Sephiroth Publish time 24-5-2005 08:29 AM

Mahabratha Epic - Part 1 of 3

I have been thinking of wanting to start this thread for a VERY long time but due to lack of time and resources, I couldn't start it.

But now, I have brought a book called "Hindusm"by Dr. B. R. Kishore (can be brought from www. diamondpocketbooks.com) and going to buy a few others (hopefully) and online websites which will serve as guide for me to guide to reproduce this epic.

I'm going to split the Epic into 3 parts so the readers can read easily without confusing themselves. But do remember that the Epic is a long and complext one and putting all into one thread will make it too big for the readers.

As some of you may already know, Hindusm split the beginning of Time into four parts (or known as Yugam)- Satya, Treta, Dwapara and Kali (Present Age). In each Age, it is said that God will do something to reset the balance and usher the new Age. At end of the Kali Age, He will destroy all and reset the world as it was at Satya Yugam.

This thread - Part 1 of 3 will be dealing with major events in Satya Yugam.

Next, I will open up a new thread which features Ramayana Epic which was major event during Treta Yugam which lead to beginning of Dwapara.

And finally, another thread to feature the finally part of this thread - Mahabratha which features event from end of Dwapara yugam to some 5,000 years ago and creation of Bhavagad Gita.

May God be with Me. :pray:

[ Last edited by Sephiroth on 24-5-2005 at 08:34 AM ]

Sephiroth Publish time 25-5-2005 09:26 AM

Introduction to Mahabratha Epic - Sage Vyasa Veda

Mahabratha Epic actually collection of "historical events" if you may from early ages before Man to the present time when it was written down by Sage Vyasa Veda.

Till that time, Puranas such as Events during Sayta and Treta Yuga (Vishnu's Avatar and Ramayana Epic) were brought down by means of Oral narrations, done solely by Brahmins who had given the task for ages.

Writing came to India around 3,000 BC with the coming of Aryans people from the Western regions. The Epic Gilgamesh and modern day Science and Archelogical stated that a Great Flood-like event had driven this people into the region of India around 4,500 B.C and with them, they brought together writing which was used in the West as stated in Gilgamesh Epic (clay table form of writing).

With the Invention of the Writing method, Puranas were compiled together to form an Epic which served as historical record and a spiritual guide at the same time.

This task of compiling the puranas was done by a Sage called Vyasa Veda. In till today, I have taught that there was only ONE person named Vyasa and founded odd that such person could appear in Ramayana which said to occurred several thousand years before. In this website, it stated that the name Vyasa is not a person's name but a title given to a great sage withwisdom and compassion needed to bring forth knowledge required for Man, something like the title "Sanzo" in Buddhism which refers to 10 Libraries in India which fills with Buddhism knowledge.

The site below also shows the history of the man who wrote the Mahabratha Epic in Details. I will leave you to read and only take important information to save time. Oh yeah, the site loads slowly, maybe due to people login in to read.

http://www.freeindia.org/biographies/sages/vedavyasa/index.htm

PS : I think some of the humors in Mahabratha Epic comes from his mother's side. :P

Things to remember

While Vyasa Veda was responsible for bring forth Mahabratha Epic, it was Brahma who first introduced the idea to him to do so for benefict of Mankind in later years (in Kali Yuga). Vyasa Veda, being a Man, afraid he doesn't have enough wisdom to write it down and Lord Brahma managed to persuade Ganesha, Lord Shiva's elder Born, to come down and assist in writing it down.

Later, after the task is finish, Vyasa Veda still not satisfied with the entire performance, thinking there was something lacking. The Heavenly Sage, Narada came around and helped out by giving some pointers as well, thus Mahabratha Epic and Bhavagad Gita is formed into the form we see today.

http://www.webonautics.com/mythology/narada2.html

[ Last edited by Sephiroth on 25-5-2005 at 09:30 AM ]

Sephiroth Publish time 31-5-2005 08:49 AM

I have been thinking about possible indication of actual events which promoted to events which stated in Mahabratha Epic for some time now.

While not much investigations have been done by Academy People of the World regarding this events in Mahabratha Epic and simply brush it aside as "Myth" (which is annoying since events in books such as Bible, Al Quran and Gilgamesh Epic is considered historical notes and keen research is conduct around it, very little is done by Hindu Scientist and Researchers regarding thier own beliefs). I myself have meet several people who have spoke out that Epics such as Mahabratha is nothing more than old folks tale, and this are so-called highly educated Hindus. ;)

In my beliefs, Mahabratha Epics (from early Satya Yugam all the way to current Kali Yugam) is record of events since creation of the Planet. There are several events in the History which can be considered have major similarities between what is stated (in poetic and many exaggerated ways) in Mahabratha Epic to what had happened onto the World.

First, I like to get one thing clear ... many people believe Mahabratha Epic speaks of Creation, Lives and current predicament of Human race.

I for one do not believe so. Unlike the Bible and Al Quran which stated the beginning of Man (in Genesis), Mahabratha doesn't really show a real beginning, just that Man now are product of relations between early Men and other sentient beings. In another word, Man wasn't created, he was born from the Planet and refined by the Planet itself to current intelligent, physical and spiritual level.

OK, I will add Mahabratha Epic slowly later. Note - the above is MY belief toward this Epic.

[ Last edited by Sephiroth on 31-5-2005 at 08:51 AM ]

Sephiroth Publish time 31-5-2005 11:01 AM

Every Epic tells the Beginning and so does Mahabratha. Beginning of this Epic is not the beginning of Man (as featured in other books such as Al Quran and the Bible) but the beginning of the Creation itself.

Those who follow my "Who is Who in Hindusm" thread, could know roughly the beginning of the Creation. Lord Brahma, born from the navel of Lord Vishnu, wanted to create Life but unsuccessful at first simply because ALL Life must have an end and a recyclation, without it, Brahma will just continue to fill the Universe with Lifeforms and that is a waste of energy, space and time.

Therefore, Lord Brahma issued Lord Shiva to undertake the duty of annihaltions of Life and Rebirth, thus the Wheel of Life, Death and Rebirth has commenced in the Universe (and the World) as we know it.

Beginning of Lord Brahma itself requires a close examination. It is stated (in Veda Sastra) that Lord Brahma born to the Universe in shape of a Golden Egg, which then "opened" and become a Lotus flower from which Lord Brahma sits and begins His work of Creation.

According to Scientists, the Universe itself was born from a single "entity -like object" (if we can call it an object, due to lack of proper words) which then expanded in a violent explosion which is dubbed as the Big Bang and in this explosion, Universe took shapes. Both the Vedas (which was over 5,000 years old) and Science seems to be in agreement here on how the Universe came to be.

Thus, Universe is born, the stars, planets and other celestial objects begin to take shape. On Planet Earth (in Hindusm, it is known as Pulu Logem, which simply means Flower Realm, probably due to the "softer nature" of the Planet compared to its sister Planets in other parts of the Solar System), Life as we know it begins as well.

Mankind is not the first Born, nor he is given special "seat" by God as stated in Al Quran or the Bible. Man is just one of the Sentient Beings, born from the Planet. In Ramayana Epic, it is stated that the Giants (a sub-class of Human-like lifeform), looked down on humans, Dewas didn't bother much about them, while Lord Vishnu, Lord Shiva and Lord Brahma hold Humans with high standards, stating that Humans are capable of great feats like the Dewas.

[ Last edited by Sephiroth on 31-5-2005 at 11:03 AM ]

Sephiroth Publish time 1-6-2005 08:55 AM

OK, added some more.

If you have read the "Who is Who" thread, you should be familiar with Dewas, Asuras, Giants (known as Arakans ... Accadians?:hmm: ) and Humans. If you know, then this post is to tell you briefly about them.

