Sephiroth Publish time 14-2-2005 09:11 AM

What's going on in Malaysia (Berita Sensasi)

:P Brought to you by yours truly. :P

Ever since Fluerza's thread about functions in Hindu society, I have been looking for information about this events.

What I found out is, the Hindu Calendar doesn't change much every year so this events she asked about is yearly events (most of them anyway). So I decided to open this thread which will tell the readers about such events as Hindus about to celebrate it in real world.

It will serve as information for non-Hindus to know what going on with Hindus around them. I have a Hindu friend of mine (not from this board) who will SMS me if such events occurs and I will also look into it in local newspapers.

And since this functions doesn't come every day, you guys have to watch out for update now and then.

Also, I will be informing you of interesting events in Hindu temples etc.

Sephiroth Publish time 14-2-2005 09:14 AM

Did you guys read yesterday's (13/2/2005) STAR newspaper?

A Chinese Businessman had hired a Lion Dance Association to perform dance in a Hindu (Ganesha) Temple in KL. According to him, he was happy that his prayers were answered at that temple and decided to give thanks in such a way during Chinese New Year.

Adm_Cheng_Ho Publish time 18-2-2005 08:23 AM

I think Ganesha might be amused with those little lions. :lol

Sephiroth Publish time 18-2-2005 08:38 AM

Oh well ... Elephants are not threaten by lions. Usually they just walk pass each other without any incidents.

It could be amusing if the dance troupe could use dragons. Now that's something new. But I doubt the temple have enough rooms for Chinese Dragon Dance. Space is not something you have a lot in Hindu Temple, especially near the shrine. People usually gather at halls for speech, mass prayers and such.

Looking forward to see more such news in the future. It is not rare to see Chinese in Thaipusam and Deepavalli times and if you go to Buddhist shrines during Wesak Days, you could see Indians there also.

Adm_Cheng_Ho Publish time 18-2-2005 08:48 AM

Yes indeed.

My mum took part in Thaipusam celebration in Batu Caves at her 19 with her friends from the village. At that time, it is like a trend to the villagers to visit the site and follow the procession like a Hindu akin to pilgrimage.

I plan to visit the place with my camcorder one day and captures the event and publish on my site to share with my friends in the UK.

Sephiroth Publish time 18-2-2005 09:03 AM

OK, good luck.

Thaipusam in Batu Caves is a bit crowd, so you may not get a good shot at anything. You may try Penang temple or Maran, Pahang Temple during Thaipusam.

Adm_Cheng_Ho Publish time 20-2-2005 05:36 PM

Vasant Panchami

Vasant (or Basant) Panchami is celebrated by Hindus to herald the coming of Spring. It is celebrated on the 13th Feb this year.

In north India ( all states north of the Vindhyas ), it is celebrated as Sri Saraswati Puja, a festival dedicated to the worship of Sri Saraswati, the Goddess of learning, knowledge and education. This festival is especially popular with the students who celebrate it very enthusiastically.

Here is a small 'mantra' dedicated to Sri Saraswati, together with its english translation:
"Ya kundendu tushaar haar dhavala, Ya shubhra vastravrita ! Ya veena var dand manditkara, Ya shveta padma asana !! Ya Brahma Achyut Shankara prabhutibhi, Devai sada vandita ! Sa maam patu Saraswati Bhagvati nih sheesh jaah aaphaa !!"

"May Goddess Saraswati, who is fair like the Jasmine coloured moon and whose pure white garland is like frosty dew drops, who is adorned with radiant white clothes and on whose beautiful palm rests the Veena, whose throne is a white lotus and who is surrounded and respected by Gods beginning with Lord Brahma, Lord Vishnu and Lord Shankar, protect me. I beseech Her to totally remove my laziness and sluggishness"

Vasant Panchami is also associated with Sri Krishna, the Supreme Personality of Godhead. It is celebrated in a big way in Vrindavan, the place associated with Sri Krishna, the Supreme Personality of Godhead, and the place most sacred to Vaishnava. In Vrindavan, the temples are lavishly decorated with fresh flowers, mostly marigold, and there is lot of singing, dancing and staging of dramas and plays depicting scenes from His life.

Do Hindus celebrate this in Malaysia since we do not have spring season here...?

Sephiroth Publish time 22-2-2005 08:43 AM

by Adm_Cheng_Ho

Do Hindus celebrate this in Malaysia since we do not have spring season here...?

:hmm: Doesn't need spring to celebrate. Seasons maybe different but the times of the year should be same.

I think Hindus do celebrate it but not in such as great extend. More like a small organization of celebration here and there, which kind of sad considering they have a lot of good celebrations in their calendar.

Sephiroth Publish time 14-4-2005 08:31 AM

OK ... For all readers, According to Hindus, today is "Chitra Putande" (literally means New Year for Hindus (Chitra's a month in Hindu Calendar).

According to the radio, it is the Year of Vishnu (so, I persume we will see some interesting things).

Also, Burma and Thailand also celebrating their own New Year this week (I think today but not sure).

So, to ALL Hindus ... HAPPY NEW YEAR. :bgrin:

Sephiroth Publish time 16-4-2005 11:30 AM

BTW ... is it just me or did someone else listened to some news (on the radio) which never made it to the newspapers? :hmm:

Two weeks ago, during the last severe earthquakes in Indonesia, Tamil news (in the radio) had reported briefly that a Buddha's statue was discovered. It was under the water till the earthquake unloosened it and then, resurfaced.

I waited for follow-up in the news but nothing came after that. I brought STAR newspaper but nothing was reported except for some sea cucumbers (I'm very sure I can differentiate between a Sea cumber and Buddha statues by hearing it).

