sHaH_ArYaN Publish time 30-3-2005 10:14 AM

Amitabha...

hi...

Just want to know what the word of "amitabha" mean?

[ Last edited by sHaH_ArYaN on 30-3-2005 at 01:27 PM ]

ariyamusafir Publish time 30-3-2005 11:51 AM

Originally posted by sHaH_ArYaN at 30-3-2005 10:14:
hi...

Just want to know what the word of "amithabaa" mean?

You know what Gotama means right??? Gotama is the name of a Buddha and you have heard of his name. Well, Buddha Amitabha is a Buddha and achieve pari-nibbana way before Buddha Gotama. Before Buddha Gotama, there were many Buddha. The next sammasam Buddha after Buddha Gotama will be Maitreya

sHaH_ArYaN Publish time 30-3-2005 01:21 PM

Originally posted by ariyamusafir at 30-3-2005 11:51 AM:

You know what Gotama means right??? Gotama is the name of a Buddha and you have heard of his name. Well, Buddha Amitabha is a Buddha and achieve pari-nibbana way before Buddha Gotama. Before Bu ...

Can you brief me more detail about it.
What is the different between Buddha Amitabha and Buddha Gotama?
I saw lot of car, put a sticker of Amitabha but not a sticker of Gotama.
Why?

alpha Publish time 30-3-2005 05:33 PM

amitabha the word itself means "Infinite Lights Buddha" 無量光佛

ariyamusafir Publish time 30-3-2005 06:00 PM

Originally posted by sHaH_ArYaN at 30-3-2005 13:21:

Can you brief me more detail about it.
What is the different between Buddha Amitabha and Buddha Gotama?
I saw lot of car, put a sticker of Amitabha but not a sticker of Gotama.
Why?

Many wishes to be reborn in his Western Land of Bliss after their death. As to your question what is the difference, I answer you this way, what is the difference when you see two monks of equall wisdom and capabilities and of high moral? Same here. Buddha Sakyamuni is a Buddha, Buddha Amitabha is another Buddha, and we can, too one day be a buddha. All of us can be a Buddha one day, if not Buddha, a maha-Arahant (buddhist saint). So, Buddha Amitabha became a Buddha before the time when Buddha Sakyamuni became a Buddha.

Btw, it doesn't matter what car sticker you put on. All Buddhas are the fully enlightened and well awakened ones. So, our respects and veneration towards all Buddha are the same.

[ Last edited by ariyamusafir on 11-4-2005 at 01:26 AM ]

Vijaya Publish time 30-3-2005 09:35 PM

Originally posted by ariyamusafir at 30-3-2005 06:00 PM:

Many wishes to be reborn in his Western Land of Bliss after their death. As to your question what is the difference, I answer you this way, what is the difference when you see two monks of equa ...

if u r willing to...u oso can be another Amitabha Buddha.

ariyamusafir Publish time 31-3-2005 12:39 AM

Originally posted by Vijaya at 30-3-2005 21:35:

if u r willing to...u oso can be another Amitabha Buddha.

Actually, we can one day be a Sammasam Buddha, or a Pecceka Buddha, or a maha-Arahant.

sHaH_ArYaN Publish time 1-4-2005 09:13 AM

Thanks for that information...

byitong Publish time 5-4-2005 11:15 PM

anyway i would like to reply to topic on "amitabha", gotama tell us the way that amitabha get attainment.

he told us this because his attaiment is the easiet way to get attainment in wertern paradise. the way he told us is by reciting amitabha's name over and over again.

there are various way in gettin attainment in buddha hood and also wertern paradise.

Note from moderator: Bonus credit given.

[ Last edited by ariyamusafir on 6-4-2005 at 01:31 AM ]

lyhmsia Publish time 28-4-2005 07:39 AM

Amitabha Buddha

If I'm not mistake each Buddha or Bodhisatva have their own vow.

For instance, Kuan Yin's (Amitabha Buddha) vow:
"If a suffering being hears the name of Avalokitesvara Bodhisattva and earnestly calls out to the bodhisattva, Avalokitesvara will hear the call and redeem that being from his suffering" ("Universal Gateway," Lotus Sutra).

Amitabha's vow:
Before Amitabha Buddha attained Buddhahood, he promised to create a delightful and wonderful realm called the Pure Land, or "Western Pure Land of Ultimate Bliss," where inhabitants are freed from the cycle of birth and death so they can focus singlemindedly on attaining enlightenment. Amitabha pledged that once he became a Buddha, he would guarantee that anyone who one-pointedly recited his name with a sincere desire to be reborn in the Pure Land would indeed be reborn there. When Amitabha Buddha attained Buddhahood, he fulfilled this vow.

Thus, he created a world that allow us concentrate on learning Buddhism which is known as pure land.

Sephiroth Publish time 28-4-2005 08:43 AM

by lyhmsia

Thus, he created a world that allow us concentrate on learning Buddhism which is known as pure land.

Learning or practising Buddhism? Or both? :hmm:

I think we have problem with both in this world, though.

Vijaya Publish time 29-4-2005 03:12 AM

Originally posted by lyhmsia at 28-4-2005 07:39 AM:
Amitabha Buddha

If I'm not mistake each Buddha or Bodhisatva have their own vow.