The 1st Race are not Humans but Dewas and Asuras. Dewas are celestial beings, taking their nature and forms from the Elements itself and resides in a realm known as the Heaven (Syurga Logem). In Abrahamic Religions, they can be considered as Angels and Elemental Beings.

Asuras are the opposite of Dewas. They are also born from the Elements, but they are rigid in nature.Asuras have deep hatred toward Lord Vishnu due to their beliefs that Lord Vishnu had supported the Dewas more than He did them. Also, they believe that they are supposed to be the rightful rulers of the Heaven and constanly fight in order to take over the Heavens. They inhabit a realm known as Padalam (Literally means the Pit) and in early Mahabratha Epic, inhabited the Ocean floors. In Abrahamic Religions, they can be considered Jins and Demons.

The 3rd Race are the Giants.

The Giants or Arakans are a race from unknown parts of the World but inhabited the Planet along with Humans who were born much later. The Giants do not bother with Humans because they believe that the Giants were better and more intelligence than the new "hairless Apes" which appeared and scrup for a living.

The Giants are known for their eagerness to rule, very knowledgeable in the art of War, Building and Science, extremely devoted to what they do and have series of negavite treads such as fool-hardly, impatience, lustful, easily to be control by anger and lack of ability to solve problems in ANYWAY other than through violence.

However, some of the best devotees of Lord Shiva and Vishnu comes from the Giant Race, such as Pralathan and Pali, among others.

And the last (4th) race is Humans. I don't believe I need to inform anyone about their characteristics. :)

According to Historians, Humans shared the Planet with other Human-like beings such as the Neanthals in the West who were bigger and skillful in building tools. However, Humans are more advanced, and capable of outsmarting and outhunting the Neanthals of their food sources. So, in terms of survivals, Humans have outlived Neanthals as the more domain species.

According to Mahabratha Epic, the Giants didn't disappear straightaway, but some of them have "procreated" with modern Humans thus bring forth a mixture of genes in the Gen Pool of Humans. That is why Humans are said to have "Arakan's" (Giant's) attitude such as fool-hardly, laziness, sense of Violence etc in them.

Sephiroth Publish time 2-6-2005 09:49 AM

Whenever Dharma, or the situation of law and order, is endangered on this world, I incarnate onto this world to re establish Dharma, law and order, and to protect the Sadhus or saints and to detroy the evil elements of the society.

That was the Promise of Lord Narayan, Perserver of the Universe and Hindusm's God (from which all other Dewas and MahaDewa works and active in).

However, in order for Dharma to be established over the time, good must undergo some sort of challenge and Universe created by Lord Brahma and Wheels of Karma set by Lord Shiva was in perfect harmony that Evil didn't seems to have a place in it. So, Lord Vishnu set things in motions.

Jaya and Vijaya are two Gandhavas (something like Angels in Abrahamic Religions). They were created out of Lord Vishnu's Ears and they were set as guards to the Gate to Lord Vishnu's abode, Vishnu Logem.

One day, some Sages came to Vishnu Logem to pray and get Lord Vishnu's blessing. Seeing the sages, the two guards stopped them. The sages inform them of their purpose of coming but the guards didn't let them in, stating that Lord Vishnu is sleeping and the Sages cannot disturb Him. The Sages got angry because of their attitude and curse that since the guards have their arrogance and pride (as Guardians of the Gate to Vishnu Logem), they are to be reborn as beings on lower plains (Earth and such). The Sages left angrily and the guards, surprised at this, quickly went to see Lord Vishnu regarding the matter. They pleaded that they did what they were told to do and there was no fault in their actions.

Lord Vishnu told them that they had NO rights to stop His devotees from coming to see Him, however, He is not without mercy. He modified the curse a bit. They still have be reborn to the lower plains but now, they have two options.

Option 1 - Reborn 7 times as a good person and at the end of the 7th rebirth, they will receive Moksha and return back to Vishnu Logem.
Option 2 - Reborn as bad person 3 times and died in lower plains. On the end of the 3rd rebirth, they will be allowed to return back to Vishnu Logem.

Since both eager to return back to their Lord as soon as possible, they choose to be reborn as bad people on plains (Option 2), with ONE condition - that they are to die by His hands alone in each birth. Lord Vishnu agreed and blessed them.

Thus, the Stage is Set.

[ Last edited by Sephiroth on 2-6-2005 at 09:51 AM ]

Sephiroth Publish time 8-6-2005 10:36 AM

I have been in state of dillema in how to go about here. During my research in Kurma Avatar, I found out some logical events in History of the Planet which could provide a logical explaination on what has happened. However, if such event was actually true, then it should predate Mastya (Fish) Avatar of Lord Vishnu.

In Matsya Avatar, Lord Vishnu perseverved Mankind and all other lifeforms by appearing as a Fish which pull the boat in the Great Flood (similar to what the Great Flood Event in Bible and Al Quran), however, both Science and History shows that Mankind didn't appear upon this world till about 250,000to 2.3 Million years ago..

Furthermore, the chronological order of the 9 Incarnation of Lord Vishnu matches the Evolutional Cycle of Life on the Planet itself - from water-based lifeform (Fish), to invertable and amphilian-like life form (turtle) and continue to evolve out of water and onto the Land to present day Man and other diversity which exists now.

So, obvious and most logical explaination for both events to be true to actual events in the world is, Mankind have no knowledge of what had happened to them in the past till after the Great Flood Events (Kurma Avatar), so Lord Visnhu made His present known to Man and thus beginning the first signs of official Divine Intervention in History of Mankind.

Man (after surviving the Great Flood) begin to write down such events as it exists in Mahabratha now, not knowing that the sequence of events were ochestrated (by Him) in a way to show God in Scientific approach, maybe because He knows that in Kali Yuga (Present Age), Man will have problem believing in existence of God unless He shows signs in forms which Man can understand and accept.

Evolution is one of accepted explaination on how Human come about but Evolution and Science without God's intervention and Religion without Scientific approach are both dull and illogical, So, God shows His sign even before problem (or Mankind for that matter) began. :)

According to History, in around 4,600 B.C, an event like what described as the Great Flood occurred in parts of Mesotaphamia Region, and maybe up to India. We know that around this time, water level had risen dramastically due to melting of ice polars in north and south region of the Planet and Mesotaphamian lived in lower lands. This flood pushed the people who were good in writing at that time to leave and disperse to India and Egypt.

In India, black-skinned people already inhabited that region and built their own civilzation, but what they were lacking were writing skills. All history of their ancestors (who probably were the same ones who had come from Africa in the Great Migration some 250,000 years ago).

Using this writing skills which brought by the new-arrivals (which later known as Aryans), the ancient people of India begins to write down their orally perserved heritage into Epics such as the present day Mahabratha and Ramayana Epic.
And, probably due to influence of the Aryans, the beginning of Man is fashioned in a way that Mankind which exists now were survivors of the Great Flood.

This approach is not uncommon or unique and not something I cooked up myself. It is basically logical. We look at Veda Vyasa's approach in writing. He was part of the events which he wrote down later (at beginning of kali Yuga, after the entire events of Mahabratha was over).

In a way, he wrote in past tense, writing in present time while viewing the events as past history. In same manner, Man started to write past history with Mastya Avatar (Fish Avatar) as beginning (of Mankind).

Note : I'm not changing any sequence here, just stating my approach. All this writing is based on my own opinion so if there is a sin, it is Mine alone. Thank You. :)

Sephiroth Publish time 8-6-2005 02:40 PM

Matsya Avatar

This is Hindu version of the Great Flood, with a few added details more than Abrahamic Religions' version.

