PetterJhon Publish time 20-7-2019 02:44 PM

SCARFACE (1983)

Edited by PetterJhon at 1-12-2021 09:08 PM

Hello everyone,,
When I was 13, I fucking loved “Scarface.” I watched it over and over again so much, my mom bought me a “Scarface” pajama set for Christmas. I wanted to be brazen and fearless, just like Tony Montana (even though the whole point of the movie is you don't want to be like Tony Montana).

That's not to say I don't love the movie as much as I didTweakbox Appvalley https://vlc.onl
when I was younger. This is thanks mostly to Brian De Palma's direction and Oliver Stone's script. I love the wide shots that linger for long periods of time. There's a lot of slow-moving dialogue scenes in the second act, but I never found myself bored or disinterested. The character dynamics are always interesting enough to keep your attention.

The movie is a lot funnier than I remember. I found myself laughing throughout most of the movie. Somehow, Al Pacino blends being serious Tony Montana with having some great quips and comedic timing (“That guy's gonna stick his tongue out to that girl!” “You know what? Fuck you! How about that?”). He completely immerses himself in the role. Not once do I ever see Al Pacino doing a performance. I only see Tony Montana.

There's some great supporting actors as well. I love Steven Bauer as Manny and Paul Shenar as Alejandro Sosa. Michelle Pfeiffer is especially impressive. Her presence is enough to make you forget the fact that there's little to no female characters in the movie (besides Gina and Tony's mom). Throughout the movie, the characters do nothing but treat women like trophies, which is why it's so satisfying when Elvira stands up to Tony by throwing wine in his face or calling him an asshole.

Many people complain about how dated “Scarface” is, but that's one of the things I love about it. To me, this movie is the embodiment of the '80s, with the style, the fashion, and the music. I love the soundtrack, along with Giorgio Moroder's synth score. The music in the opening title crawl still gives me chills. It makes me nostalgic for an era I never even lived in.

What are your thoughts on the movie? What do you like about it and what do you dislike about it?

Pages: [1]
View full version: SCARFACE (1983)

ADVERTISEMENT