Greenbottle3 Publish time 3-8-2005 07:04 PM

Potter Hater

Ni mesti buat sesetengah pelawat di sini naik angin...

but it must be said....

anybody who is above 15 , OK make it 20...has no business going crazy over harry potter..saya tak faham mengapa orang dewasa boleh jadi gila tunggu sampai beratur dari sebelum subuh semata mata nak dapat the latest volume ofHarry Potter and at RM 89.90!!... it's nothing but stupidity...can any book is THAT good that you have to do crazy things like this??...what is worse... orang yang baca potter ni bukan nya ulat buku sangat...

You guys just fall for the slick marketing hype of the potter publisher...

buku potter ni untuk budak2 umur LAPAN tahun saja... grow up...

appropos Publish time 3-8-2005 07:24 PM

i've got to say i've been waiting for someone to say this. and i have got to agree with some of greenbottle3's opinion

and the one i agree with is the above statement, the promotion and the movies does help sell the books a lot .
i wont say its a bad book or its a book targeted for young adults but what i will say
is that it is over rated.

idolfan Publish time 3-8-2005 07:54 PM

same like star wars...whats so good about it??...
all i know.. i like potter's books and movies..:)

sultana Publish time 4-8-2005 08:42 AM

Originally posted by Greenbottle3 at 3-8-2005 07:04 PM:

but it must be said....

anybody who is above 15 , OK make it 20...has no business going crazy over harry potter..saya tak faham mengapa ...

weih... suka org arrr.. bukan beli buku tu mintak duit awak pung....:jeler:Greenbottle have you ever heard of the saying, "one man's food is another man's poison"?

moncherie Publish time 4-8-2005 10:21 AM

to Potter hater...
you loathe it, we like it.
so there, we're even.
no harm done.

p/s:btw, ini bukan tindakan sengaja utk menambah post/credit i presume???

dunia Publish time 4-8-2005 10:41 AM

I'm not big fan of Harry Potter, tetapi semua buku-bukunya dunia ada. children edition, kenapa... heheh.. for my 8 months old son.. bila dia start reading, ini akan jadi salah satu bukunya...

[ Last edited by dunia on 3-8-2005 at 10:42 PM ]

tieyramisu Publish time 4-8-2005 10:56 AM

"When I get a little money, I buy books... and if there is any leftover, I buy food"- Desiderius Erasmus

tieyramisu Publish time 4-8-2005 11:01 AM

Well... for me I'm proud of those situation. Ye lah... even I'm not Harry Potter's fan. Nanti la kan... kalau I dah ada anak... I rela beratur subuh-subuh camtu demi sebuah buku. Bagus apa demi buku...takdela kalau start konsert ke hapa...yg nak start kul 8.30mlm... dah terpacak 1.30tgh.

Kepada parents yg rela bangun awal beratur tak kira bookstores mana... tahniah. Anda menunjukkan contoh yang baik untuk anak anda.

About marketing...well ye lah...promotion & strategy market diorang. Dah kita kat sini belum dapat publish sebuah buku yg semua org addicted then tak berani nak buat promosi supaya orang rela bawak tikar bantal tidur kat depan kedai buku.

So...kita rela kan je lah bertikar bantal untuk sebuah buku omputeh. Left aside semua ... for me... bagus...orang Malaysia pun pandai menghargai buku.

seribulan Publish time 4-8-2005 12:24 PM

Originally posted by moncherie at 4/8/05 10:21 AM:
p/s:btw, ini bukan tindakan sengaja utk menambah post/credit i presume???
:Pno, his is more on knocking ur socks off...
or stirring the hornet's nest:cak:

KRUfan Publish time 4-8-2005 11:41 PM

Harry Potter rules, man!