Manu was a Sage who was living with his wife. Some say he was a King. Either way, one day, Lord Vishnu came forth and inform him stated that the World is about to be destroyed in a Great Flood and instructed him to gather seeds and animals, together with 7 Great Hermit Sages.

According to Vishnu Purana, Manu didn't (have to) built a boat to support all this animals. Lord Vishnu had provided the boat for him, and all he had to do was collect all the animals and seeds needs. And unlike Abrahamic Religions where his wife turned into a pillar of salt, in Hindusm, she assisted in her husband's task devoteely. Also, when the task is complete, the boat was taken back by Lord Vishnu.

This could be the reason why no large boat was every found by Man later (the one which stated to be found in 1960s in Arafat Mountain was proven to be nothing more than mudslide which was shaped like a boat in 1980 by a committee in Australia).

Time came for the Flood. Lord Shiva started His task for annihilating everything. The boat which promised appeared and Manu had invited the 7 Sages to come and take shelter. He placed the seeds and animals into the boat and soon, water rised and drowned the rest. Dewas were in the Heaven and Asuras were comfortable in the sea as well as in the Pit.

However, due to the increasing water, storms become violent and the boat rock badly. Manu and his companions feared that everyone will perish in the storm and pleaded to God for help. Hearing their plead, Lord Vishnu incarnated (create a physical form with His Maya energy) into Mastya Avatar - form of a very large Fish. Using Vasuki (many headed Serpant which is Lord Vishnu's bed) as an anchor, He tied the boat and used Himself as a guide to pull the boat to safety, saving Manu and his companions from drowning.

In Abrahamic Religion, it was Mountain Arafat. In Hindusm, the mountain was known as Himawan. The boat came down there and when water resided, Manu and his companion came down from the Boat. Lord Vishnu present Himself to them, blessed them and gave the Vedas to them as guidance for Man in the future and vanished.
Thus, that is how Vedas came about.

Sephiroth Publish time 10-6-2005 02:17 PM

Events before Matsya Avatar - Guru Sukyacharya

Before Matsya Avatar begins, there is several insidence which must told before hand.

Asuras (Demons) and Dewas (Angels) have been at each others' throat since the beginning of time and creation itself. Unlike in Abrahamic religions where Angels were potrayed as beings without egos and pride, Hindusm potray them as more toward human-like traits such as pride, Ego, lust and such. Demons on the other hand are similar to what potrayed in Abrahamic Religion, however, this Asuras are also known for their stubborness in trying to achieve what they want - whether in term of lust for power or devotion toward the Divine.

The battle between Dewas and Asuras went on forever and either side were winning or losing. Dewas hold steady in Heaven while Asuras in the Pit (known as Paatalam Logem). Either winning or losing and either have any clear advantage or disadvantage.

About this time, a great Sage of the Demon world - Sukracharya were born and become teacher to all Demons. Sukyacharya knows well that blindly attacking the Dewas (while they have support of Lord Vishnu, even so He seems to be neutral) is stupid. So, Sukracharya decided to devote his life in obtain power and advantage over the Dewas in order to help the Demons. One way was to approach Lord Shiva, the embodiment of Power and Control of the Universe.

At the same time, Lord Vishnu called for Indra, Ruler of Heaven to His abode. Lord Vishnu (knowing well Sukracharya's intentions) instructed Indra to go to Lord Shiva and obtain from Him the great mantra - Shanjeevi Mantra which capable of reviving ANY fallen warrior who died in battlefield. Indra, not knowing why Lord Vishnu stated such, agreed and went to Lord Shiva.

Much to both parties' surprises, Indra and Sukracharya arrived at the same time at Lord Shiva's abode. They bid each other greetings and bowed to Lord Shiva.

To both surprised (and probably to Lord Shiva's amusement), both wanted Shanjeevi Mantra. Gameplay with Lord Shiva was a simple one - in order to obtain ANYTHING, the person who seeks the boon MUST prove his worth (to Lord Shiva) by doing severe penance and tapas which tests the mind, body and spirit of the person.

So, Lord Shiva decided to give them a test. He asked them to :

1. Tied to a tree with his feet up (tied down) and head down.
2. The person (while been tied down) must sustain himself ONLY by burning dry leaves (below his head) and absorbing the smoke.
3. And this two tasks MUST be done simultaneously AND for a period of a YEAR.

[Note : In combustion, it is found out that molecules of whatever fuel burns sometimes escape combustions. When you burn dry leaves, parts of the leaves sometimes escape combustions and have particals inside which is still intact. Even in air we breath, it is product of burning of food in the cells. By stating that a being CAN sustain himself by smoke, Mahabratha explains that there in particules which escaped total combustion in the air which obviously unseen by the naked eyes).

So ... imagine Indra's face, who was indulging himself in heaven with fine wine, food and entertainment when he was told that he needs to be hanged upside down from a tree, sucking up dry air for a year in order to get what he wanted. :cak:

Lord Shiva asked both of them if they willing to do it and Sukracharya was willing to attempt. Indra accept it with half-hearted agreement and both left Lord Shiva's adobe.

Back in Heaven, however, Indra changed his mind, stating that the penance of such is too severe and NO ONE could possibly success in performing it. He continued to indulge himself with entertainment, food and wine despite of agreeing to do it to Lord Vishnu and Lord Shiva..

While Guru Sukrachayra instructed his demon students to gather and told them what must be done. The students tried to persuade him not to commence such drastic penance but Guru Sukrachayra's determination to ensure victory for the Demons pushed their pleads aside.

He instruct them to tied him upside down to a tree and lit a fire below him. He instructed his students not to let the fire go out, whatever happens and his students, heavy-heartedly accept his requests.

Days passed, then months. Indra continued to indulge himself, thinking Guru Sukyachayra will give up at any moment; but as time passes, his fear begins to increase. Guru Sukracharya doesn't seems to show any sign of giving up and time period of a year is almost over.

Some Purana stated that in order to stop Sukyacharya from succeeding, Indra had instructed his daughter to go and disturb his penance. Indra's daughter came down from heaven and pour dry chillies into the fire, laughing.

The hot smoke from this fire raised up and when Guru Sukyacharya absorbed it, he begin to suffer to the point that his blood poured out from nose, eyes and mouth. He didn't stop mumbling Lord Shiva's name even then. Indra's daughter, seeing the man in pain, become griefed by what she had done and fled the scene. When his students came, they wanted to save him but the penance (duration) is almost complete and stopping the fire now means getting wrath of their teacher for spoilting a year's penance. Heavily heartedly, they left the spot.

Guru Sukracharya continued to suffer as long as the chillies in the fire burnt but he was not willing to stop his penance. Finally, Lord Shiva come forth and put the fire out. He blessed and healed Guru Sukracharya, stating that his penance was completed and he was given the Shanjeevi Mantra which he wanted. With that, the demons have the advantage they seek for a long time.

Sephiroth Publish time 21-6-2005 09:43 AM

Enter Mastsya Avatar

With the clear advantage of Shanjeevi mantra (obtain from Lord Shiva) on their side, Guru Sukracharya instructed his demon students to prepare for battle. With this, war began.

Indra and others faced them in battle. One by one, division of demons were killed by Indra but they revived by Guru Sukrachayra using the Shanjeevi Mantra. But as dewas falls, no one revive them. Soon, the odds are against Indra and others as number of demons exceed those of dewas. Indra's nightmare was coming through.

Not knowing what to do, they rushed back to Lord Vishnu for His assistance, only to get scolding for Indra's selfishness early. Lord Vishnu informed them that they need an equal advantage as Shanjeevi Mantra and that could only be
Amiratham or Elixir of Life, which is obtain from the Oceans of the world. Some say it is from the Ocean of Milk from where Lord Vishnu rested but I believe it was Oceans of the World (which we live in, with a particular theory of my own).