This morning, again, Tamil radio reported that someone (a party of unknown people) had hatched plan to bomb Sri Meenashi Temple (I persume it is in India since there is one in Malaysia and in US) but the party was arrested by the police before they could do anything.

Again, I was waiting for the follow-up news in the radio but nothing came. I brought newspaper but haven't read it properly.

So ... do anyone knows about this events? Why is it that there is no follow-up news in radios (AND TV for that matter, especially from TV3 which LOVE to waste people's time with one hour of useless news)? :hmm:

Also, there is no news of New Year Celebrations for Hindus AND Sikhs, while grand scale celebrations for New Year in Thailand and North Malaysia is conducted within this week.

I have seen news in newspapers but other than that, nothing on TV.

The government should LEARN how to deal with non-Muslims community first before they can preach to the world about Muslim-non-Muslims tolerance and co-existence.

Sephiroth Publish time 19-5-2005 02:08 PM

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/indiatajdispute

Hindus and Muslims fighting over a Graveyard in India. ;)

I never did like Taj Mahal. To me, it symbolizes slavery of Hindus during Muslim era. But idiotic Hindus and Indians calls it Symbol of Love. ;)

Over 2,000 Hindus from villages in Deccan Valley was brought in and told to built this monument. The designer himself, after completing the monument was blinded in both eyes by the king who feared that he will go and built another one like Taj Mahal somewhere else.

Cost of building it was taken from ransacking Hindu temples, Villages and other Hindu kingdoms in the south. If those money were used to benefit the people, Fine ... I will be happy because God doesn't need jewerly, gold, silver and diamonds but devotions.

Hell, even if Taj Mahal was a Mosque, I still be a happy fellow because then India, by Indians' hands, have contributed one of the most beautiful structure on the face of the Earth to Allah.

But what does Taj Mahal built for? A WOMEN. :agr:

Sephiroth Publish time 6-7-2005 07:59 AM

INDIATIMES NEWS NETWORK[ TUESDAY, JULY 05, 2005 03:41:05 PM ]

Terrorists entered Sri Ram Temple in Ayodhya ... and No, they didn't go there to pray either. ;)

Source : http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/1161060.cms

5 Parasites ... ahem ... Terrorists were gun down like dogs (hehehehehe) and the problem solved in two hours by Police. One arrest has been made, it seems.

Sephiroth Publish time 12-7-2005 09:06 AM

http://www.hindustantimes.com/news/181_1427358,00080003.htm?headline=Snake~dies~after~biting~priest!!!

A snake bites a priest. The snake vomits blood and dies. The priest recovers -- it all happened in a Jharkhand village and is being attributed to Lord Shiva's blessings.

Indo-Asian News Service
Ranchi, July 11, 2005

Sephiroth Publish time 12-7-2005 10:59 AM

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/1763950.stm

Marine scientists in India say an archaeological site off India's western coast may be up to 9,000 years old.

The revelation comes about 8 months after acoustic images from the sea-bed suggested the presence of built-up structures resembling the ancient Harappan civilisation, which dates back around 4,000 years.

Sephiroth Publish time 7-9-2005 10:16 AM

Source : http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2005/9/7/nation/11968422&sec=nation

PUCHONG: Thousands thronged a humble-looking temple here after a five-metre long King Cobra, which appears to be albino and had coiled itself around the Amman deity at its main altar since Monday, became the talk of the town.

Sephiroth Publish time 8-9-2005 01:23 PM

A Muslim woman's Hindu temple in Varanasi

Source : http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/1045981.cms

Noor Fatima, who laid the foundation for the Shiva Temple, claimed that Shiva had visited her in her dream, prompting her to build the temple. Although Fatima's faith strictly prohibits idol worship, she decided to build the temple out of respect and tolerance for Hinduism.

PS : The Snake which came to the temple in Puchong (above news) said to have left the temple today (according to the STAR). I guess its purpose is fullfilled and it went its own way.

Gravedigger Publish time 9-9-2005 12:33 AM

Originally posted by Sephiroth at 8-9-2005 01:23 PM
Noor Fatima, who laid the foundation for the Shiva Temple, claimed that Shiva had visited her in her dream, prompting her to build the temple. Although Fatima's faith strictly prohibits idol worship, she decided to build the temple out of respect and tolerance for Hinduism.

Now i get it...so thats how temple was built. Is the temple legal or not?... 'cause in Malaysia we called it 'kuil haram jadah' and getting bigger and bigger everyday.

Sephiroth Publish time 24-10-2005 08:43 AM

It seems that they (Disney) are going to make a movie based on Sri Hanuman. Very interesting news. :)

Source :
http://us.rediff.com/movies/2005/oct/21hanuman.htm?q=mp&file=.htm
http://specials.rediff.com/movies/2005/oct/19hsld1.htm

Freako Publish time 24-10-2005 10:27 PM

Originally posted by Sephiroth at 8-9-2005 01:23 PM
A Muslim woman's Hindu temple in Varanasi

Source : http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/1045981.cms

Noor Fatima, who laid the foundation for the Shiva Temple, cl ...

Not bad..at least the muslims there are brave enough to come forward and tell this.........but here in malaysia,they dare not.....why?bcos the Jabatan Agama Islam will be chasing them then......hahaha...

Sephiroth Publish time 31-10-2005 11:00 AM

NEW DELHI - A caller claimed Sunday that a little-known Islamic group in the   Kashmir insurgency was behind terror bombings that killed at least 59 people at two crowded markets the day before in India's capital.

Source : http://news.yahoo.com/fc/world/india

When is India going to learn not to play with untamed Snakes? ;)

Anyway, on similar news, Malaysian PM send his condoscenes this morning to India regarding the attack.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
View full version: What's going on in Malaysia (Berita Sensasi)

ADVERTISEMENT