drBaBy Publish time 5-8-2005 05:21 PM

Originally posted by idolfan at 3-8-2005 07:54 PM:
same like star wars...whats so good about it??...
all i know.. i like potter's books and movies..:)

agreed..i dont like star wars...and dont understand why ppl raving about it.what made it worse, ramai yang tgk movie saje and never even read one of of its books. but that never made me condemn them...heheh..coz i believe in human's right and choice..same goes to comics like batman,spiderman,why do adults read them? it becomes collector items, some more...or is it because they made the movie looks 'adultfied' that adult can read 'em? well, i feel that its human rite to choose and do whatever they like and read whatever they feel like:P

i guess too, its ppl's right to beratur subuh subuh ke...to go crazy or mad over potter. as for me, i go crazy over potters because i have been reading it since book 1. have felt instant love since reading from page 1. and have been following religiously since that. and i just cant wait for the story to continue..coz i crave for the answer..whats going on next? maybe this hunger is just because its sequelae being released one by one. and the waiting made u anticipation heighten. thats what this commotion is all about.

i wont agree that potter is only for children. even though i feel yeah, it fell more iiinto children genre. but adults can read too..why not? ii am not shy to admit, that i do read children storybooks.
i guess i am still young at heart...but that is my choice, and who bothers?
and i also feel that this book can be called universal. its not only meant for a 8 year old. my mom read this, and she said it's good. i believe my mom is half twice ur age,greenbottle. but does that make her a child? and does she in need of advice such as 'grow up,mummy?' i dont think so. thats what make the book special, i rather feel it is universal. that not only children can enjoy them, but their sisters and mothers too...

and if a non bookworm goes gaga over these books. dontu think its a good start to become one later? oh, by the way,iis there any rule apply thatonly a bookworm is allowed to go :o: over a book? :nana: i feel only uptight and rigid ppl will make such comment.

i feel that jk is a talented storyteller...i wont deny that the first time i laid my fingers on the first copy, i was skeptical. i was doubtful. i was not expecting much. but from the first page, i was mesmerized with the style and the storyline. it felt like being enchanted and charmed. like u are being glued to the book. jk just have this talent of unfolding the story in a very suspense and thrilling manner, that u feel u want to know more and more. and she made magic, looks magical,practical and scientical, with explainationsfor things that made it looks almost realistic. too bad u cant enjoy, em.
and when i read potter for first time, mind u, i havent even watch the movie. as far as i can remember, the movie was not out yet. so there;sno quest that the book is overated because of the movie. at least, that is, in my case.
and fyi, i am very frustrated with the movies. though they are trying to potray the best out of what they have in the book, i still find that reading the book is far more rewarding and enjoyable. i dont enjoy the movies much...

well..bottom line is...ppl has right to choose..so they choose. no one can have the same mind over some issues. coz, we differs.

"rambut sama hitam, hati lain lain"

[ Last edited by drBaBy on 5-8-2005 at 05:36 PM ]

blackmore Publish time 5-8-2005 07:20 PM

Originally posted by Greenbottle3 at 3-8-2005 19:04:

but it must be said....

Potter Hater

but it must be said....

anybody who is above 15 , OK make it 20...has no business going crazy over harry potter..saya tak faham mengapa orang dewasa boleh jadi gila tunggu sampai beratur dari sebelum subuh semata mata nak dapat the latest volume ofHarry Potter and at RM 89.90!!... it's nothing but stupidity...can any book is THAT good that you have to do crazy things like this??...what is worse... orang yang baca potter ni bukan nya ulat buku sangat...

buku potter ni untuk budak2 umur LAPAN tahun saja... grow up...

...this must be said too...:P

.....and what exactly about the Harry Potter series is it that bothers you personally???

...reading books on fairy tales...or to be specific..."children books" doesnt make u childish...i think u are being childish if u have this kind of notion...personally...those who think and believe that "children books" are only meant for children...i think these are the ones who should grow up...:P

...i leave u guys withCS Lewis's defense of Tolkien's (LOTR) "childish" books...

..."Critics who treat "adult" as a term of approval instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adults themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence...When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."