Indra and Dewas were happy with this revealation but more to come. It seems that Lord Vishnu wasn't about to let them have it easily, without at least, breaking their backs first. :P

ONLY way to get Amiratham was to churn the Oceans of the Sea. One of the mountains - Mahameru, will be used as grinder. It was to be placed over the Ocean and someone have to push and pull mountain repeatedly so the water will be drawn in and churned so the Amirthan will be produced. Vasuki, the many-headed serpeant who is Lord Vishnu's bed above the Milk Ocean volunteered to be the rope to tied around the mountain.

But there still the act of getting the Asuras to agree to help because Dewas alone do not have enough strenght to do this alone, especially since the Dewas just suffered massive defeat in the battlefield.

Lord Vishnu suggested to Indra to invite the Asura King and his men, by offering them a share of Amiratham. While Shanjeevi mantra is powerful and ensures their survival in the battlefield, it is not immortality. Asuras still die in normal causes so Amiratham, which ensures immortality is a price they couldn't refuse. Furthermore, their teacher, Guru Sukracharya is a mortal being, so at least by giving him immortality, the Asuras will have someone who will forever ensure their victory against the Dewas.

So, Indra went to Asura king and proposed that they help the Dewas churn the ocean. The Asuras probably too happy with prospect of having a share of Amiratham to think that with Amiratham, Dewas could overcomes them and Shanjeevi mantra and they will be in deadlock again. The Asuras agreed to help, even with Guru Sukracharya disagree with it.

Anyway, with both parties agreed to help churn the ocean. The Mahameru mountain was removed from its foundation and brought to the ocean. It set onto the surface of the water with the Lord of the Snake, Vasuki coil around it. Dewas offered to hold onto to the head section of the Snake Lord (probably due to Lord Vishnu's instruction), but Asuras insisted they have the head and Dewas took the tail. The poisonous breath of Vasuki was a poison which they didn't thought off.

Just after the operation began, something happened. The mountain itself begin to sink (probably due to shape of the mountain which is sharp upward). So, Lord Vishnu created a vessel using His Maya energy. That vessel have taken a shape of a giantic turtle which went underneath the waters, below the mountain and allow the mountain to rest upon its' massive shells. With the sinking had stopped, both Dewas and Asuras begin to push and pull Vasuki, turning the mountain left and right like a giant grinding stone, on top of Mastya Avatar's back (which serves as grinder). The force of the mountain turning left and right pushed the water onto the centre where the grinding process occurred. Thus, the churning of the Ocean occurred.

It is not stated how long but out of the Ocean, comes various objects - the Lord of the Horse and a White Elephant (which later used by Indra as vehicle to go to war) was one of them. Note - Both are creatures with backbones. Also, out of the Ocean, comes Lord Vishnu's Disc weapon. Despite the effects, Amiratham was not in sight.

Not sure how long the process lasted, but Vasuki begin to suffer of being pushed and pulled continously. Couldn't withstand any longer, Vasuki vomitted his poison onto the world. Fearing it will destroy the World, Lord Shiva who was watching with the rest, quickly spurn to action. He caught the poison onto a bowl and without thinking twice, swallow the poison up so it will not jeapodize the world. His consort, Parvathi, fearing for Her Lord's existence, prevented the poison from entering the throat by stopping it at the throat.

Sephiroth Publish time 23-6-2005 08:53 AM

Distributing Amithram

It took the all the effects of both Asuras and Dewas to finally produce Amiratham from the Oceans. Both parties were exhausted after the long tasks and agreed that Lord Vishnu (seeing that He had helped with His turtle Vessel) will hold on to Amiratham and distribute it evenly when time comes. Lord Vishnu gathered the Amiratham and kept it aside and both parties rested.

When appointed time comes for distribution to occur, both Dewas and Asuras are to come to a certain place for distribution but Lord Vishnu (in order to make sure the balance is equal) have no intentions of distributing any to the Asuras. So, He created Mohini - female dancer from His Maya (illusion) Energy and send her to the Asuras.

Mohini arrive there just before the Asuras about to leave and begin to dance. Asuras, enchanted by her beauty, forgotten about the reason for their departure and stayed to watch her dance.

Meanwhile, Dewas assembled in the hall where Lord Vishnu instructed them to assemble and about to distribute the Amiratham. One of the Asuras who were not with the others sneak in, disguise himself as a Dewa and mingled into the crowd, hoping he could get some Amiratham before his friends (other Asuras) could arrive.

Lord Vishnu begin to distribute the Amiratham one by one to the Dewas and when He reached the Asura, he took partook some of the Amiratham before Lord Vishnu noticed him. Angered by his presence, Lord Vishnu used His disc weapon and severed the Asura's head.

But, because the Asura just drank Amiratham, his body couldn't perish. Instead, his body and head (deattached now) become Kedu and Raghu (two separate beings which later referred to two constellations which determines Man's fortune). It is said that if Kedu and Raghu influence your life, you will lose your common sense and proper judgement and thus, cause chaos in your own life.

One may wonder why, Lord Vishnu, who knows everything in the Universe, didn't prevent Himself from giving Amiratham to the Asura who become Kedu and Raghu in the first place. The answer lies in the actions of Kedu and Raghu in later puranas when he influence many Men, Sage and Demons alike into waging war against Dewas, Mankind and against Lord Shiva and Lord Vishnu.

Anyway, the Amiratham was finished distributing to all the Dewas and when Asuras arrived, they found out this and felt cheated. War broke out.

This time, both parties seems to be in equal and balance terms. Asuras fought like waves upon waves, with Guru Sukrachayra reviving the fallen ones at every turn while Dewas, now being immortals, stood out like a wall to break the waves. Either had any clear advantage or disadvantage as it was before Guru Sukracharya was given the Shanjeevi Mantra.

[Note : Many could wonder if Lord Vishnu's actions of cheating the Asuras were a proper one. Then again, strategically speaking, the whole process of churning the Ocean is not required if Lord Vishnu could just kill Guru Sukrachayra who was the pillar of strenght for the Asuras.

So why did He went to all those trouble of allowing Guru Sukrachayra to obtain Shanjeevi Mantra, Churning the Ocean and fooling the Asuras when He could simple off Guru Sukrachayra?

Answer ... because His role is not to judge who is right and who is wrong alone, His duty is to ensure that balance of good and evil is in proper balance. A perfect world will not promote perfect devotion ... pure devotion to God or imperfect devotion with utter motives such as desire for Heaven or voiding Hell can be determined ONLY when the devotees are severely tested, which is the morale of this Purana Story.

PS : I also have my own opinions about this matter based on Historical events, but that is for later. ]

[ Last edited by Sephiroth on 24-6-2005 at 07:21 AM ]

saifulms Publish time 24-6-2005 12:48 AM

:)
tumpang lalu jer.....:bye:

Sephiroth Publish time 28-6-2005 01:14 PM

[IMPORTANT NOTE : The following theory is my own, due to my own thinking. So, if it is wrong and not accordance to Hindusm, it is my own mistake. ]

Furthermore, I believe a True Religion is one which can give accurate accounts on Biological andHistorical and Hindusm (and Buddhism) is those religion.

I have been thinking about this for a long time, since an old teacher of mine (a Hindu) proclaimed that such puranas as this are mere stories and do not hold any truth to it. He (like many modern Hindus) believe that Hindusm are merely stories which made into teaching morale to others and nothing more - a mere fable stories of the Greek, fairy tales and nothing more.

After so much studying of the puranas, history and science, I have some links to such puranas to possible events in history of Mankind which could contribute to this.

Pre-Cambrian Explosion Era

According to history, the early microboes which lived in the sea before Cambrian Explosion Era (some 500 Million years ago), were facing massive extinction due to some factors like increase of Oxygen, increase in temperature etc. There was a large gap in the sea due to extinction in massive levels.

