak_Siti Publish time 2-11-2005 01:18 PM

Originally posted by seribulan at 2-11-2005 11:40 AM

Akak...bawah ni link bod Languages...ada cara2 camna nak improve ur English...

http://forum.cari.com.my/forumdisplay.php?fid=177

yg nih ada yg tanya pasal dictionary...
:dia:

Wow...Thanks.Saya yakin ia akan banyak membantu saya kelak dalam menguasai Bahasa Inggeris.Lebih-lebih lagi Sastera Inggeris.

mbhcsf Publish time 4-11-2005 09:14 PM

hmm,..

Originally posted by Greenbottle3 at 2-11-2005 12:01 AM
sori tertekan sent...

here it is again....

Kak siti...

kalau anda beginner dlm BI the safest and surest way to learn good english ia lah dgn baca newspapers...tapi saya suggest   JANGAN ba ...
how about Austen - like it a lot..especially Pride and perjudice - I recommend aka Siti To read Jane Austen - too bad she died young-
Pages: [1] 2
View full version: another reason why we need to read good books

ADVERTISEMENT