...ps...btw...who do u think u are telling them not to queue during the wee hours...not to buy the potter's series...and most of all...telling them to grow up...cos really...the way i see it...it's really none of your bisnis....:P:P:P:bgrin:

:bgrin::bgrin::bgrin::bgrin:

[ Last edited by blackmore on 5-8-2005 at 07:41 PM ]

Greenbottle3 Publish time 5-8-2005 07:54 PM

drBaby and Ritchie Blackmore ...

ahaaaaa....good that you guys get all excited about this potter thing...
...i thought i mentiond it somewhere..yes...I have not and WILL NOT read potter...yes, it may be good (can't be THAT good)...i don't know...& i'll never know because i'll not read it in a long while.... but my point is NOBODY should go crazy over potter!!...are you guys going bonkers over other books too?...if that's so, well, ok but if you're not...that only means you guys only fall for the hype and this 'potter madness'...i never say that adults should not read children's books... as i said i also read children's books...alice in wonderland is one of my alltime best books...children or other wise... roald Dahl was fantastic too....etc...

what is disturbing ...at least for malaysians...is that the argument that those that read potter will go on reading other stuff is not really correct... will those potter readers go on and read quality books??...will they know how to discern what are considered quality books???...

i don't think so....you know why i won't have the time to read potter?... simply because i don't want to be a part of the hype and perharps more importantly i've yet to read all those books that are gathering dusts in my library...all thosebooks by Nabokov, Isaac Besheevis singer, Martin amis, Tibor fisher, alan hollinghurst, david mitchell, gunther grass, all those borges short stories, etc etc.... does any potter volume measure up ortake precedence over these?do i care more about the boy with round specs than say all those strange people in those books??...i guess not...and i guess may be i'm just one of those what you call those non-magic people?... muggles??...whatever...

blackmore Publish time 5-8-2005 08:28 PM

Originally posted by Greenbottle3 at 5-8-2005 19:54:
Blackmore ...what is disturbing ...at least for malaysians...is that the argument that those that read potter will go on reading other stuff is not really correct... will those potter readers go on and read quality books??...will they know how to discern what are considered quality books???...

...quality books...what is the definition of a quality book...wait...let me rephrase that...what is your definiton of a quality book...and how would i tell whether the books im buying are quality books or not??...can i ever noe whether the book is of quality without reading them???...can i??...can i??...:P

..ps..greenie...me excited???...ish...dak arr...mana ada??:P:bgrin:

drBaBy Publish time 5-8-2005 08:40 PM

Originally posted by Greenbottle3 at 5-8-2005 07:54 PM:
drBaby and Ritchie Blackmore ...

ahaaaaa....good that you guys get all excited about this potter thing...
...i thought i mentiond it somewhere..yes...I have not and WILL NOT read potter...yes,...

dear greenbottle...
i have to admit frankly that i dont read all those books that u listed. i may not own half of ur intelligence, neither can i be that serious.

well, however, i still want to blatantly point out that i am going bonkers(let me put it as u put it is) over this harry potter, juz merely because I ENJOY, yes i DO enjoy the book so much that i cant wait to lay my fingers on the next volume as fast as i can. and i dont believe myself to be one of the victim of the marketing ploy this company having. because even if they dont make such a fuss over the release, i would undoubtedly be among the first to get it in the bookstore. no doubt about it. i am 100 percent positive.

and i dont see it asa sin to like my round specs hero in a robe.

[ Last edited by drBaBy on 5-8-2005 at 08:43 PM ]

drBaBy Publish time 5-8-2005 08:49 PM

and since u said that u dont want to read potter just because u dont want to be part of hype , well....what are u trying to potray? that u are different? well, i respect ur choice of books. but hello? ur statements...are u trying to make urself superior than the others? that we who read potters are beneath u? plz la...

u are biased. and rigid.and may i add cynical. and u have no right watsoever to comment in the first place coz u never tried to read one book. if u do and u found it 'sampah' then u may air ur views...

something which maybe is of good quality to u, may look like sampah or not good enuf for others.