This occurance similar to the facts that Dewas was in brink of losing before Lord Vishnu decided to do something about it. And, unlike Abrahamic Religion which speaks nothing of Heaven's actions, many Non-Abrahamic Religions (such as Hindusm and Taoism) contribute trumoil in heaven (and in some instance, hell itself) to conditions which occurred on the Planet itself.

So, by stating the Dewas were in brink of destruction (due to Shanjeevi Mantra) and that the Asuras will take over the three worlds - Heaven, Hell (the Pit) and Earth due to their actions, it doesn't fall far from the fact that before Cambrian Explosion, the world were about to become barren of life due to massive extinction of early lifeforms (due to changes in the atmosphere and conditions on the world itself).

Cambrian Explosion

Cambrian Explosion is one of the most important events in History of the Planet. It was the reasons why creatures we see today could exist, including Mankind.

Evolutionist (those who support Evolution) however have problem with trying to measure why Cambrian Explosion occured (ONCE) in the first place. If the event such as it occurred several times, then Scientists could study the environment and conditions which enable the Explosion to occur. Unfortunately, no other "Explosion" occurred after that one and Scientists have hard time trying to cook a right formula to mimic the Explosion the second time.

From what they know, it seems that the Earth went into what known as a True Polar Wander. In this occurrance, "something" made the world turn 45 degrees (slowly) to the point that north pole was in where today's Bahamas, Africa and Malaysia is located (and the nearest point toward the sun).

Also, something promoted growth of algae devouring microoganisms which started to pray upon Blue-Green Algae (which was dying due to Oxygen polution which created by its own self, much like Humans nowadays are "dying" due to Carbon Dioxide pollutions created by their own lungs.

In due course of time (a SHORT 40 million years), organisms with what known as Mitochondria had born and evolved, new beings with tougher shells (which needed in order to develop muscles later) appeared. New biological functions also occurred such as teeth, shells, ability to move and such.

Scientists have been looking for that "Something" which made all this possible, without any luck.

Linking Kurma Avatar to Cambrian Explosion

Scientific background - sea almost empty due to mass extinction before pre-Cambrian Explosion.

Hindusm background - Heaven in turmoil and the Dewas almost lost.

By Science and Western point of View, both situations have nothing to do with each other. In religion point of view, however, it could said that it was the war between Dewas and Asuras which led to the world almost deterioting.

Dewas need something to fight back and Lord Vishnu suggested of churning the Ocean to get Amiratham. You know how it goes, so no need to repeat it twice. Kurma Avatar is formed, used as a place to place the mountain and using Vasuki, Lord of the Snakes as rope, both Dewas and Asuras begin to churn the ocean.

Out of the Ocean came other organisma like a white horse, Lord of the Mane and a White Elephant. Note that both are creatures with backbones. Also, Lord Vishnu's disc weapon (rounded object with saw-like edge which cutting ability).

And finally Amiratham - elixir of Immortality.

Now, Scientific Point of View - one could wonder where does all this leads? Elixir of Immortality? Any scientist will push it aside as a fantasy.

But here's some fact :

During and after Cambrian Explosion, creatures which appeared has upgraded functions such as hardened shells (for better protection), stronger backbones (to support the hardened shells), capability of gnawing into other lifeforms (especially Green-Blue Algae which was destroying itself by emiting Oxygen) and such.

This could explain the existence of the Lord of the Mane and the White elephant (both are creatures with soft features but supported by backbones which support their massive features and gives them ability to move faster and develop muscles).

Also, creation of round shelled crab-like organisma (shell-fish) like Triobite appeared during Cambrian Explosion. This new creatures had one features which no other creature before had - saw-like teeth (which could explain Lord Vishnu's Disc-like weapon with saw-like edge) which enable them to consume other lifeforms, including Blue-Green Algae.

Finally, we come to the major question - What is Amiratham?

Logically speaking, I believe Amiratham is actually a form of chemical compound which is similar, or maybe is same as Mitochondria which exists in all lifeform today.

Mitochondria according to Scientists are a separate organisma (probably like Blue-Green Algae which went into an endosymbiotic with early organisma which later become descendant of every lifeforms on this Planet. Due to the long period of time (nearly 500 Million years since the Symbosis relationship occurred), the traces of the original organisma which later become Mitochondria in today's lifeforms had been lost, leaving only fragment of DNA which is separate from the Nucleous.

What IF the Churning process was actually process of refining this micro-organisma into another component which later known as Amiratham - Elixir of Immortality?

OK ... I can guess a lot of people will be laughing at this right about now, saying I have a wild imagination without any proof. Here's some arguements which I hope to provide as proof :

1. Mitochondria is energy powerhouse in all lifeforms including plants. It didn't come to play (actively) till Cambrian Explosion. After that, almost all new lifeform which emerged had traced of Mitochondria in it.

IF I believe that Cambrian Explosion IS what known to Hindus as Churning of the Sea by Lord Vishnu, then Mitochondria could be one of the(OR the final product) which enabled Evolution to take place. Therefore, Mitochondria, or maybe the original version of this power-house is what the Dewas were after in form of Amiratham.

2. Evolution itself cannot possibly start without organisma evolving new functions and features, and it is already stated that Pre-Cambrian Sea were empty due to mass extinction. Therefore, "something" new must added into the Evolution in order to give Life an extra boost it requires to evolve new features, and that something was Mitochondria.

Sephiroth Publish time 28-6-2005 01:22 PM

Further Self-Studies :

http://www.quantumconsciousness.org/penrose-hameroff/cambrian.html
- Quantum Consciousness.

For it's first 3.5 billion years or so ("pre-Cambrian period") life seems to have evolved slowly, producing only single cells and a few simple multicellular organisms. The most significant life forms for the first 2 billion years of this period were algae and bacteria-like prokaryotes. Then, about 1.5 billion years ago, eukaryotic cells appeared apparently as symbiotic mergers of previously independent organelles (mitochondria, plastids) with prokaryotic cells. According to biologist Lynn Margulis (Margulis, 1975; Margulis and Sagan, 1995) microtubules and the dynamically functional cytoskeleton were also outside additions, originating as independent motile spirochetes which invaded prokaryotes and formed a mutually favorable symbiosis. Prokaryotic cells provided a stable, nourishing environment and biochemical energy to the spirochetes who reciprocated by cytoskeletal-based locomotion, sensation, mitosis and differentiation. Pre-Cambrian eukaryotic cells continued to slowly evolve for another billion or so years, resulting only in simple multicellular organisms. Then, in a rather brief 10 million years beginning about 540 million years ago (the beginning of the "Cambrian period"), there apparently occurred a world-wide dramatic acceleration in the rate of evolution: the "Cambrian explosion." A vast array of diversified life abruptly emerged: all the phyla from which today's animals are descended (e.g. Gould, 1989).

Can a particular biological functionality be identified that critically enhanced adaptation, survivability and mutation? Did purposeful, intelligent behavior accelerate evolution? The idea that behavior can directly alter genetic code formed the basis of an eighteenth century evolutionary theory by Jean-Baptiste Lamarck. No supportive evidence was found to show that behavior directly modified genetics, and "Lamarckism" was appropriately discredited.

The question of whether behavior can alter the course of evolution indirectly was discussed by Schré°€inger (1958) who offered several examples (Scott, 1996). A species facing predators and harsh environment might best survive by producing a large number of offspring for cooperative support. Such a rapidly reproducing species is ripe for accelerated evolutionary development (Margulis and Sagan 1995). Another example is a species which finds a new habitat (moving onto land, climbing trees. . .) to which adaptation is facilitated by supporting mutations. Changes in behavior can also favor chance mutations which reinforce original changes, resulting in closed causal loops or positive feedback in evolutionary development (Scott, 1996). Generally, intelligent behavior can enhance a species' survivability and the opportunity for mutation by avoiding extinction.