For instance, Kuan Yin's (Amitabha Buddha) vow:
"If a suffering being hears the name of Avalokitesvara ...

Kuan Yin Bodhisatta is the student of Amitabha Buddha.

wei_loon5063 Publish time 22-4-2007 05:30 AM

Originally posted by ariyamusafir at 30-3-2005 11:51 AM
You know what Gotama means right??? Gotama is the name of a Buddha and you have heard of his name. Well, Buddha Amitabha is a Buddha and achieve pari-nibbana way before Buddha Gotama. Before...

gautama is the pioneer of buddism right??

if so why amitabha attain nibbana before gautama??

amitabha is student of gautama??

tickmeoff Publish time 22-4-2007 12:17 PM

There are many buddhas in our world system and also other world systems.

Our current aeon will have 5, Gotama is the current buddha, the next one will be Matrieya - the last of the aeon.

Amitabha attained enlightenment many many aeons ago...

wei_loon5063 Publish time 22-4-2007 03:40 PM

Reply #14 tickmeoff's post

aeon???? ?????

SONofODIN Publish time 22-4-2007 04:37 PM

Amitabha, Sanskrit word, literally means boundless light and boundless life. He is the Buddha in the Land of Ultimate Bliss (Pure Land), in which all beings enjoy unbounded happiness. Amitabha has forty-eight great vows to establish and adorn his Pure Land. People also recite or call upon his name by the time of dying will be born in the Land of Ultimate Bliss with the reception by Amitabha. Amitabha is one of the most popular and well-known Buddha in China.

This is the Buddha Land of Amitabha Buddha. In Amitabha Sutra, there is full description about this Pure Land. This is the world of utmost joy without suffering. With the spiritual power of Amitabha Buddha, all beings in this world will understand Buddhism easily and practise diligently, and attain enlightenment eventually. Therefore by reciting Amitabha Buddha's name, Buddhist followers hope that they will be born in this Pure Land after their lives on earth.

Nine Stages of Lotus Flowers or Nine Grades, Classes of Lotus Flowers, i.e. upper superior, middle superior, lower superior, upper medium, middle medium, lower medium, upper inferior, middle inferior and lower inferior, which represent ninefold future life into Pure Land. The nine grades, or rewards, of the Pure Land, corresponding to the nine grades of development in the previous life, upon which depends, in the next life, one's distance from Amitabha, the consequent aeons that are required to approach Amitabha, and whether one's lotus will open early or late.

1.Those of genuine faith and firm resolution, who are still distracted of mind during reciting, will be born into the lower inferior of the Buddhaland.

2.Those who have overcome their distractions more or less will be born into the middle inferior.

3.Those who are free from distractions will be born into the upper inferior.

The aforementioned three grades of beings, though still subjected to illusions of perceptions, would be born in the Buddhaland where saints and layman live together (the four Buddhalands of Supreme Happiness are all Pure Lands). Once born there, never will they recede. (According to the doctrine of some other Buddhist sects, however, one must wipe out all illusions from perception if he is to attain the coveted Never-Receding Position.)

Those who can recite without negligence and distraction at all times and also recite with an unperturbed mind like an Arhat, shall be born into the Temporary Realm and shall be graded in the upper, middle and lower, medium.

Those who can realise, by self-experiencing, the ultimate reality under-lying everything, and non-differentiation between mind and Buddha, and who, like the Ignorance-free Bodhisattvas, are detached from any influence, shall be graded in the upper superior, middle superior or lower superior and shall be born in The Realm of Permanent Reward and Freedom and the Realm of Eternal Light and Tranquillity.

As it is profound, simple and adaptable to the followers at all levels, the Name-reciting Method is popular, appealing and universal.

[ Last edited bySONofODIN at 22-4-2007 04:39 PM ]

SONofODIN Publish time 22-4-2007 04:45 PM

Originally posted by wei_loon5063 at 22-4-2007 03:40 PM
aeon???? ?????

The Latin word aeon, also spelled eon or 鎜n, means "age," "forever," or "for eternity". It is derived from the koine Greek word αίών (aion), which at one point meant "age," "a period of existence" or "life". It has a similar meaning to the Sanskrit word kalpa.
In geology, the word eonis quantitatively refers to a period of time of around 1,000,000,000 (1 billion) years. However, geologists refer to the period in which animals evolved into abundance as the Phanerozoic Eon, which has only lasted 545 million years, to the present day.

wei_loon5063 Publish time 22-4-2007 05:13 PM

Reply #17 SONofODIN's post

that I know......

I`ve check dictionary......

What I want to know is the meaning in buddism

tickmeoff Publish time 22-4-2007 05:29 PM

Samsara is without end or beginning. IN every cycle, there will be formation, change, degradation, destruction. it happens to every life form and to also the universe tht weknow today.

for this current aeon, it is known as a fortunate aeon because 5 buddha will arise.

Matrieya will be the last buddha to arise in our world , at the current aeon, which is not due until few million years from now.

you have not heard about matrieya?

wei_loon5063 Publish time 22-4-2007 05:39 PM

Reply #19 tickmeoff's post

I think I heard of it but different terms.........
Pages: [1] 2 3
View full version: Amitabha...

ADVERTISEMENT