[ Last edited by drBaBy on 5-8-2005 at 09:02 PM ]

drBaBy Publish time 5-8-2005 08:59 PM

greenbottle dear,

and oh, by the way, i used to be crazy over some other books too....my choices of books wont measure up to ur high quality list, though.

and what good does it make if u buy 'high quality' books, yet they have time to gather dusts on ur bookshelves? just for exhibition, i presumed..:P

blackmore Publish time 5-8-2005 09:24 PM

Originally posted by drBaBy at 5-8-2005 20:49:
and since u said that u dont want to read potter just because u dont want to be part of hype , well....what are u trying to potray? that u are different? well, i respect ur choice of books. but hel ...
...wwooooohhhh!!!...relax sis!!...nie baru dikatakan excited nie!!...:lol:lol...

...anyway...jangan misconstrue greenie's posting...dek nie cuma heran saja kenapa orang2 nie semua sanggup buat perkara2 yang dia mentioned earlier tu...:P

...tapikan...aku pon heran gak...kenapa dia ada buku2 yang dia anggap berquality tapi dia tak baca2...dan masih blom baca...tapi just let those quality books collect dust...tak ke dia membazirkan quality buku2 tu????:P:P

...it's good that we share our views here...but..we dont have to feel offended or belittled by comments made by others...i dont think green is trying to be a showoff...betul tak green??:P...but...it's just that he wants to let us noe that he is into those kinds of books.....geezzz...so sis...lightened up sikit arr...:hug::bgrin:

drBaBy Publish time 5-8-2005 10:07 PM

dear blackmore...:)
thanks for pacifying me. hahah..do i sound like too carried away?
well, actually i dont feel belittled ka apa...sbb i takde pun beratur subuh2...i mmg dah preorder my book. amik pun pukul 7 lebih pagi..and takde queue pun.

my frenz pun kutuk2 harry potter. and depa pun same case, tak pernah baca. tgk movie pun tak. aku tak heran, and tak marah. biarlah depa terjun dengan labu labunya.

yang aku hangat skejap tuh....apasal lak nak cakap no one shud go crazy over potter ka apa..pasal marketing ploy ka apa...its ppl choice...ni kan negara demokrasi...and not everyone suka sbb bende tu nampak happening...sbb bende tu diiklan iklankan.
cam haku ni, dah suke, sbb suka buku tuh, suka plot dia, suka cara dia ditulis, nak wat cenggana....

lagipun bukan sume org ada masa nak baca buku berat2... ada org baca utk relaks2, utk enjoy...lain org lain selera, lain org lain citarasa. jgn la nak point buku ni takde quality. org yang baca buku ni mentaliti 8 thn. org baca buku ni takde taste.....

cam roahl dahl sumer tu pun, mmg bagus..aku pun baca and cakap bagus...tapi takde plak aku nak label org baca roahl dahl tu mentaliti 8 thn. alice in woderland tu start dari zaman kanak2 aku mmg tak suka, aku rasa cam tak logik, tak best, cam kanak2 sangat, tapi takde plak aku nak label sapa baca tu kanak2...ntah neraca mana dia pakai nak label buku tu bagus buku tu tak bagus.
sumer tu kan depends on org.

dah dia tu into the heavy high quality good books, go ahead. i wont condemn...i pun takkan comment lelebey pasal buku2 dia pasal tak penah baca...maybe if one day i decide to baca, i will like it too...i never know.

now what i am pointing out is some ppl nye attitude.. look down on other ppl. cam aku sorang je baca buku bagus. haiya...riak tu mek..

drBaBy Publish time 5-8-2005 10:11 PM

anyway, i wont post anymore on this matter.

i believe in HUMAN'S RIGHT.

i make my choice. u make urs.

tutup buku.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
View full version: Potter Hater

ADVERTISEMENT