Other Reading materials :

http://pr.caltech.edu/media/lead/072497JLK.html
http://www.ruf.rice.edu/~bioslabs/studies/mitochondria/mitorigin.html
http://hoopermuseum.earthsci.carleton.ca/camex/1ahome.html
http://www.cascadia.ctc.edu/facultyweb/instructors/jvanleer/camb%20expl/The_Cambrian_Explosion.htm
http://serc.carleton.edu/introgeo/earthhistory/cryptozo.html

Sephiroth Publish time 4-7-2005 08:56 AM

Kurma Avatar Purana :

1. Dewas lost badly to Asura. Environments of the World is effected as well due to the War.

2. Dewas ran to Lord Vishnu for help. Lord Vishnu suggested churning to Ocean for Amiratham. Dewas approach Asuras for help, Asuras agreed.

3. Churning process begin. How long is unknown. Effect - a lot of new lifeforms which didn't exist before appeared. Vasuki vomited poison but Lord Shiva saved the day.

4. Amiratham appeared - Lord Vishnu took it and the rest follows accordingly.

Actual Scientific Facts (follow point to point with above) :

1. Mass Extinction occured before a period known as Cambrian Explosion occured. Scientists found (through fossil records) that almost 80% of the World were covered in Ice and a lot of lifeforms has perished (this is concluded when Scientists found fossil records with their remains).

2. During the Period known as Cambrian Explosion, Scientists found out that "something" had tiled the World at angle of 45 degrees. This titling is known as True Polar Wandering. And Scientists also stated that such phenomena occured several times before as well.

In nutshells, True Polar Wander means North Pole had "wandered off" to where the Equator is today and Equator line is running from north to south like the Polar line is today. This I believe is because of the Pressure from the Churning process had made the World turn 45 degrees.

3. Scientists also found evidence (in form of fossil records) of lifeforms with newer functions after a short 40 million years (period known as Cambrian Explosion).

This features include thicker armours for some lifeforms, teeth to predator-like lifeform, Mitochondria cells emerging within other lifeforms and such, which made beginning stage for Evolution to come.

4. Mitochondria. Studies of it brings new light into its capabilities to rejuvenate human lifeforms. Mitochindria entered an endosymbiosis relationship with other lifeform during the period of Cambrian Explosion, and since then, continued to provide energy for all lifeform.

Matter a fact, today, we have similar lifeform to that of Mitochindria known as Spirulina :
http://www.spirulina.com/SPBSpirulina.html

I believe Mitochondria is the Amiratham which refered to by the Purana because its capability to provide energy. Dewas must have need it because of its energy giving capability, so they will be stronger than Asuras.

You maybe asking if we have Amirtham (all lifeforms HAS Mitochindria in them) in our body, then why don't we live forever?

Answer is in limitations of Mitochondria itself. Mitochindrian genetic undergoes mutations when it mixed with Oxygen. When it takes in glucose and Oxygen, it burns this and release energy known as ATP which used by the body.

However, due to Mitochondria's deal with Oxygen, its genetic material undergoes mutation and those which mutated were rejected from the Mitochindria and swallowed up by the Cell's defense system.

In a long run, as strains of Mitochondrian DNA gets shorter due to above process, so is the energy production. With less and less energy produced and distributed to the body, more and more cells dies and organs begins to lose its functions. And this is the process we called Aging.

IF Dewas are indeed beings who do not use Oxygen to produce energy like in human body, then Mitochondria in their body could not go into mutation and this could give them an unlimited supply of energy for a long period of time - thus immortality.

Also, if you notice that in Hindusm, there is four periods which starts with Satyam Yugam and ends with Kali Yugam. It could make sense that this Yugam is split in four (with declining in each) to mimic the decline of effectiveness of Amiratham in lifeform to support the lifeforms capabilities.

Which means, as time progresses, Humanity will lose more and more its Humanity and Intelligence and derive to become more animalistic in nature. This also means that other evolving lifeforms could take over our place as their Mitochondria reach a new height in evolution.

Sephiroth Publish time 25-7-2005 11:28 AM

Hiranyaksha and Lord Vishnu in Varaha form

Still remember the two fallen Gandhavas (Angel-like beings) from Vishnu logam, named Jaya and Vijaya?

One of them born (to the Asura Queen - Dita) in World of Demons as Hiranyaksha, while his younger brother born as Hiranyakasipu. It is said that the twins are born, the world is plaques by various disasters and ill-omens. The Dewas, who doesn't know what are the origins of all this terrible signs, ran to Lord Vishnu and asked Him about it. Lord Vishnu informed them that the two Gandhavas who have fallen to the Plains below due to a curse from Sages have taken birth in the plains below as Hiranyaksipu and Hiranyaksha and they will come to an end by His hands alone.

The twins grow up in the city of Asuras, which located under the Sea. Every day, they are fueled by notion that they are above Dewas and therefore, the rightful rulers of the three worlds (Heaven, Earth and the Pit).

After the twins had grown up, Hiranyaksha (instructed by his demon guru) to meditated upon Lord Brahma (Lord of Creation) to achieve boon of immortality before starting to war against the Dewas. Hiranyaksha went to an isolated spot and begin to meditate upon Lord Brahma.

After a while, happy with the penance Hiranyaksa had formed for Him, Lord Brahma came down and addressed the elder of the twin, asking him what boon he wanted. Hiranyaksa, informed Lord Brahma that he wished to have a body which no demons, dewas or animals could defeat. When asked by Lord Brahma what sort of animals he couldn't want to defeated by, instead of saying all animals, he gave a list of names of animals and mistakenly left out the name of Boar in it. Lord Brahma agreed and gave him the boon he required. Happy with the boon, Hiranyaksa begin his plunder of the three worlds.

At the same time, Lord Brahma had began the creation of a new Lifeform named Humans. This new lifeforms were said to have the essence of both Asuras and Dewas (virtue and Stubborness) and said to be the most perfect creation Lord Brahma had ever produced. With proper guidance, this new lifeforms will take over the World and make it into a new Heaven where God is worshipped daily and Spiritualism will be a way of Life. Right now, the Heaven is fill with self-indulgement and Hell (the Pit) is filled with Self-Attachment. Only in a few individuals, worship of God can be seen. Lord Brahma was taking steps toward a better world.

Proper guidance which Lord Brahma thought of, for the new Lifeforms, are the Vedas - a set of Rules and Regulations which ensure Man will not forget the Lord and fill his life with meaningful activities during his existence onto the plains below. So, Lord Brahma, under the guidance of Lord Vishnu had brought forward the Vedas (which originally in a single column, given as oral instruction to Man) and kept it at Brahma Loka till suitable time has come.

Lord Brahma also spoke to Lord Shiva who informed Him that the Vedas will be useless to the infant lifeform known as Man if they do not have the proper mentality, intelligence and virtue to understand the teachings. For that to ensure, series of well-orchestrated destructions (by Lord Shiva) is needed to remove obstacles and ensure evolution of Mentality and Spiritualism in Man reach a certain stage before the Vedas were given to them.

Meanwhile, Hiranyaksa got the news about this new Vedas (probably thought as some sort of weapon which can be used against the Demons and Asuras) and decided that such "powerful" weapon should be at hands of the most qualified ones (which are the Asuras). So, he head for Brahma Loka.

Some says Lord Brahma was asleep when Hiranyaksa was there and some says He had went to see Lord Shiva during Hiranyaksa's visit. Whatever maybe, Hiranyaksa arrived at Brahma Loka and found the Vedas. He took it and return back to the Pits.

On the way back, he meet up with the Dewas who pleaded with him to return the vedas to its rightful owner (Lord Brahma). Because of his massive size and powerful weapon (a mace), the Dewas couldn't do anything against him. Infuriated by their annoyance, Hiranyaksa kicked the World (the Land) so hard, it sank into the ocean.

Weak against him, the Dewas ran to Lord Vishnu for help, pleading to Him to save the World and the Vedas from the powerful demon. Lord Vishnu created Varaha Avatar from breath of His nose and the Varaha Avatar (in form of a boar) become big and powerful as it made it was down to the World below.

Hiranyaksa, probably sensing something powerful approaching him turn and looked around for it. To his surprise, he saws a boar, holding a large mace in His hand and powerful tusk, diving deep into the sea below. The demon, who ever so itch to find a new challenger, shouted at the Creature and challenged it to a duel. But Varaha Avatar ignored him and head toward the World which had sank beneath the waves.

Reaching the bottom, Varaha Avatar used its two tusk and lift the World from its foundations and begin to climb upward to the surface. Hiranyaksa, surprised at Its action and probably feeling insulted for it didn't responsed to his challenge, begin to chase after it. Moments later, the Land which sank beneath the waves emerged onto the surface and pushed the Land into its proper place. The Dewas who gathered there rain flowers and praise toward Varaha Avatar.

Following close behind, Hiranyaksa, ever so angry of this turn of event, emerged out of surface and begin to rain his own insult toward the Varaha Avatar for running away. This time, the avatar accepted his challenge and both begin to fight.

And to make long story short, finally, after powerful duel between the two, Varaha Avatar managed to defeat the demon, killing him in the process. The Vedas were retrieved from the fallen demon (who was no other than one of the fallen Gandhavas, thus fullfilling the 1st death by His hands) and returned to the Brahma Loka, to be given to Mankind in later Ages.

[ Last edited by Sephiroth on 25-7-2005 at 11:38 AM ]

Sephiroth Publish time 15-8-2005 02:51 PM

Varaha Avatar and Pangaea Continent

Let's see ... we have finished narrating the story of Varaha Avatar which killed Hirankyaksa and brought the World onto the surface of the world, thus creating place for all life to grow.

Question ... when was the last time the World was in one piece, which could possibly sank under the water, as proclaimed by this Purana? If you ask me, the time could be during the period where the World was a single super continent named Pangaea.

Note this geografical data :

360 million - supercontinent Pangea is forming

330 million - supercontinent Pangea is complete * large winged insects, spiders, and scorpions abundant on land * first reptiles * first evergreen trees * large trees and plants

290 million - widespread extinctions occur among land and sea life (trilobites, brachiopods, ancient corals, many amphibians, trees, and ferns) * great fin-backed reptiles (Dimetrodon) dominant

[Note : Again, widespread destruction occurs just as it did with during the Pre-Cambrian Era. Since the destruction and extinctions occurred both ON land and in the sea, it could be a factor to show that whatever caused this extinction was a "factor" which effected both areas (land and Water). In Varaha Purana, the demon, Hirankyaksa was a massive land being and able to go into sea as well.

In the Purana, the Dewas had pleaded with their Lord to help after the Earth had sank, pleading that He should help the Earth because if He did not, the land dwellers have no place to live. Lord Vishnu entered the waters of the Ocean after the Earth sank due to the Demon King (causing massive extinction) and brought it up again.

The single proof that massive extinctions occured in both land and sea seems to support that whatever caused it was something similar to what the Purana stated it was in characteristics (Purana says it is a Demon).]

240 million - Triassic Period * Pangea begins to split apart into Laurasia and Gondwana * Age of Reptiles begins * first dinosaurs * pine forests * abundant clams, snails, modern corals, ammonoids, marine reptiles, and land reptiles * first small mammals

[The World is saved and the land masses are split into separate continents where Lifeforms could emerge and take their own individual forms.

Also, according to the Purana, Lord Brahma had started His work in designing Humans, and decided to give Humans the Vedas when they came to physical, mental and spiritual maturity required to understand it. The Vedas was stolen by Hiranskyaksa who probably wanted the Vedas for himself and the Asuras.

The fact that the 1st Mammals which later become descandents of Humans (and other primates) had started at this period shows that the Purana were correct in at least determining the origin time of Primates by pinpointing it to the 1st emerges of Mammals. ]

Source :

http://wwwf.countryday.net/FacStf/ms/schniebec/Time/Geologic%20Time%20Line.htm
http://www.scarborough.k12.me.us/high/projects/geoscience4/timeline/first.htm

[ Last edited by Sephiroth at 18-11-2005 07:53 AM ]

Sephiroth Publish time 5-9-2005 01:33 PM

Sorry for the late addition ... busy doing something urgently. Anyway, continue from where I have left before.
BTW, the story of Narashimha Avatar is one of my favorite. :)

Hirankyasipu and Narashimha Avatar

Hirankyasipu came to hear about his elder brother's (Hiranyaksa's) demise at hands of Lord Vishnu (who came as Varaha Avatar) and become angry and hateful of Lord Vishnu.

Under the guidances of Guru Sukrayacharya to meditated and perform tapas toward Lord Brahma, he went to a remote spot and begin to do severe tapas so he could obtain required to obtain victory over the Dewas. Years had passed as he continued to do the tapas. At the same time, Hirankyasipu's Queen - Queen Kayadhu was pregnant with his child at the moment.

[Note : Human pregnancy period and Demon's pregnancy period is different. Demons could stay pregnant for years while waiting the proper time for delivery.

One example of such can be seen in Nature itself. Animals do not mate on regular basis most of the time but during Spring and specific times where the best chance for its offspring to emerge strong and healthy. Matter a fact, humans (and some primates) are the only known creatures to have sex all year around ... not that anyone complaining ;). ]

Meanwhile, Indra - Ruler of Heaven, came to know about Hirankyasipu's severe penance (toward Lord Brahma) and could guess the demon's intention (since he still remembers the elder brother). Knowing that Hiranskyasipu is too strong to be attacked directly (to disturb his tapas), he decided to do something else instead. One can say he was still gripped by fear of what had happened to his realm under the attacks of Hirankyaksa before.

Taking his army to the demon's territory, Indra attacked unprovoked and killed hundreds of demons in the process. But Hirankyasipu had not given up his tapas to save his citizens, and this enraged Indra even more (especially when considering his enemy is not bothered about him). So, Indra decided to do something worse - which is against the Laws of Combat and Laws of the Dewas. He turn his attention toward Queen Kayadhu, and made her his prisoner. Yet, Hirankyasipu have not given up his tapas to save even his own wife.

Dragging the pregnant woman (he took her by force - which is another act unsuitable for a Dewa) cross the space (probably toward where Hirankyasipu was, he was stopped by no other than Dewarishis (Sage of the Dewas) - Narada.

Sage Narada asked who was the young, pregnant lady Indra was dragging along in such manner and Indra informed him of her identify. Sage Narada (in his irratating and sarcastic way) had imploded Indra with praises for his great "actions" of defeating a great and "dangerous" enemy of the Gods (referring to Queen Kayadhu herself, in her pregnant state), ensuring him that surely Lord Shiva, Lord Vishnu and Lord Brahma could surely be pleased with his actions.Indra blushed in embarrasment and came to his sensors, probably remembering that it was his actions for not performing tapas before which caused him to lose his Heaven and Lord Vishnu had to interfere (read : KurmaAvatar).

Asking what he should do with the Queen now, now that he cannot return her to the destroyed nation (of Demons below) or take her to Heaven (since she is a demon and surely will be ill-treated by others in Heaven, and that sin will fall upon him as well). Sage Narada, seeing that Indra had learned his mistake, accepted to take her to his abode in the World where she could await for her husband to come and take her back in peace.

Indra apologized to the Queen for his rude behaviour and disappeared and Sage Narada invited the Queen to his humble (wooden hut with straw roofs) abode on the World below (probably Earth since you cannot possibly find such else where).

Sage Narada is a simple person. He has no past-times other than to mumble Lord Vishnu's name and speak of His wonders. Queen Kayadhu become interested in hearing about this so-called "Enemy of the Asuras" as she often heard her husband and other Demons spoke of and Sage Narada spoke of the deeds of the Lord in detail.

Sage Narada spoke great details about it and even recided one of the mantras, "Aum Namo Vasudevaya Namaha" to the pregnant Queen which he advice to mumble when she is feeling upset and uncertain. What they didn't know however, was that the child inside the womb also hears all this stories (his mother had been hearing) and started to mumble the mantra even before he entered the World.

Time passes and Sage Narada help the Queen as best he could while she awaits for her husband to return. Hirankyasipu, who probably didn't know what had happened to his nation continued to do his tapas. Soon, pain of delivery begin to set in. Sage Narada, a bachelor and uncertain what to do in such condition, panicked and pray for the Lord to help. Lord Vishnu who heard Sage Narada's plead, send forth Maya (female being, created from Illusion energy - which all physical beings created from) forth to help.

Maya came down and informed Sage Narada of her intentions for coming and Sage Narada felt somewhat relieved. Maya then proceed to help Queen Kayadhu to deliver the child. A baby boy was born to her and Sage Narada held him (after Maya gave him to the mother). Queen Kayadhu requested him to name the child and he named him "Pralathan" which means (according to some website) Supremely Happy.

Meanwhile, the Dewas felt somewhat unassureable about Hirankyasipu and what must be done about him. Imploying Lord Brahma to help to end his tapas, Lord Brahma went down and spoke to him (since Hirankyasipu was meditating onto Lord Brahma).

Lord Brahma asked what boon he wanted and Hiranksipu informed him that he wanted a boon that he cannot be killed by man, beast, demons or dewas. He wanted boon that he is not to be killed by weapons made by man's hands, demon's hands, or dewa's hands. He wanted boon that he is not to be killed either in the day or at the night, either inside his castle or outside the castle. Lord Brahma accepted his requests and gave the boon. And with this, Hirankyasipu's severe tapas came to an end.

Sephiroth Publish time 20-9-2005 10:36 AM

Again, sorry for the late entry. :)

Hirankyasipu and Narashimha Avatar - Part 2

After receiving the boons from Lord Brahma, Hirankyasipu made his way back to his realm. Arriving there, he was shocked and angry at the state his realm and its people were, and furious to learn what the Dewas had did. The survivors of informed him on what had happened to Queen Kayadhu and he took off toward Heaven in order to reclaim his queen and seek revenge.

Not very sure how he managed to find out that Queen Kayadhu was in Sage Narada's hut (some say Sage Narada himself had intercepted him and informed the news and some says he found out on his own), any way, Hirankyasipu managed to find his way to Sage Narada's hut. Sage Narada welcomed him humbly to his hut and reunited him with his wife and now, his new son, Phalathan.

Hirankyasipu cannot hold a grudge toward Sage Narada for what he had done for his wife and family, despite of him being a devotee of the "person" who Hirankyasipu held responsible for the death of his elder brother. Thanking him, Hirankyasipu took back his wife and children back to his realm and started to rebuilt his armies and his kingdom once again.

It was only matter of time before the demons become strong enough to launch a new attack. Hirankyasipu attack the Heaven and Indra retailated. However, because Hirankyasipu cannot be killed by any Dewas or by means of any of their weapons (which included Astram - magical incantations), Hirankyasipu managed to gain victory over the Dewas. The Dewas themselves had drank Amiratham, therefore, cannot be killed, so he imprisoned them in his castle.

Meanwhile, years passed fast and Prathalan become a young boy. His devotion toward Lord Vishnu didn't change and he still mumbled the Mantra which Sage Narada had taught to him (through his mother).

It was very common among people (and beings) of the Old Age to send their childrens to "schools" where the children will live and become independant on their own. At same time, they are required to serve their teacher by providing service to them. This practise is still held in India and those who wished to learn ancient knowledge such as Ayurveda, Yoga and Varma Kalai (self-Defense) must live together with their guru and render service to them for years as they will teach you the arts which you seek. Prince and commoners mingle together in "schools" known as Ashrams (A-Sa-Ram).

Anyway, time for Pralathan's venture to learn in an Ashram draws near. King Hirankyasipu, who know ruled Heaven and the Pit, had arranged for him to be schooled at a respectable Asharam. His mother sad about him leaving her but Pralathan himself happy to go out into the world and learn new things.

[Enough here.

PS : Edited to add that Pralathan wasn't send to Sukracharya's Ashram as yet. He was send there later to be "detoxified" of his opsession with Lord Vishnu. ]

[ Last edited by Sephiroth at 20-9-2005 01:03 PM ]

Sephiroth Publish time 20-9-2005 01:31 PM

Pralathan's Life in Ashram and the Struggle to Come

Pralathan's life in Ashram, away from the Castle and his family was a happy and normal one. He studied under gurus who taught him how to use weapons, magical incantations and Art of War as what most Asura childrens were required to learn. However, many times, Pralathan will skip all this lessons and sit under a tree and meditate (upon Lord Vishnu). Such practise is uncommon among students and many of them didn't know what he was doing. Nevertheless, Pralathan didn't mind teaching others about art of Meditating as well.

The gurus in the Ashrams, despite of knowing this, didn't report the matter to the King. Probably because no one dared to take the responsiblity or maybe they were afraid that the child, being a King's son, will not work to the best of his interes to report about him (Pralathan).

Years passed, Pralathan's devotion toward Lord Vishnu become stronger (as it needed to be for the struggle ahead).

Meanwhile, King Hirankyasipu managed to capture the whole world and its inhabitants enslaved. His soldiers had informed him that spiritual practises, especially worshipping of Lord Vishnu (and Lord Shiva) still goes on strong among lifeforms on the Planet below, so he decided to put an end to it, probably to stop people from obtaining boons that could harm him in the future, the way he had obtain boons to ensure his invincibility.

Sending his army far and wide, he orders them to attack and kill any men who does spiritual practices, defile holy grounds, enslave those who surrenders and close down or destroy all temples to ensure that there will be no more spiritual practise in his domain.

The devotees suffered at his soldiers' hands and death and mayhem occurs everywhere. Soon, King Hirankyasipu himself came forth and proclaimed that he was a God (due to his invincibility) and therefore, ordered everyone (on the 3 realms - Heaven, Earth and the Pit) to worship him alone. Anyone who dared to worship any other God other than him were put to death.

After several years, Pralathan returned back to his Castle after fullfilling his study. The boy went to see his father at the Main Chamber where the King have audience with his subjects. King Hirankyasipu, happy to see his son took him and place him onto his laps and asked how was his studies. Pralathan informed him of everything he learned and complained no one could teach him about his "Lord".

Thinking the "Lord" here meant him (because he leveled himself as one), King Hirankyasipu asked who was his "Lord" and Pralathan informed that his "Lord" was the Maintainer of the Universe - Lord Vishnu. Furious that his own son could be worshipping his arch-enemy, King Hirankyasipu stood up, dropping the child from his laps and onto the floor and ordered the guards there to arrest the boy immediately.

Thus begins the epic struggle between the Son and his Father.

Pages: [1] 2 3
View full version: Mahabratha Epic - Part 1 of 3

ADVERTISEMENT